GraphTech Ghost System?

Johan, did what pot did you use? I’m trying to install in a DGT. It looks like I can’t use just the push pull with mid dark that came with the system

On mine the original pots are master volume and master tone. The way I did it was that I took what was the input (from the magnetic pickups) to the master volume and hooked that up to lug 6 in the diagram below. I took the output from the piezo and connected to lug 4. Lug 5 is then connected to the master input. That way, pushed down, 5 and 6 are connected and the magnetics goes to master volume and out. Pulled up, 4 and 5 are connected so it's piezo that goes to master volume and out.

push-pull-pot.jpg

You obviously have individual volumes for the two pickups and master tone, which makes things a bit tricky. I would probably connect the output from the 3 way selector (that goes to the output jack) to lug 6, piezo output to lug 4 and the output jack to lug 5 in the diagram above. You would then get the same basic setup as I have. The problem would be that you wouldn't get a piezo volume, but I would probably choose that option anyway. The alternative would be to swap the master tone for piezo volume. Or you could possibly find a dual pot so that either the neck or bridge volume knob would also adjust the piezo volume. Or you could rewire the guitar with master volume, master tone and piezo volume. But the dual volume is what makes the DGT special so I would probably want to keep that.

On mine the original pots are master volume and master tone. The way I did it was that I took what was the input (from the magnetic pickups) to the master volume and hooked that up to lug 6 in the diagram below. I took the output from the piezo and connected to lug 4. Lug 5 is then connected to the master input. That way, pushed down, 5 and 6 are connected and the magnetics goes to master volume and out. Pulled up, 4 and 5 are connected so it's piezo that goes to master volume and out.

View attachment 42877

You obviously have individual volumes for the two pickups and master tone, which makes things a bit tricky. I would probably connect the output from the 3 way selector (that goes to the output jack) to lug 6, piezo output to lug 4 and the output jack to lug 5 in the diagram above. You would then get the same basic setup as I have. The problem would be that you wouldn't get a piezo volume, but I would probably choose that option anyway. The alternative would be to swap the master tone for piezo volume. Or you could possibly find a dual pot so that either the neck or bridge volume knob would also adjust the piezo volume. Or you could rewire the guitar with master volume, master tone and piezo volume. But the dual volume is what makes the DGT special so I would probably want to keep that.

Johan, thank you for taking the time! I agree that I don't want to lose the separate volume controls. The other issue is the tone knob is also a push pull to split coils and I'm hoping to not lose that feature either. I was hoping to change the volume pot on the neck pickup to push pull so when pulled the ghost is activated and the volume could be controlled. I'd lose the blend function, but at least now that's not terribly important.

Johan, thank you for taking the time! I agree that I don't want to lose the separate volume controls. The other issue is the tone knob is also a push pull to split coils and I'm hoping to not lose that feature either. I was hoping to change the volume pot on the neck pickup to push pull so when pulled the ghost is activated and the volume could be controlled. I'd lose the blend function, but at least now that's not terribly important.

I had another think about this. What I would do is to replace the neck volume with a push-pull, and take the neck pickup out to lug 6 in my previous diagram. Connect the piezo out to lug 4 and connect lug 5 into the neck volume. That way the push-pull would select either the neck pickup or the piezo, and the neck volume would adjust either the neck volume or piezo volume. It will also enable you to blend the bridge with either the neck or the piezo, and obviously select the piezo and then using your 3 way pickup selector to quickly go from piezo to bridge and back. You won't loose anything and will get a very flexible setup.

Hmmm, maybe I should get myself a DGT :)

Thats the control I want with even more options. Hope to dig into it on Thursday. I really like the DGT just because it can cover so many bases. Adding the Ghost system should make it a pretty good 1 Trick Pony for the cover band. Thanks again!

What type of input jack you use on your guitar ?
I think i figured it out. The tip and switch lugs are supposed to touch when no jack is inserted. Mine weren't. They never touched so that leads me to believe that the piezo was powered on at all times.

I installed the Ghost saddles in a Floyd Rose and let me tell you that Floyd base plate metal is freaking hard, had to drill holes for each saddle wire. I did the standard Ghost wiring where the toggle switch does piezo/piezo+mag/mag pickup selections. Having the mag run through the Ghost setup made it sound strange to me so I wired a second output jack to keep the Ghost system and mag pickups completely separated. I don't have a volume or tone control on the Ghost pickup just direct out. Ive had a lot of problems with the six wire gang connector that the saddles plug into that reduces to two wires that go to the board. I had a piece of tape on either side of that block trying to keep everything in place, been plagued with bad connections. I finally seated everything well and put hot glue on either side, no issues since. That micro switch sucks, Ive broken two or three over tightening the nut and another just didn't want to work consistently.

Installed in an ESP LTD Alex Skolnick model. It sounds OK but just doesn't have much woody tone. Could be an issue with being a Floyd Rose bridge and all that extra metal. I really don't care for that GuitarBody IR. I try to do presets without an amp block for my acoustic tones and have done some extensive EQing just to get in the ballpark for songs I cover.

Have the super jonesing for a fender Acoustasoic Jazzmaster or Taylor T5 but they both have one output and you need to switch between acoustic and electric pickups on the guitar which is a no go for how I want to use that type of guitar. Two outputs is a must.

Back
Top Bottom