GT800FX (HYPE???)

Galo

Experienced
Got mine in yesterday and all I have to say is WAAAOOO!!!! I compared it with the guitar and music to 4 other power amps I have. BGW, Crown, QSC and the Sla 2.
My favorite amps for years has been the old BGW's, the Matrix is as good and or better to my ears...I was also very impressed with the audio detail and the dynamics...
THIS THING ROCKS!!!
cant believe this sound is coming out such a light weighted amp. By the way it sounds so clear that I turned some effects down in some of my patches. And last, my rack is almost 10lbs less....Love it!!!!

Now I see what all the hype is all about.

...:::THIS IS A KEEPER:::...

That is definitely good to hear. Always tough trying out a new power amp because there are so many variables that affect the tone coming thru. I got a Rocktron Velocity 300 not too long ago and ended up sending it back. It just did not jive at all with my setup.

You scared me! :p

I had fallen for the hype and mine is on the way to replace a 2nd hand Boogie 20/20 I never use and play w cabs again.
If it is at least as good as a Valvestate 8008 I used to have, it will be ok.
I realize it will probably not have the warmth & 3D of the powered Atomics...

Playing through cabs is another deal anyway. I was a bit afraid it could only sound a bit cold after yek's review (and others maybe).
Still thought it was a good risk to take. Thanks for keeping up the hope :)

Last edited:
I realize it will probably not have the warmth of the powered Atomics...

It is a bit different, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

That goes for the FRFR setup and also my Mesa 2x12. Nice warm sound.

John

The sound I get from my studio monitors and my stage setup sounds are almost identical with the Matrix...dont want any color.
I setup my patches in the studio...that is what I want to hear on stage. My personal preference.

That's good news. I am thinking of replacing my Mesa 2:90.
Weight is a big deal!
How much was the final price of the GT800FX after shipping etc?

Thanks!!

I had a Mesa 290 a wile back...thanks God I had roadies then...those amps sound great but they feel like they are build with lead.
View attachment 8808

For some reason I didnt get charged for the duty and import taxes when I got the unit. Maybe they will bill me later!!! Sorry I cant answer your question.

the mesa has a color, the matrix doesn't, but it has the 'feel'

go with what you prefer. some like apples, some like oranges.

You got that right!!! Some prefer tube power amps and I prefer a no colored power amp amp for the axe-fx...that simple...not pushing anyone to like what I like.
When people ask me an opinion I give it but I never push my opinions on no one.

your quote "But it has feel"...you got me on that one also, I get plenty of feel, dynamics an clarity with the axe and the matrix!!!!

the mesa has a color, the matrix doesn't, but it has the 'feel'

go with what you prefer. some like apples, some like oranges.

Not at all...much much heavier yes...when you crank the mesa up the sound changes some.

Just to be sure I understood you correctly... do you mean "much much heavier yes" as in, physically, weight-wise it's much much heavier? Or the tone is much much heavier? I presume the former, but wanted to be sure. :)

heavy physically...as per pounds

Just to be sure I understood you correctly... do you mean "much much heavier yes" as in, physically, weight-wise it's much much heavier? Or the tone is much much heavier? I presume the former, but wanted to be sure. :)

I think it's important to be aware that "Tube" power amps will color the sound in some fashion [due to the inherent nature of tubes] and Solid State (SS) amps tend not to.

If you are experiencing sound coloration while using an SS amp, then your tone is being impacted by either the EQ in the preset OR the speakers in the Cab you are using. If the cab is FRFR, then likely it is your preset structure/settings.

Back
Top Bottom