Guitars- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

There is a fine line between Good and Bad...

... and between Ugly and Beauty :D

Tyler+Studie+Elite+Burning+Water+2K+003.jpg
What brand is that?

As somebody who does quite a bit of relic work I know what you mean. I hate relic guitars that look like relic guitars. It should just look real, vintage but play better. The reason they are a hit is because it makes for an affordable alternative to serious vintage without the worry of being ripped off. Then they almost always play better than the originals with modern fit and finish. And finally a certificate to prove it is the real thing. For the price of one really bad refinish 30% of it missing 60s strat (swapped) you can get 2 or even 3 standard CS Relics. My thread of making a relic should make anyone wary of getting in to the vintage market without a lot of prior work. Imagin if I added all the tooling marks and used clone hardware and I can easily get necks and bodies without branding that can be made to fool all but the most experienced.
@Andy Eagle, I think you know I seriously respect your work. It's beautiful, and I didn't mean anything that should be taken otherwise.

I just know that for me personally, buying a new guitar made to look old and beat with use would just feel weird. I might put up with it for a guitar I loved in every other way, but all other things being equal, not my thing.

@Andy Eagle, I think you know I seriously respect your work. It's beautiful, and I didn't mean anything that should be taken otherwise.

I just know that for me personally, buying a new guitar made to look old and beat with use would just feel weird. I might put up with it for a guitar I loved in every other way, but all other things being equal, not my thing.
Oh I didn't. I am in partial agreement with you and totally respect your point of view. Absolutely no offence taken by anyones view on this.

Here's a combo answer. For about 20 years I never picked up a Flying V because I just "knew" I would hate them. Then one day I strapped one on and boy did I feel stupid.

A Frankenstein I've made with a $48 poplar body and a $77 scalloped neck from AliExpress.

A seriously pleasant surprise. It has a great resonance. As a matter of fact, it has more resonance than the F@c'in Suhr (pictured below) that has a dead note!! It plays flawlessly, and I love the scalloped neck

Bridge: Floyd Rose Original
Neck Pickup: Harmonic Design Z90
Bridge Pickup: Dimarzio Gravity Storm
Middle Pickup: OriPure Alnico V - Another pleasant surprise from AliExpress that can compete with the most expensive boutique pickups

Full story here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nded-building-a-new-guitar-from-parts.175412/

01-jpg.87568

Now it is almost finished. Only pending to fill these useless tone control holes:
View attachment 90902
p.s.: the ugly cat sticker will go out, although I find it more tasteful than bird inlays
Ha....looks like the cat is pooping fret markers. Love it

I'll base this on my short stop at the guitar store today. I never plugged any in; just held in hands for a good 5-10 min each playing acoustically mostly focusing on feel of the instrument.

G: out of an array of PRS guitars I actually liked the S2 Mccarty 22 standard.
B: Suhr Limited Edition Legacy Suhr burst w/Emg's. This was the reason I made the trip and was lowkey kind of hoping to pull the trigger but I wasnt' overly impressed with the finish and feel given the hefty price tag.
U: There were a few LTD guitars that are probably killer guitars but I can't bond with the metal 80's style of the headstocks. Purely subjective thing. Go ahead and lynch me on that. I'm okay with it.

Here's a combo answer. For about 20 years I never picked up a Flying V because I just "knew" I would hate them. Then one day I strapped one on and boy did I feel stupid.
I should clarify that I felt stupid because I liked it so much, after ignoring them for so long.

I should clarify that I felt stupid because I liked it so much, after ignoring them for so long.
Kinda good that you did (clarify), because I thought you meant it had reaffirmed your earlier opinion, and you felt stupid with it on, which is how I'd feel, because I don't look cool enough to pull it off (or young enough.)

Kinda good that you did (clarify), because I thought you meant it had reaffirmed your earlier opinion, and you felt stupid with it on, which is how I'd feel, because I don't look cool enough to pull it off (or young enough.)
If you can rock a Majesty, seems like you'd be OK with a V.

I am not sure if you will find out exactly what was used for it but as long as you listen to it and judge which gear is likely to be used for you based on the ear you can get there quickly. That's just my thoughts about it.
Inspired by another thread, I wanted to post an opinion about a brand of guitar but didn't want to derail the thread. Then I thought, why not have a thread that isn't solely bashing something but has a positive spin as well. Rules are simple, each reply should have one of the following:

1. The Good: A guitar you have played that was a pleasant surprise.
2. The Bad: A guitar you have played and were unpleasantly surprised with.
3. The Ugly: A guitar you would like to play but can't get past the way it looks.

1 and 2 must be a guitar you've played, this is kind of the point of this thread. There are a lot of glowing reviews and opinions about guitars out there but which have lived up to the hype and which haven't?

Here's my first GBU list:
1. Fender Triple Tele: Bought as a base for a Tele build but the playability and the tones from the unique 3 bridge pickup configuration really surprised me. It's one of only a few guitars I've owned that hasn't had the pickups replaced. I also have a 2004 American Deluxe Strat and PRS CE24, the playability of the TT is on par with both of them and one of my favorite guitars to play.

2. Duesenberg: This brand was on my radar and I was certain I was going to get one. A friend has a Paloma that needed a setup so I was able to see firsthand what all the hype was about. While it sounded really good and the tremolo is very stable, the quality of construction and other parts used was a very unpleasant surprise. If this particular guitar is indicative of the brand, I have to agree with those who say they are grossly over-priced. If a used one popped up under $800, I might have to think hard about it though.

3. As much as I would like to try one, I just can't bring myself to play a headless guitars. I'm usually one who tells players to quite obsessing over the shape of the headstock but to not have one at all is taking it a bit too far. The Strandberg Boden is pretty cool looking guitar and almost distracts me enough but the cutout for the tremolo combined with the headless neck is just too much of a departure from 'traditional' for me.

G: Indonesian made Ibanez AZ. Just a really well made guitar with a rock solid neck. Light weight, good pickups, lots of options. It’s my main gigging guitar for my rock band.
B: 2015 Gibson Les Paul with an endless array of quality issues. Also a custom shop ES Les Paul with an F hole. The fit and finish was just awful.
U: Any guitar that has a black finish and a rosewood or other brown looking fretboard. I just can’t bear to look at them.

1. PRS SE Custom 24-08. Total game changer for me, can't put it down. Sorry, R7 and R9.
2. JW Van T-style. Normally I love Teles, but I could never bond with this. Frets are HUGE.
3. Anything black with all black hardware. No no no no no no NO!

The only thing keeping me from playing or spending money on an 8 string is multi scale. After exhausting myself reading all I could on sevenstring it looks like there was a single model that everyone agreed was perfect, and it was also $2k more than I could ever pay or spend.

The best looking one I saw looked like a Biden metal based guitar with strange curvy frets. I don’t like fanned fret but if they were able to make perfect intonation then there something very new

(Excuse me, but the white guitar is a Biden metal 8? Or did I count wrong, sorry I’m on my phone )
Did you maybe post in the wrong thread? There are no Boden (or "Biden" ;)) guitars in the discussion so far...

Back
Top Bottom