Gigging Shoes

My shoes are always black and somewhat pointy, so I can hit all the buttons on the second row of the MFC. I just started using one of those kitchen pads for the floor, when I play. It's funny now when I ever play there is always a fan and that pad waiting for me. Ha, My team knows me.

I play barefoot. I've always played barefoot. It's become part of my MO. If there are some gigs like ones where I'm not the leader, like a wedding or I'm I'm a hired gun I'll wear dress shoes. More than half of those times I'm asked why I'm wearing shoes and I'll take them off.

When I'm getting sandwiched between two women while singing and playing the guitar…

those are my favorite shoes ;)

Added benefit of being barefoot: your feet don't stink!

It's worked as a real identity PR for me. It's part of my thing. People say, "Aren't you that barefoot guitar player?"

It happened many years ago when I kicked my sandals off on stage and a lot of women gave me nice compliments. My feet are large and just seemed awkward in shoes. But in without shoes they were cool.

I do like pressing buttons with my toes though.

Jonny Lang used to always go barefoot on stage.

From his Wiki:

In his earliest performing years, Lang always performed barefoot on stage, because "it feels good" and once in tribute to Luther Allison, a friend who had recently died. He has since given up that practice, after several near-accidents and electric shocks.

Yeah. I love the feel of playing barefoot. Sometimes I used to bring a rug. I think I'll get another rug and bring it to gigs. Stages are yukey but it never bothered me too much. I'd look for nails and splinters but I've never been hurt after 30 some years!

I would think it would depend somewhat on the type of gig and venue. There was a time when I was gigging with a lot with different bands so I had different clothes for each band. Wedding receptions, bar band, upscale party gigs, corporate events, jazz, rock, dance, etc, each had their look that was determined by the venue, music type and audience we were entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom