Guitar recommendation?

jimfist

Fractal Fanatic
Can anyone recommend me a guitar that is not entry level quality, but certainly not necessarily high end pro either, perhaps in the sub-$500 new/used ballpark, that will get me a nice variety of tones that will cover both Les Paul type sounds and Strat sounds, if such a thing does exist as a stock guitar (I'm guessing a H-S-H or H-S-S pickup config)? I don't need a whammy bar. I just want to have something of decent quality that stays in tune to make some noise with and amuse myself. I'm not a guitarist and use the AxeFx for bass primarily, but love the sounds you can get on a 6 stringer just for the fun of it.

Thanks!

I think the "best of both worlds" setup is a three-pickup configuration with a bridge humbucker and two single coils. You can find stratocasters with this pickup configuration for less than $500.

I have had a Pacifica 604 as my main Strat type guitar for many years. Always kinda wanted a fender strat (I am a huge Floyd fan) but... My Yamaha plays better, is more versatile and sounds great. I actually have an Anderson bridge humbucker set aside that I always meant to throw in, but the Pacifica sounds great the way it is so I never got around to it. It's not my only guitar. It's not my best guitar. But damn if it isn't a workhorse that I reach for often.

Both already mentioned. Yamaha Pacifica and PRS SE. Prices seem to have gone up on the PRS SE models since first introduced, but I've seen low prices on used earlier models.

On another semi-related note, Yamaha APX acoustics are good build quality, sound very good, have an easy to play neck and low action, and are surprisingly affordable.

I remember a guy stringing one with a light gauge electric set for an interesting sound, and super easy to play. Kind of a budget Chet Atkins SST.

Last edited:
Another vote for a used PRS SE. One of my SE axes is a Custom 22 I picked up used on eBay for about $300. Sounded great stock, but I spent another $125 or so on a pair of Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbuckers and a couple of push-pull pots for coil splitting. That made it very versatile. It has become one of my main stage axes. Plays and sounds great, and it wasn't so expensive that I'll cry if it gets a ding or two.

Excellentl! Thanks everyone for the feedback. This gives me a lot of great ideas to start with. The Yamaha Pacifica line sounds like it's worth a try given the positive recommendations.

Please, keep the suggestions coming, and thanks all for the feedback. Yamaha Pacifica will be getting a very close look. I'm hoping finances work out so I can pick up a guitar soon as a Christmas present to me.

Though I'm a bassist, I sort of fell in love all over again with the AxeFxII when my buddy expressed interest in replacing his Lexicon MPX G2 guitar rig, and let me borrow one of his guitars to make some AxeFx demo presets for him. He gave me a Heritage Les Paul to use, and I monitored via active Atomic CLR.

I Loaded up latest firmware and was off to the races making presets using the 50watt Plexi, Brit 800 Mod, 6160, and Double Verb models going into complimentary UltraRes cab IRs and using the awesome post processing of the new Preamp module. A touch of reverb in High Q mode, and DAAAUHM! I'm completely addicted, even though I'm a total hack on 6 string. I could probably spend 3 hours a day melting my face with the 50 Watt Plexi (High) amp model alone (THWAAACK!), but really, all of the amp models listed above were a whole lot of fun to play (love the 6160 a LOT!). The Intelligent Gate is excellent, too. It's so easy now and sounds so good, it's almost criminal. I don't understand why any guitarist would hesitate to go the AxeFxII route for their core amp/cab tones. Way...too...easy.

Anyhoo...that's the story behind the story. :victorious:

recently PRS Santana III (used)

Among my 12 guitars best ever humbucker pickups.Articulate fine nothing muddy.Eat my EPI LP+Ibanez for breakfast

To seriously start with anything is fine,2nd step would be a Fender Hwy 1 Strat(even used they are bullet proof)

my 2 cents

Roland

+1 on the Yamaha Pacifica Line - I just helped a friends teenage son find "a good one" - easy job, all the ones we tried were really good instruments.
Just check the Pacifica line and choose the one that suits you with regards to specs, personally I'd go with the one with aHumbugger in the bridge, P90 in the neck and the Wilkinson term - and then *maybe* add a single coil in the center position.
Great versatile guitar - and not just for the money

Back
Top Bottom