Wish Glitch, Buffers, Granular

UlfK

Hi, I am not a user yet but have tried evaluating the blocks. It seems the choice of lo-fi tools, glitch processing and granular options could be better if you are out for such sounds. In general sounds that play around with buffers, bit registers and granular pitch/time modulations. Or do I need to go with Eventide?

thanks for pointing me top that page. Nice sound examples, mainly textural. I am looking for more extreme sounds, e g.. Squarepusher. There are a few plug-ins that can do such glitch, stutter and buffer experiments ... Another cool example is the Tasty Chips GS-1 which can apply granular effects to a live signal.

Glitch? Yes, there are a lot of amazing things you can do with the AxeFX. Buffered? Sort of. The lack of sharp envelopes makes it difficult to do a good stuttering effect. Granular? No can do, that would require enhancements to the AxeFX. I agree, that would be a cool new feature!

Did you do a search first? I made a similar wish (as did others) a year or so ago. Bumping those will show more people want the function vs starting a new thread.

In the meantime, try various LFO tweaks to delay times (quantize is your friend here)

Stereo Jets.mp3

Stereo Tensor.mp3

Stutter Loop.mp3

these were the last three examples, which you may not have made it to

it's perfectly possible to do some interesting stuff using hold, randomising delay times (while the effect is in bypass) and other creative approaches to get glitchy and stuttery effects. it's also possible to simulate granular effects buy using multiple delays or plex delays and randomising (very quickly) the volume of the repeats. i'm not saying it's as convincing as effects dedicated to achieving those goals (digital or analog), but with some thought and creative design, you can certainly have some fun.
i agree, that some kind of buffer delay with manipulation would be excellent, or modifications to the current looper block and i have been asking (politely, i hope) for a very long time. like budda said....search for relevant threads and bump them.

Stereo Jets.mp3

Stereo Tensor.mp3

Stutter Loop.mp3

these were the last three examples, which you may not have made it to

it's perfectly possible to do some interesting stuff using hold, randomising delay times (while the effect is in bypass) and other creative approaches to get glitchy and stuttery effects. it's also possible to simulate granular effects buy using multiple delays or plex delays and randomising (very quickly) the volume of the repeats. i'm not saying it's as convincing as effects dedicated to achieving those goals (digital or analog), but with some thought and creative design, you can certainly have some fun.
i agree, that some kind of buffer delay with manipulation would be excellent, or modifications to the current looper block and i have been asking (politely, i hope) for a very long time. like budda said....search for relevant threads and bump them.
Love it.

Maybe you can help;

There's a factory preset called Comb Delays or something similar in the #300s(I chat be sure at the moment as I'm away from my Axe) that has a beautiful glitch sound when changing scenes while playing. Especially when switching from Scene 2 to 3, and vice versa.

My question is there a way to activate that glitch sound without changing scenes? With something like the Envelope, or ASDR, or sequencer?

Thanks.

so what's happening is, the delays are set to different times in each scene and so are some of the parameters relating to the comb filters. to be honest, the simplest and easiest way to get the effect you're after is to just change scenes....or just change the channels on the delay block

Last edited:
so what's happening is, the delays are set to different times in each scene and so are some of the parameters relating to the comb filters. to be honest, the simplest and easiest way to get the effect you're after is to just change scenes....or just changed the channels on the delay block
Thanks, Simeon. 🍻

To dive a little more in this topic. We're talking about very different types of effects.

1. Tremolo/Panning is volume automation being applied to the signal over time. Depending on the waveform used for the modulation you come up with different volume (or panning) variations and cuts of the signal. Short decaying waveforms will result in percussive sounds which indeed would be an interesting aspect.

2. Buffer-effects are sample based and modify the input signal itself. Like a delay, you run your signal into a buffer and will be able to re-use
it. In this case, you would "slice" the signal into different sections which you can then call up at different times. Repeats, stuttering,
re-ordering.

3. Granular FX are sample-based, too. Here, your "slices" are extremly tiny (grains, particles). You can then apply loops and skipping to these grains to come up with time stretching (looping grains), time compression (skipping grains), pitch shifting (different read-out-speed combined with looping and skipping grains).

4. Register based effects are once again different and can be carried out in realtime. Since each sample has a bit register (e.g. 16 bits) to represent its amplitude, it can also be manipulated. You can transform these bits (transform into 8 bits for lofi), re-order the bits and so on.

On top of this

a. you can apply conditions to any of these effects.
logic based (every second step, sample, grain) shall do this or that
level based (introducing thresholds)
sidechain based (use external signals to trigger or modulate the audio
source operation)
and more

b. apply furthcer conditions at any give time
e.g. reverse a sample slice, pitch shift it ...

c. combine these effect types
e.g. apply different pannings to each sample slice
e.g create glitches by combining slicing and time stretching
e.g create digital distortion for any sample based effects

The plug-in world shows a lot of potential. By studying the manual, I don't see the Axe FX III takes a lot of advantage of certain aspects.
Am I wrong?

Yes, this was my assumption. I was noticing that often the mentioned FX are mixed up with amplitude modulation effects. The whole reason for this thread is that I wish for such FX. It would be a big reason to get a unit for me.

+1 Adding to this old thread since I found an example of someone building this sort of effect on a Helix. Now the Helix has a glitch delay which is what I think makes this possible since the delay is providing most of the effect and it seems he is using some tricks to make it usable. I would love to be able to do something like this on the FM9.

It would be great if Fractal could add some glitch type delays or bitcrush fx. A lot has happened in the glitch, micro looping pedal market the last five years or so, with some really cool pedals out there. It would be really nice if there came some original adventurous Fractal glitch/stutter/bitcrush block or glitch algos. I don’t think the focus of Fractal is on this kind of stuff but one can always wish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom