Gigging Shoes

Rich G.

Experienced
Well... it was time. My old Vans had zero tread on the bottom after 6+ years (?) of gigging. Time to get new gigging shoes. After a fruitless search at the local mall I turned to the internet. For gigging I like a flat bottom shoe. Skate shoes are perfect. I like these because they give me a good 'feel' when using expression pedals and also feel solid when activating switches.

I ended up getting some DC Wes Kremer's. Day one was a little rough with the break in, day two is much better! I'll be using them on stage this weekend for the first time.

What stage footwear do you guys prefer?

I have some old-school Doc Martin's (though not the style stereotypically thought of when mentioning DM's) that I prefer for shoes. In fact, they are 100% dedicated to that use for me.

Had to do a formal in my dress shoes a few weeks back; REALLY threw me in terms of switching and feel on the expression pedals. I agree with the OP completely.

vans look cool, but man no arch support or padding... long gigs on hard surface.. yikes. maybe with an insole or something. I also like the feel.

Whatever I happen to be wearing that day, unless it's a leather shoe with no grip underneath.

Nike's or Adidas usually do the trick.

I prefer a pair of Sketcher type black boots...keeps grip well enough for me in cause someone spills some drinks on the floor. I also have a rug down where I play to help keep my feet cleaner for when I step on my gear for song/patch changes.

of course the ever so popular converse stink for comfort. I tend to wear them often. But it finally dawned on me one day to buy insoles. Made a huge diffence. I recommend whatever shoe you like and some good insoles.

I always wear very comfortable shoes onstage. When I was 18, Converse and other skate shoes were perfectly fine. As I've gotten older, I have come to realize what a big difference good shoes make when playing onstage. My band plays 3 hour shows. I buy decent dress shoes that are reasonably priced (less than $200) but are well made with excellent arch support. I also love Fluevogs, which can be more expensive and are very stylish. Decent shoes will last a long time, are easy to resole if they get worn, and are a lot more comfortable for the long run.

+1 for Keg8605's comment about putting good insoles in your shoes. Happy feet = happy back + better balance and posture + greater comfort throughout the night.

Back
Top Bottom