Wish Gilmour PULSE amp model

The original song sounds like some kind of vibe.

The original recording on Momentary Lapse was a Steinberger with EMGs DG used that as the bridge went down in pitch better than a strat, through a Big Muff into a Fender Super Champ.
The recording was then played through the quad PA at the LA Forum, hence the quite unique sound

"What do you want from me" is from the Division Bell, not the Momentary Lapse. Maybe he used the MXR Phase 90 for the vibe (Phaser Script 90 at the Axe-FX)

"What do you want from me" is from the Division Bell, not the Momentary Lapse. He probably used the MXR Phase 90 for the vibe (Phaser Script 90 at the Axe-FX)

Sorry, thought we were talking about Sorrow, but yes I do think there's something phasing in there. Maybe they mixed in something to DG's tone as an ethereal effect

I've found this info at Gilmourish.com

What Do You Want From Me
studio
Fender Stratocaster, bridge pickup
Acoustic steel string guitar
– rhythm/picking; overdrive and chorus
– solos; Big Muff and delay (through a rotating speaker?)
– rhythm (mid-section); clean signal with Uni-Vibe
– rhythm (mid-section); acoustic guitar picking

live
Fender Stratocaster
– rhythms & leads; CS-2, Tube Driver (volume boost), RAT, CE-2, TC2290 delay and Doppolas

According to that, it could be a rotating speaker for the studio solo (or more likely the Uni-Vibe). I'll give it a try.

What Do You Want From Me
studio

live
Fender Stratocaster
– rhythms & leads; CS-2, Tube Driver (volume boost), RAT, CE-2, TC2290 delay and Doppolas

According to that, it could be a rotating speaker for the studio solo (or more likely the Uni-Vibe). I'll give it a try.
Gilmourish and Kitrae are the best sources for the tones...
80s Gilmour had the chorus down man.....it was on everything.

What Do You Want From Me
studio

live
Fender Stratocaster

Points for me! Anyone want to give me a cookie? :tearsofjoy:

BTW. The circuit is identical to the Bassman AA864 and to the Deluxe Reverb AA763 normal channels, with the only exception that the Alembic has a Mid Tone control instead of the 6k8 resistor

Bassman-AA864.jpg

Deluxe-Reverb-AA763.jpg

Alembic-F-2-B-Schematic.jpg

Last edited:
Yea the alembic preamp is like having to fender preamps...also they later added gain knobs to David's alembic!! His pulse rig had the hiwatt preamps deactivate by pete cornish

The original recording on Momentary Lapse was a Steinberger with EMGs DG used that as the bridge went down in pitch better than a strat, through a Big Muff into a Fender Super Champ.
The recording was then played through the quad PA at the LA Forum, hence the quite unique sound

Didn’t he use a Galien Kruger for “Sorrow”? I could have sworn it was one of those little ones with two 8 or 10 inch speakers in them, he let one go during the auction.

It is a part-for-part clone of the Twin Reverb Normal channel....
Cliff said the Fender Twin is not the same as the Dual Showman. The Alembic F2B is based on the Dual Showman.
In our dear AX FX III it is better to use the Hiwatt, because if Cliff won't allow us to mix preamps with different power amps, it is the best choice.
The Hiwatt power amp is essential.
What you need to understand is how to set the Tonestack, the various frequencies in the preamp ...

the difficult one is in my opinion the mid knob dell'alembic, because it was a control for the mid-low frequencies.
Through this parameter Gilmour was able to manage the fuzz sound of each distortion.
Anyone on what frequency is Alembic's tonestack?
you should understand how to set the frequency of the tonestak, low cut and high cut.

Cliff said the Fender Twin is not the same as the Dual Showman. The Alembic F2B is based on the Dual Showman.
In our dear AX FX III it is better to use the Hiwatt, because if Cliff won't allow us to mix preamps with different power amps, it is the best choice.
The Hiwatt power amp is essential.
What you need to understand is how to set the Tonestack, the various frequencies in the preamp ...

the difficult one is in my opinion the mid knob dell'alembic, because it was a control for the mid-low frequencies.
Through this parameter Gilmour was able to manage the fuzz sound of each distortion.
Anyone on what frequency is Alembic's tonestack?
you should understand how to set the frequency of the tonestak, low cut and high cut.
The Twin's normal channel is identical to the Dual Showman excepting the tremolo control, which is omitted in the F2B anyway.... :)

The mid knob on the Fenders does affect a different part of the frequency band than the HIWATT mid control. The HIWATT has a fixed low-mid dip and the mid control affects the mid/high-mid frequencies, if memory serves.

The Twin's normal channel is identical to the Dual Showman excepting the tremolo control, which is omitted in the F2B anyway.... :)

The mid knob on the Fenders does affect a different part of the frequency band than the HIWATT mid control. The HIWATT has a fixed low-mid dip and the mid control affects the mid/high-mid frequencies, if memory serves.
better that way :).
however I remain of the opinion that using Hiwatt with the Tonestack Blackface is the best choice.
The secret lies in understanding the Alembic's mid knob.
because my preset is modestly impressive.
What is missing, however, is that softness, that fuzz note on the Clean and on the distorted sounds, which softens everything.

The secret lies in understanding the Alembic's mid knob.

The behavior of the Alembic knobs can be predicted with the Duncan Amps Tone Stack Calculator. It is very simple to use. Just select the Fender Circuit and play with the Bass/Mid/Treble sliders. The default values are the same as in the Alembic F-2B, Bassman, Deluxe Reverb, Dual Showman and Twin Reverb (with the addition of the Mid control at the Bassman and Deluxe Reverb).

The frequency of the Mid knob is not constant. It depends on the position of the Treble control. And the Q is affected by the position of the Bass knob.
  • 900 HZ with Treble at 2
  • 450 Hz with Treble at 5
  • 300 Hz with Treble at 7
  • 200 Hz with Treble at 10
Tone Stack Calculator - Fender.png

Note that the Mids are not boosted at any position, no matter how you set the knobs (you can use the Sweep button to get the full spectrum)

I've found a nice lead clean tone for playing "Echoes" with the Alembic settings B:1, M:9, T:6 into the jumpered Hiwatt (EMG SA neck with the SPC Mid booster at 8. I've tried another strat with CS Fat'50 neck but I could not get these sweet mids or get rid of the crispy highs without mudding the tone)

Last edited:
I've managed to get a very approximate clone of the Alembic clone at the Axe-FX (for clean tones only).

I have followed this procedure:

Scene 2 (Real Alembic):
Alembic connected at Axe-FX In/Out-3
Amp: Hipower Jumped. Tonestack Type: Neutral. All default settings except Master Volume: 8

Scene 1 (Axe-Fx Alembic Clone):
Amp: Hipower Jumped. Tonestack Type: 65 Bassman. Master Volume: 8
I have fine-tuned the settings to get it as close as possible to the Alembic.
You can move the Bass/Mid/Treble controls at the Axe-FX Amp block and expect the same behavior as at the Alembic

It only works for clean tones though. When I insert a drive pedal the result is very different. Probably because with the external Alembic the pedal is inserted between the Alembic preamp and the Hiwatt Power Amp, while at the Axe-FX the pedal it is inserted at the front (the preamp is inside the Amp block)

Axe-FX Alembic.jpg
edit: preset deleted. I uploded the wrong one.

Last edited:
I've managed to get a very approximate clone of the Alembic clone at the Axe-FX (for clean tones only).

I have followed this procedure:

Scene 2 (Real Alembic):
Alembic connected at Axe-FX In/Out-3
Amp: Hipower Jumped. Tonestack Type: Neutral. All default settings except Master Volume: 8

Scene 1 (Axe-Fx Alembic Clone):
Amp: Hipower Jumped. Tonestack Type: 65 Bassman. Master Volume: 8
I have fine-tuned the settings to get it as close as possible to the Alembic.
You can move the Bass/Mid/Treble controls at the Axe-FX Amp block and expect the same behavior as at the Alembic

It only works for clean tones though. When I insert a drive pedal the result is very different. Probably because with the external Alembic the pedal is inserted between the Alembic preamp and the Hiwatt Power Amp, while at the Axe-FX the pedal it is inserted at the front (the preamp is inside the Amp block)

View attachment 72704
Hey thanks! why did you choose the "Jumpered" model instead of the normal channel as in the Division Bell Tour?

Back
Top Bottom