Ground Hum and Noise

Last night I tried using a gate, that worked well but killed my sustain. Going to try shielding and if I still need to gate hopefully I only need to have minimal settings.

Last night I tried using a gate, that worked well but killed my sustain. Going to try shielding and if I still need to gate hopefully I only need to have minimal settings.
Use the gate on the input block. Initially set it to -40, 2:1 ratio, 10, 20. You won't lose sustain and it gets rid on a lot of unwanted noise.

Double checked the cables and had a couple bad ones.

Yeah usually it's the cables (or the most physically vulnerable component).

I had a Mac Air whose charging was starting to act finicky with two different chargers and eventually wouldn't charge at all (after cleaning contacts etc). I was convinced it was a bad charging board / battery. Took it to a local repair outfit and turns out both charging cables were bad. They soldered in a replacement cable and good again.

If you need to angle your guitar to minimize the noise, then the problem isn’t your power lines, it’s electromagnetic radiation getting picked up by your guitar. There probably some electrical gadget in your house that’s the culprit. Frequent offenders are light dimmers and Wi-Fi routers.

That was exactly what I dealt with at my last residence. I checked everything and couldn't find the culprit. It turned out to be a mini fridge I had on my patio. I removed it and the hum disappeared. Go figure.

Update: I think I found my issue in the new house. I took my gigging rig (AX8, 412 cab and Matrix poweramp) into my room and hooked it up. Magically..... No hum at all. All the Axe-FX goodness I am used to. Only difference...... Wireless. No cable on the floor. Hooked cable up and horrible hum immediately noticeable. We have a post tension slab..... Could that create an issue? I know my wireless has a buffered input and output which may be of some help but ultimately no cable on the floor. Electrical engineers......? Help..... Thoughts...

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted.

That was exactly what I dealt with at my last residence. I checked everything and couldn't find the culprit. It turned out to be a mini fridge I had on my patio. I removed it and the hum disappeared. Go figure.
Yeah, the source of evil is almost always one gadget, and it's almost always somewhere in or on the house.

Back
Top Bottom