Gigging users vs. non-gigging users?

My gigs are seasonal. I'll have 16 over 4 months from August to November, and then may be have one every couple of months. I don't update firmware during show season.

I don't gig often on a monthly basis, I usually tour once or twice a year [so I do them all in one go]
not gigged with the Axe yet but I'm hoping to later this year

when fw10 comes out, I'll fix up my studio presets, then book a studio and fix up my live ones through my backline
it's never a 'start from scratch' job

3-6 gigs per month

Got the Axe a few weeks ago.

3 gigs with the Axe under the belt so far

#4 coming up this sat!

Scott's comment on Cliff's quality work is spot on. A little tweaking is all that is needed for existing presets.

I have to say I am a bit surprised at the risk tolerance. I liken it to upgrading my OS the day before an important presentation... but then FAS is not #$@$ Microsoft.

3-4 Times a month mostly with the Axe-Fx (if it's an all acoustic gig I go straight through the PA, no Axe-Fx).
I'll apply FW10 when it comes out, although it depends on when it breaks as I'll wait until after the weekend gig to do it.

NO GIGS FOR ME! too busy with work and I quit playing for a long time, so i need to learn to play again. Maybe this year tho.

Haven't gigged since the '80s, but with this awesome box, who knows?? Haha. I've shed a ton of weight (not lugging my old Mark IIC+ around).

Lee

Last edited:
i gig all the time and make my living from playing music. that said, i'm only using my axe fx II in front of a redplate blackloop 1x12 for effects only

Weekly P&W gig where I am phasing in the Axe so I have just tweaked a couple of the presets while I get used to relying totally on my in-ears and learn to program this thing. I will start building my presets when 10 drops and my MFC 101 arrives.

Very cool getting to know you all like this, really appreciate the participation!

New tally:
6 = no gigs (mainly recording)
30 = gigs often using AxeFx2
2 = gig very seldom, so FW change not critical

(I know several scenarios don't quite fit in these three categories, but let's keep it simple and fun!)
I must say the number of those that "gig often" is higher than I thought it would be. My guess would have been more like 30%, 40% and 30%. Granted the sampling is small so not a meaningful percentage yet. Thanks again everyone!

No gigs - home use. I only use 1 patch & 5 scenes generally (until this rapid fire FW release process slows down!)

I think that Cliff nailed it when he spoke of diminishing returns and incremental changes. In the early days of the axe II, a firmware upgrade was a huge change and I one made the mistake of upgrading too close to a gig. Bad idea. Big tone chane, even bigger volume changes.
But since 6.0 or 7.0, the changes have been less radical. More accuracy and better tone but MIT so many wild variables (except once but I can't remember which).
I gig all the time. Sometimes 5 gigs in the week. If I have 2 hours to spare before the show, I'll upgrade to 10 the second it drops. And I'm sure ill be smiling all the time.
That being said, I smile at every gig now. I'm SO pleased with 9.02!

Gigging 4-6 times a month. I'm ALWAYS at least 1 firmware behind. I'm currently running 8.x... it's not because I'm scared of tone changes so much as 1.) I'm lazy when it comes to updating 2.) I don't like re-programming my pedal and 9.0 introduces scenes. The tonal change is normally so slight that I don't even care. Last upgrade I didn't even tweak the patches; they just sounded better and I went with it. I've been consciously trying to do more with less, so if push comes to shove, I could probably do an entire 4 hour bar set with my crunch patch, which cleans up enough for clean strumming and has a boost in it for leads.

IMO, the axe sounds amazing right now and I have it dialed in. I'm way more interested in playing than tweaking at this point, which is something I've never said before... ever. Often times a new amp, or a slight improvement in modeling doesn't really appeal to me when I think about re-programming things. I have the next 2 weekends off, so I'm likely going to upgrade to v9 and setup scenes with the MFC... after all, I've owned the MFC for months and haven't left the house with it. Did I mention I hate programming pedals?

Currently doing 2 - 3 gigs a month, hopefully more often in the summer months coming up. I have done a FW upgrade a day or two before a gig in the past and didn't need to make too many modifications, but it is always nice to have some extra time to really play with the 'new' toy.

It all depends on how many projects I'm involved in and what each is doing. At the heaviest I do 6-8 nights a month and at the lightest I won't play for a long time. Right now I'm doing some recording engineering and rehabbing a bum shoulder so not too many shows.

Back
Top Bottom