Guitar amp literature suggestions

Richard_G

Inspired
I'm looking for suggestions on good guitar amp literature, i.e. books that cover the inner workings of guitar amps in a scientifically correct yet somewhat understandable way. In other words, I'm not really looking for "The history of [Brand X Amplifiers]" or inaccurate descriptions of this and that in hyperbolic terms, but books that can help me in getting a better understanding of how guitar amps really work.

(and yes, you probably guessed it: one of the reasons I want to read up on this subject is to get a better understanding of how I can manipulate the almost infinite choices in Cliff's magic box more to my liking based on a how things work in "the real world")

I was just commenting on this in another section. Of course no one replied, probably most people haven't heard of it. Anyways here is a couple that I found on my SAFARIBOOKSONLINE account.

Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook
[h=3]Audio Engineering Explained[/h]
Both by Douglas Self

I have never heard of the guy before today. I was just surprised to find these books on this site. I'm usually reading SQL Programming books (boring).

They are both on amazon.

Scour the manual, the WIKI and the forum for descriptions of what the amp parameters do. When you hit something you don't understand, google it.

Scan a few of the Google hits for each term to see which page speaks to you the best, and then read that page.

You'll probably be sent on a chase once or twice by terms on the page you're not familiar with. Google them, too.

When you hit a page that seems too technical for you, skip it and go to another one. That technical page will be more valuable later on, when you know more.

Or, you could just find a good book on the subject. :) Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you. But I think my way will get you to material you can understand faster than picking a book and hoping it's geared to your current level of knowledge.

I was just commenting on this in another section. Of course no one replied, probably most people haven't heard of it. Anyways here is a couple that I found on my SAFARIBOOKSONLINE account.

Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook
Audio Engineering Explained

Both by Douglas Self

I have never heard of the guy before today. I was just surprised to find these books on this site. I'm usually reading SQL Programming books (boring).

They are both on amazon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Scour the manual, the WIKI and the forum for descriptions of what the amp parameters do. When you hit something you don't understand, google it.

Scan a few of the Google hits for each term to see which page speaks to you the best, and then read that page.

You'll probably be sent on a chase once or twice by terms on the page you're not familiar with. Google them, too.

When you hit a page that seems too technical for you, skip it and go to another one. That technical page will be more valuable later on, when you know more.

Or, you could just find a good book on the subject. :) Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you. But I think my way will get you to material you can understand faster than picking a book and hoping it's geared to your current level of knowledge.

Thanks for your reply. This is what I'm already doing. I'm familiar with the manual and try to keep up with the excellent and ongoing work on the wiki. Of course I'm also visiting the forum a lot. I don't mean to sound like a c*nt, but this is not the kind of suggestions I'm looking for in this thread. What I'm looking for is to gain a more general understanding and knowledge about how guitar amps work. I.e. I'm not looking for suggestions like "turn the dynamics knob to 100%, it's the shit!" etc. I want to understand what Cliff talks about when he gets technical, and although some very valuable information is presented by him and others I believe the only way to do that is to actually read up on the subject.

(BTW. Don't let my low post count fool you, I am not as new to the Axe-FX it may lead you to believe and I have no trouble at all getting great sounds from my II (neither did I have trouble with this with my Ultra). I just want to learn more about how "real amps" work, which I believe will also be valuable knowledge using the Axe-FX.)

Please don't take this the wrong way. I appreciate your answer. :)

Thanks!

...this is not the kind of suggestions I'm looking for in this thread. What I'm looking for is to gain a more general understanding and knowledge about how guitar amps work. I.e. I'm not looking for suggestions like "turn the dynamics knob to 100%, it's the shit!" etc. I want to understand what Cliff talks about when he gets technical, and although some very valuable information is presented by him and others I believe the only way to do that is to actually read up on the subject.
What I suggested will get you there. That's the whole point—you wind up educating yourself on exactly the technical points you don't understand.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I appreciate your answer. :)Thanks!
No problem. You gotta go with what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom