Wish Gilmour PULSE amp model

Not to judge.... but is that really anyone’s actual hobby ?

I will say when I was more involved with photography gear forums there were some guys whose “hobby” was basically buying new lens and using them to take picture of newspaper taped to their walls and then compare the results of corner sharpness etc between different lens....

“Measurebating” we used to call it ;)
Ehum, yeah. People spend a lot of time dialing stuff in. I don't want to think about how much time I spent doing the Phase 90, or the PCM70 stuff. Because we're talking about hundreds of hours across different firmwares, units etc.

I will say when I was more involved with photography gear forums there were some guys whose “hobby” was basically buying new lens and using them to take picture of newspaper taped to their walls and then compare the results of corner sharpness etc between different lens....

For someone it is a hobby for someone a fun, for someone a passion.
A wonderful machine like the AXE FX III allows you (even with different things) to recreate a sound that a person is attached to.
It is also a way to study the instruments, the combinations ... ;)

Yes, it is a hobby and I enjoy it.

-- "We want more models of Petrucci JP Amps! We need one where he plays with his goat beard, one with long beard, one without beard...!"
-- [Crowd in unison]: "YES, WE WANT IT NOW!!!""

-- "David Gilmour used this..."
-- [Crowd]: "Buh!", "The tone is at your fingers!", "Your are picky!", "Use what you already have!", "Gilmour sounds like Gilmour with a ukulele!"...

What-Do-We-Want.jpg

Last edited:
+1
And i am also a big David Gilmour fan and have been butting my head with the Hiwatt models. After spending the little time i have, one is to try more cabinets to get the cleans right...two, try using the tube driver and the box o crunch with your eq settings. I do hope it will get closer, coz pulse was the russian big muff basically the centerpiece. Marco Fanton did a video on the David Gilmour tone and used a shiver clean and orange cab and radical settings for the muff and it was good.

Hey man, it would be a real big help if you could share the setting of the peq for the spc control. Thanks
I'm not near my axe right now but you can easily do it by replicating this curve with a PEQ (this graph represents the SPC control set to max, just reduce the mid boost if you want to simulate lower values)

YZQcIeD (1).png

PS: you can ignore the slight top-end cutoff since the EMG pickups gilmour uses have extended high frequency response compared to passive single coils

+1
And i am also a big David Gilmour fan and have been butting my head with the Hiwatt models. After spending the little time i have, one is to try more cabinets to get the cleans right...two, try using the tube driver and the box o crunch with your eq settings. I do hope it will get closer, coz pulse was the russian big muff basically the centerpiece. Marco Fanton did a video on the David Gilmour tone and used a shiver clean and orange cab and radical settings for the muff and it was good.
remembering that kind of sound is easy, with all due respect.
But to know how to manage and play his amps, pedals, effects and above all the way of playing, it takes years and years of study.
If we talk about looking out over the Gilmour world, here there is already everything you need, even more.
But if, like me, you are looking for authenticity and above all the possibility of playing with the same effects as if you really had them under your feet, that's another matter. This is why this machine is fantastic, because in addition to the quality and realism under the hands, new effects are added and wishes are granted for new instruments (I obviously personally hope in Gilmour's) so as to realize the dream of many Gilmour lovers like of other artists.
Personally I am anxiously waiting for Cliff to add the two Muff Reissue EHX models (Green Russian and Ram's Head) the Triangle is the only one that Gilmour hardly ever used.

I'm not near my axe right now but you can easily do it by replicating this curve with a PEQ (this graph represents the SPC control set to max, just reduce the mid boost if you want to simulate lower values)

View attachment 71864

PS: you can ignore the slight top-end cutoff since the EMG pickups gilmour uses have extended high frequency response compared to passive single coils
Also, they have no real resonance peak, whereas traditional singles have a huge one.

remembering that kind of sound is easy, with all due respect.
But to know how to manage and play his amps, pedals, effects and above all the way of playing, it takes years and years of study.
If we talk about looking out over the Gilmour world, here there is already everything you need, even more.
But if, like me, you are looking for authenticity and above all the possibility of playing with the same effects as if you really had them under your feet, that's another matter. This is why this machine is fantastic, because in addition to the quality and realism under the hands, new effects are added and wishes are granted for new instruments (I obviously personally hope in Gilmour's) so as to realize the dream of many Gilmour lovers like of other artists.
Personally I am anxiously waiting for Cliff to add the two Muff Reissue EHX models (Green Russian and Ram's Head) the Triangle is the only one that Gilmour hardly ever used.

