GIFT OF TONE 2023 #2 - Greg Wells

Getting amazing tone references from people like Greg is the best part of being in the Fractal universe! It's really helpful to hear what they look for in a no-nonsense preset. So much thanks to the FAS team in gifting us with these :)

I also needed to adjust the cab channels for the FM9 as outlined above. One other quirk I found is adjusting the level of the Blue Al IR doesn't seem make any volume adjustment. This is with both IRs active or with the Rawk IR muted. Running FW 5 and FM9-Edit 1.02.05

OK, I got it to load the cabs but NOT the actual preset for the AxeFX III. I tried several times. Out of frustration, I loaded it into my AxeFX III using the FM9 preset instead and it worked.

Anyone else see this issue?

Awesome preset.
Anybody know how he does the Boost on Rawk 15% and Rawk 100% scenes? Can't see any parameters moving

OK, I got it to load the cabs but NOT the actual preset for the AxeFX III. I
No problem using Greg's file from our server. Are you running the latest firmware on your Axe-Fx?

Last edited:
One other quirk I found is adjusting the level of the Blue Al IR doesn't seem make any volume adjustment. This is with both IRs active or with the Rawk IR muted. Running FW 5 and FM9-Edit 1.02.05
IR levels are relative. They don't change the overall level, only the "blend" of the IRs.

What are the amps in the second amp block, btw?
Can someone with A3/Fm9 make a second preset for us Fm3s by copying Amp2 into Amp2 block so we can load it, please?

This preset is my favorite of the whole bunch so far.
I've got so many incredible tones just from Fm3 version alone that if that would be the only preset I am allowed to use, I would just smile and say "awesome!"
Greg, this one is a jem, thank you so much for sharing
I'm just starting to play with additional stuff like in-amp boosts and it's already beyond fantastic

When you import the bundle and choose the user slots for the cabs, shouldn't the preset update the cab block to point to those slots? It doesn't in this preset. So you have to go into the cab block and select the Greg Wells cabs.

When you import the bundle and choose the user slots for the cabs, shouldn't the preset update the cab block to point to those slots? It doesn't in this preset. So you have to go into the cab block and select the Greg Wells cabs.
I just tested this too and I'm assuming this is a bug. For me when picking a custom location for the IR's channel A was mapped but channel B held the slots User 1 - 72 and User 1 - 71. Seems like all instances of an IR's use in any channel should get updated.

C and D have a different mix of cabs and the first slot is still showing User 1 - 71 as well but should have been mapped to User 2- 829 in my case as that was the slot I selected.
1702604485143.png

Last edited:
The Cab Selections are the same for all scenes. What product and firmware version are you loading the bundle into?
Cab Channel B uses the same two IRs in the same two locations, with only the level balance adjusted.
Here's how it loads here:

View attachment 131306

View attachment 131307
Imported FM9 one into FM9 using the import tool in FM9-EDIT. Assigned the two IRs to slots in the 320s somewhere. Scenes 1-4 accepted the assignment, but 5-8 show 72 and 71 like your screenshot, which are two IRs from a Weber Blue Dog set I have loaded. Different from the ones intended, but not bad, tonally. :)

Really enjoying this particular GoT.... Thanks!

Great tones, and so many little tricks involved. I especially like the use of Mix in the Comp and Drive blocks.

Back
Top Bottom