Guitar wall hangers - Neck damage?

Philip

Inspired
A friend warned me that he thinks the neck of one of his basses was damaged by hanging it on a wall hanger. I have a few guitars hanging on my wall and never really thought about the effect on the neck, given it seems like every music store I have ever been to hangs guitars on display.

Anyone heard of neck warping from the weight of the guitar as it hangs?

Nothing to worry about?

Thanks,

Phil

I don't think the weight does that by itself. By hanging the guitar you are exposing it to the surrounding humidity/dryness and that would cause the issues. I love to display my mistresses but they are best hidden away.

I've wondered this myself as I have a "hanging" stand as well as a wall hanger. From what I've been able to read around the web, some people get concerned about hanging heavier guitars with a set neck like an LP - the concern being related to having weight focused on the neck/body joint over an extended time period (not so much a concern for lighter and/or bolt guitars). There's mixed opinion though since many guitar stores hang guitars for months / years with no issue before they are ultimately purchased.

I have 8 guitars on wall hangers in the room with me right now, and have been using them for ages. Never had a problem.

I have seen a few impressive collections on wall hangers. My opinion is it has more to do with the room environment since you are leaving the guitars exposed to the elements.

I have 8 guitars on wall hangers in the room with me right now, and have been using them for ages. Never had a problem.

I try to keep my basement humidified at 40-50%.
Have a humidifier for the whole house for the winter, and use AC in the summer.
Leave my guitars out year round. Only slight variations from season to season requiring a truss rod tweak.

IMHO its just BS... You can hang a guitar from its tuning pegs for 100 years and warping still has nothing to do with this...

Been using wall hangers on most of my guitars for years with no ill effects.

I even have a '74 Les Paul Deluxe which had a headstock repair 30 years ago. It hangs on the wall hanger on the EXACT point the headstock snapped at, and I've never had a problem with it.

From what I've read, damage to nitro coating is the worst thing, other than nitro there seems to be no problem unless of course your hanger is positioned over a radiator or in direct sunlight, or on a cold wall, etc. Anyway position of the hanger seems to be the important thing.

All my guitars are on "Off the Wall Hangers" and have been since the middle 90's here. No issues with any guitar.

Many eons ago....

DCP00722.jpg

Over my desk (current):

2012-09-03_11-49-08_36.jpg

From what I've read, damage to nitro coating is the worst thing...
Most modern hooks have padding that's chemically inert and won't hurt a nitro finish. On most older hooks with chemically active padding, the padding has already cracked and gone to heck. :)

All my guitars are on "Off the Wall Hangers" and have been since the middle 90's here. No issues with any guitar.

Many eons ago....

DCP00722.jpg

Over my desk (current):

2012-09-03_11-49-08_36.jpg

The OCD in me is thinking someone might walk in through the door and bang one of those beauties haha....nice collection ;)

Been using wall hangers for years with no problems. Guitars are tools and hangers keep the tools organized and accessible, while not taking up any floor space. I love being able to quickly grab an axe when inspiration strikes, rather than digging the one i want out of a pile of cases.

The OCD in me is thinking someone might walk in through the door and bang one of those beauties haha....nice collection ;)

:D

The door on the left is a bathroom with two doors; that particular door is one of them, it is locked and now also blocked by a shelf unit; no one is coming through that door. That's an old picture, like 2003. The other door (on the right) is a closet. ;)

Back
Top Bottom