Guitar Picks, What do you play?

Pickboy 1 mm with the holes in them. In addition to helping me grip the pick, I tend to put the pick in my mouth when I fingerpick and the holes will prevent me from dying if I ever swallow one.

Too thick? Yeah, I agree. It's really weird for a while. For me, having to lick my fingers was the deal breaker.

Thumbs up for Gravity Picks. When they offer discounts, it's a good deal.

After decades with Jazz IIIs, I tried Red Bear (way too eff-ing humongous), V-Picks (way too much "chirp" when I pick), Dava (wth???), and finally settled on Gravity picks (similar to V-Pick but without the nasty chirp).

Last edited:
Jazz iii for many years now. I switch between red, black and ultex. I must of bought thousands of picks over 35 yrs. Where are they all? I can never seem to find one.
It is the pick fairies, I tell you. They steal my picks and hide them in the washing machine and stuff them down the back of the sofa.

At the risk of stunning originality, I use Jazz IIIs for almost everything. Sometimes if I am feeling conscientious, I'll use nylon 60s for strummy acoustic or bass, but... Most of the time I put my hand in my pocket and a Jazz III comes out, so I use that.

Was a Jazz III Player for more than 15 years, but in the Last months I caught myself using the Petrucci Pick a lill' more...it's the same material an form like the Jazz III, but it's as big as a normal tortex, so, way easier to hold. But sometimes I have the feeling, to be "too far away from the strings" then I go back to the original III's.

I was a long time regular Jazz III (red) player, and then went with blue chip picks for a few years (still have them and they're barely worn) but those are ridonculously expensive and I always worried about losing one in the middle of a song. I tried the newer John Petrucci Jazz IIIs which have the textured grip and those have been my primary for the last year or so.

Pickboy 1 mm with the holes in them. In addition to helping me grip the pick, I tend to put the pick in my mouth when I fingerpick and the holes will prevent me from dying if I ever swallow one.

I too like these but would burn through them too quickly, I just liked their bright sound and flexibility the holes provided where they have a thinner feel but you could increase grip to get a more solid feel when required. I started to experiment to find something that would last longer like blue chip, vpicks, black diamond, various metals, coins, jazz III, and various pick manufacturers.

After spending more money on specialty picks than I care to admit trying to save a buck I find myself most often on Pickboy Meta Carbonite as the current fad, enough so grabbed a gross recently. The blue chip is pretty good but gets some weird slippery feel occasionally, jazz III... enough said, vpicks... so not my thing, black diamond... great grip feel but I need a sharper tip and a bevel vs the plain standard I ordered... too rounded feel against strings, coins mostly bla but a few ok, and finally for metal stainless rules... love them and used for years but nickel strings are no match for them.

Back
Top Bottom