Gigging users vs. non-gigging users?

If my count is correct, that's
Tally:
2 = gigs, hardly ever
16 = gigs often using AxeFx2
1 = gigs (but very seldom, so FW change not as critical)

Robboman, not sure I agree. I don't feel I would hesitate to count as recording only. (I'll put you on category three okay?) :)

Still, Robboman's point is well taken... But my curiosity was that some of us have to be really careful when we swap tones or "rebuild" as it were. Not only for our own sake, but our band-mates get used to our tones also (even fans do right?!). The right feel sometimes creates a bigger energy, equally the wrong feel can squash that same energy, we all know that.

6-8 gigs a month; I'm on the Fractal Audio beta team so I am on a new(er) firmware almost constantly. (NOTE: I do downgrade for gigs if necessary, but most often I do not need to). I've loaded new beta firmware in, tweaked it out in less than 10 minutes total (6-8 presets) and done the gig. No problem. Cliff doesn't really do buggy firmware FWIW, even in Alpha.

That's impressive Scott. You really have a solid handle on this thing... NO FEAR! (I must say, I've enjoyed your instructional videos. Keep em coming okay?) :)

No gigging. Unless playing to my bobblehead collection counts! In that case it would be standing room only nightly! :)

I personally enjoy the udates as I treat them as a new chapter in my ongoing education about not only the Axe II but the underlying aspects of amp designs and the signal chain etc.

A poll would have been more efficient.

If my cats count as (reluctant) audience then gigging with the Axe. ;)

You're right hussamd, a poll would have been WAY more efficient. Oops.

so far...
4 = gigs, hardly ever
16 = gigs often using AxeFx2

6-8 gigs a month here use the Axe at every one, never taken longer than 2 hrs to update, dial in and vol level. Have done it the day before a Gig numerous times.

...never taken longer than 2 hrs to update, dial in and vol level.

I don't know about you guys, but I think I see a new instructional video need... Scott? SparkyG? This would be hugely valuable, I know I could sure use it! :)

2 = gigs, hardly ever
18 = gigs often using AxeFx2

8-10 gigs per month, using the Axe on every one. I have also gigged with a fresh FW update. Was a little nervous about it but no issues.

I play once a month or once every other month.
So I generally have a few Practices to fine tune everything in before my next gig.
So it generally depends when the Firmware comes out.
If I have 2 Practices between Firmware and a Gig, then I will go for it.
The Changes are generally mild enough, where I can update and do initial adjustments at home.

If I have 2 Rehearsals between Gig and Firmware, then I am good to go.
If I have 1 Rehearsal between Gig and Firmware, I will still do the upgrade since I will backup my Patches and can always downgrade if I was not comfortable after the 1 Practice.
If I have NO Rehearsal between Gig and Firmware, then it is a bad Idea and I will wait until after the gig.

I use the "Snapshot" Feature to keep versions of my Patches at different Firmware Levels.
I also Always perform a System and Bank Backup before changing Firmware Level.

My coverband takes 1 weekend a month off (usually) we average 5-6/7 gigs a month.

I don't update FWs until I have time off like Sunday of the week that we don't have a gig on the following weekend so I have about 10 days to tweak. I am still running FW8 because we've been so busy and now with all I have read about 10 I have just decided to wait until it hits to update & this time I am going to start completely from scratch.

I think i am going to copy my necessary presets to unused banks so they'll be there in case I am not done rebuilding my live presets before our next gigs. One thing I also plan to do different is start running direct to FOH though I for now will continue to run tube power/4x12 on stage.

I play out at least 4x a month and by the end of year that may triple. The tone changes are always in the back of my head but I usually update and do a gig without even auditioning my presets to see what has changed. Many of us have a layout template so when we say from scratch we pron mean amp, cab then drives. My fx stay the same. I do mess with them from time to time but that has no connection with a FW

I never gig. Maybe someday when the kids are older, but certainly no time soon. The Axe lives in my basement.
-
Austin

I also play out about 3-4 times per month. Recently in pre-production for a new record, so shifting gears a little.
On a side note, my band is getting ready to go back into Universal L.A. to finish our new LP. This will be our producer's first exposure to us using Fractal gear. Can't wait to get his reaction... (he is used to us on real tubes, I hope he isn't too old school for his own good, haha. ) This is THEE Universal studio btw, giant iso rooms, huge far field systems, all glassed in logo stuff. They've got this one-of-a-kind $25000 Telefunken mic that sounds absolutely incredible... seriously super old RCA mics all in production, it's like walking through 50 years of recording technology. Very humbling, very exciting!

So far:
2 = no gigs (mainly recording)
23 = gigs often using AxeFx2
1 = gig very seldom, so FW change not critical

i gig a lot, but i arrange my presets and sounds with firmware upgrades in mind! i have 5 main sounds, which used to be presets, but is now pretty much all in 1 preset with scenes.

if i had to have more than 10 tones, i wouldn't be updating my firmware every time a new one came out. i'd probably still be on an early firmware. i have a 2nd axe for backup, so i'd probably load the new firmware there and see how the tones changed between firmware versions.

however, i've always experienced that the new firmware versions are much easier to get to the tones i need with less adjustments, so it takes me a lot less time to get the sound i want with the new versions and i usually like them much better! as long as i create tones with my EARS and not my EYES:

"last firmware I put the drive level here, so i'll do that again with this new firmware..." <- BAD! start from scratch and it'll sound great in no time.

Unfortunately down to 2 - 4 gigs a year :(
The only time I didn't upgrade prior to the gig was when it dropped the night before... hard to believe firmware drops happen so close to my gigs that hardly happen at all. I've been VERY lazy and typically modify presets that are in the unit or modify a couple I've downloaded from axechange. The updates have always been a step in the right direction to me, so I've had no problem investing the little time necessary to make them ready for live use.
Scott's video was an EXCELLENT resource for me (setting volume levels)...saved a lot of time and headaches.

Back
Top Bottom