What would be interesting is if Gilmour started to use the Axe, and seeing what models he would actually use to create his preference in obtaining his classic tones...

In other words, would Gilmours own virtual rig be using the models he was using in hardware, or, would he actually end up using totally different models that just to happen to match the tone he is after, such as how the Brit Floyd guys don’t use the same models

Then we’d have to wonder if models of a specific muff et al are actually needed if Gilmour himself would choose to use something different as he should know the tone and the tools better than anyone

I suspect that he may have one. A while ago there was a discussion where someone talked about the disavantages for Gilmour for not having an Axe-FX, and someone from the FAS team (I don't remember who) said "You don't know that ;)".

I suspect that he may have one. A while ago there was a discussion where someone talked about the disavantages for Gilmour for not having an Axe-FX, and someone from the FAS team (I don't remember who) said "You don't know that ;)".

It does make lots of practical sense for most any musician and he surely has heard some Brit Floyd performances using them so likely would have to think it does a good job at his tones.

Basically everyone should have an Axe Fx as a tool in their arsenal I figure lol

It seems that what needs to be defined is which is more important when it comes to 'authentic'; the tone or the gear? As @lqdsnddist alluded to, there are gear options in the Axe that will emulate the 'authentic' tone better than the 'authentic' gear. IMO, getting a tone that is indistinguishable from the source is all that matters. If that's accomplished by using a completely different amp, so be it.

If the goal is to try to have the same rig, chances are that it's going to be a struggle to get the exact tone due to variables such as tubes, tube bias, component tolerances and sweeps (on potentiometers) as well as speakers, mic model and placement. Search other gear forums and look at all the threads of players not understanding why the 'authentic' rig they put together doesn't sound right. That said, my understanding is that the Axe has the 'correct' amp- HIPOWER JUMPED. Finding the 'correct' IR is probably going to be the hard part.

If a player wants to obsess over getting the tone right with the correct gear, more power to them. I prefer to use the tools available to get the tone regardless of the gear.

I have already tried to get these tones with alternative and unconventional gear, and I suspect that everyone has. I've spent more than 40 years experimenting with gear, the first years without much money; with DIY analog circuits. Sometimes with satisfactory results, sometimes not.

Could all the existing models of the JP amp had been achieved tweaking other amps? maybe, but it is a convenience for the Petrucci fans to have them there. Perfectly modeled and with all the knobs responding as the original amp.

my understanding is that the Axe has the 'correct' amp- HIPOWER JUMPED. Finding the 'correct' IR is probably going to be the hard part.
The OP is basically about the Alembic F2B preamp. But I agree: the hardest part is to find the right IR

Last edited:
I've made an approximation to the "What do you want from me" tone, using the Tube Drive + Hiwatt.

But I am not good with Chorus and modulation effects. I have tried various, but I cannot get any close to the recording (I've used the division Bell record as a reference). Maybe it's a Phaser. Any hint? Modifications to the preset are welcome :)

EMG SA. EXG: 0, SPC: 10

Attachments

• Pulse 20200904.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi guys,

This my attempt at sorrow.
First clip is a SLO100 Lead with Tube driver 3 knob as boost
Second is the same SLO with a herbie channel 3 and same boost
Third is hiwatt with Box of crunch boosted with a Tube driver
The modulation and delaye section is the same all 3

Please check and lemme know what you think.

Thanks

I've made an approximation to the "What do you want from me" tone, using the Tube Drive + Hiwatt.

But I am not good with Chorus and modulation effects. I have tried various, but I cannot get any close to the recording (I've used the division Bell record as a reference). Maybe it's a Phaser. Any hint? Modifications to the preset are welcome :)

The original song sounds like some kind of vibe.

Listen to the beginning with the les paul....even just the chorus makes it sound a certain way.

Back
Top Bottom