Got a new AX8? The first 5 things you should do are . . .

jclemensfl

Inspired
Hey Longtime Users,

There's so much great information available on this site, but it can be a lot of work to sift through years of posts.

For the decent-sized group of us who just got, or are getting, Fractal's latest shipment of the AX8, help us out! Give us your own version of the top 5 things we should do first.

Thanks in advance!

Set aside a couple of weeks and commit to learning how the AX8 works. I tried jumping in like I normally did with gear and was very frustrated until I decided to learn about it instead of trying to figure it out. Here's what ended up working for me:

1. Read the manual a few times and download it to a computer. Knowing that something is covered and general idea where to find it has saved me from a lot of frustration. The computer's 'search' or 'find' function makes finding things very easy to locate.
2. Bookmark Axe Fx II Wiki. Most any question you'll have is answered here.
3. Go through each of the parameters in the amp and cab blocks and the effects you plan to use most. Knowing what each parameter does and how they interact with each other has been a huge benefit when creating presets.
4. Go through the factory presets and find the amps and effects you like and save them to the Block Library.
5. Create a core set of presets that emulate your favorite amps with minimal or no effects.

Above all, have fun with it. If you don't embrace and enjoy the process, why bother with it?

Before you receive your AX8 ...
I agree with chrisjnyc that #1 is read the manual.
#2 read the axe fx manual - all of the effects are explained there
After you receive your AX8...
#3 Make a simple preset from scratch. Amp. cab. Keep things simple while you’re figuring out your input levels, output levels, monitoring, etc. Chris’s videos are great for a lot of things including the basics.
#4 add one effect at a time and learn the basic functions and adjustments of a given effect before adding another.
#5 Make more presets and learn how adjust your rough output levels from preset to preset using the VU meter.

Seems like s good start to me. Have fun. Ask if you need help. We’re usually here.

What are you guys planning on using to listen through? Once that question is answered you should research the best way to make that work. It can be as easy as plug and play but most of the time it's not.

Austin Buddy's Unity Gain video is great if you're using a DAW or other interface (I use a Scarlett 2i2) to understand how to maximize the AX8's tone. If you're running into a FRFR PA speaker, then it's pretty simple. Just remember to cut the lows or highs if the speaker is too boomy or brittle.

Leon Todd's videos are essential, IMO. He just put out an AX8 Basics. It should be easily searchible all of his videos are great.

Don't expect to conquer the unit in a day/week/month. Learn the difference between a preset, a scene, an X/Y state then you're off and running. This forum is the best in that everyone is helpful even if you think your question is 'duh'.

Good to know. I have an alto ts212 I’m going to use live and at home. I realize it’s not the best but should get me down the road a ways. I have read about the high and low cut and will utilize. Thanks Bman

Learn the difference between a preset, a scene, an X/Y state then you're off and running. This forum is the best in that everyone is helpful even if you think your question is 'duh'.
BMan, thanks for this. I think for those who don't yet have the unit in front of them, this can be the most confusing thing. Obviously, reading the manual is the most important thing for accomplishing learning the differences. But that being said, how would you (or anyone else out there!) simply describe the difference between a preset, a scene, a bank, and an X/Y state?

BMan, thanks for this. I think for those who don't yet have the unit in front of them, this can be the most confusing thing. Obviously, reading the manual is the most important thing for accomplishing learning the differences. But that being said, how would you (or anyone else out there!) simply describe the difference between a preset, a scene, a bank, and an X/Y state?

I'm not sure I can quite describe it as eloquently as the other posters here. A bank holds 8 presets, a preset holds 8 scenes, a scene holds a preset's assigned parameter values for an effect block, amp block or cab block and each block in a preset has an X/Y state that can be toggled between two different types of the same block. For example a 'Drive' block could have an X/Y toggle of a Tubescreamer model or a Fuzz Face model. Not a real good explanation...lol.

Once you run through the factory presets you'll get a good feel for what these are. The cool thing is all of the possibilities available and the creative ideas that folks here on the forum have come up with.

one of the first things you should do is understand where your level outputs are sitting across your signal chain from the outset and keep this in mind and consistent as you build your patches. Total pain in the ass to go back re do this and its easy for things to clip and then in turn sound like volume is miss-matched if you haven't considered your loudest patches.

This is a really good post - so many great ideas. Just the other day (and I've had this thing for a year) I started to do SonofIam's idea (5. Create a core set of presets that emulate your favorite amps with minimal or no effects.) and it really helped to get a good foundation for what is happening before any FX are added. I haven't gotten Austin Buddy's presets but they are on the radar because he's already done all the work. :)

Back
Top Bottom