Gibson Price Increase

Bummer....I've been a Gibson guy for years.
The price vs. quality is just really far off IMO.

I'm with @GuitarDojo
I've got a bunch of old Gibsons....so I'm happy.

Yep, same here. Got my 1981 LP Custom that I bought new in 1982. Still loving it!

Got an LP Custom that will probably go to the grave with me. Best sounding and easiest playing guitar I've ever come across, let alone owned.

...but I sure as hell wouldn't pay what they go for new these days, especially not unseen/played.

Anyone tried the new ESP/LTD EC1000's with the Evertune bridge? Now there's a feature step-up. Robot tuners... GMAFB.

Yep, same here. Got my 1981 LP Custom that I bought new in 1982. Still loving it!
Same here.. but it would put my back out if I ever tried to gig with it now.. one heckuva solid body guitar. Sustain all day, but heavy!

Wow! And I thought ESP lost their minds with their prices this year.

I love the comment on the bottom: "Maybe this is a ploy to get people to buy the 2014s no one wanted"

I ordered an ESP E-II M-II a few months ago and it just arrived last week. It was 1599 usd, 2283 cdn. It is flawless and plays like a dream. Compared to over 30 of those 120th Gibsons I tried hanging on the wall at L&M priced 3000 to 6000, the ESP completely blows them away.

If I ever buy another Les Paul style, it's going to be an ESP.

I just hope this doesn't over-inflate the used market. There are *plenty* of used Gibbys out there for a much better price than a new one.

I've got news for you. I have one of those Chinese knockoffs and it is one damn fine guitar. I could not get the Gibson model I wanted in a lefty and found a knockoff that was almost exactly what I was hoping Gibson would build some day. I was not expecting the guitar to be much but I thought I could get my tech to doctor it up for me. He replaced the electronics (which I do on most of my guitars) and replaced some of the hardware. I'm here to tell you, this is one of my favorite guitars. Our other guitar player loves the sound of the thing and just can not believe what the total cost has been for such a great sounding piece of gear. Also, the fit and finish is amazing.

Gibson really needs to pay attention. They may be getting away with this crap now but eventually the baby boomers that buy this expensive crap will no longer be relevant. I should know, I'm one of those boomers. The younger generation that is coming along today will not be interested in their over priced gear. I do not think todays generation will care if they have a guitar like the one Jimmy Page played. As someone on this thread said, there are much better guitars for a lot less money. Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

Mj

Got a 2014 Les Paul Traditional from Sweetwater a few months back...what a guitar! If you can pick up one used or at a good discount, I would highly recommend it. It's a sweet guitar.

When I was in high school (78-81), the price of a new Stratocaster was around $400, and the price of a new Les Paul Custom was around $600. At that point, both of those guitars were mostly hand-made, and they had widely varying quality, even within production runs of "identical" instruments. You needed to play a dozen of them to find a really good one. Since that time, we have seen the trend of instrument bodies / necks being milled by CNC machines and equipped with pickups created on computer-controlled winders. The quality of modern mass-produced electric guitars is consistently quite good, with much less variation between individual instruments. Mass production on high-speed automated equipment has eliminated a number of previously human-driven processes, so there is significant time and labor savings, with greatly reduced error rates. Admitedly, pricing of the instruments is not solely driven by the efficiency gains via automation. High-quality guitar woods have increased in price, rosewood and ebony fretboard blanks are expensive, and so on. But let's look at the current state...

I happen to own both Fender and Gibson guitars, plus other brands. This isn't an indictment of either company, just my observation and some basic math. If you flip through the Musician's Friend or Sweetwater catalog, you'll see that in current dollars, a top-of-the-production-line Fender (non-signature model) Stratocaster instrument can be purchased for around $1200. Similarly, a new Gibson (non-signature) Les Paul Custom is in the neighborhood of $3500.

For the same $3500 that would get you a stock LP Custom, you could buy two stunningly appointed handmade guitars from Carvin, built to your custom specification. Or you could buy a lovely Paul Reed Smith. Or you could buy three pretty groovy Strats. Or you could have Warmoth build you a couple of delicious fully custom guitars. And so on.

The $1200 price of a high-end production Strat is pretty close to the cost of building a strat clone of equivalent quality appointments / electronics / woods. As I note above, you could build a nice neck-through Les Paul style guitar for about $1200 too. I admit there is certainly some cachet in the brand itself. But, with the LP Custom carrying a $3500 price tag, does the Gibson logo justify $2300 worth of that price?

Me too got a 80 in 81 (Les Paul standard), my favorite guitar.
I also have a 1984 Flying V and a 2007 Les Paul custom shop, they are my best sounding guitars out of everything I own and have owned in the past.

So the Studio line gets stomped? I smell a marketing trick to sell more Studios and then they go "due to popular demand, we continue making them"...

I have a Musicians Friend catalog from 1982 that sold the Gibson Les Paul Custom in black for about $650. Musicians Friend now sells that same guitar for $4000. I have three Chibsons I bought for less than $300 each. With a fret dressing and some hardware/electronics upgrades (say $200 per guitar), I have good sounding, attractive, stable, and extremely playable guitars that satisfy my desire for a Les Paul. They are not Gibson quality, but they are 1/8 the price after upgrades. It's hard to believe that in 1982 I could have purchased an actual Gibson for only $150 more. I do believe that something is worth what someone will pay. If Gibson would rather sell fewer guitars at a higher price, I have no problem with that. I just won't buy one.

Last edited:
Ever since I first saw one as a kid, my #1 dream guitar has been a 1958 Gibson Flying V. At this point in my life, I don't really want an *actual* 1958 Flying V, as they are ludicrously expensive, and I don't want to own guitars that are "too valuable to play". I'd really love to have a genuine Gibson korina Flying V with the period-correct look of a 1958 model (boomerang tailpiece, etc) and PAF-style pickups. I've looked at the Gibson reissues, and they're expensive, which is silly considering the relatively simple construction and components involved. I'm more tempted to just get one of the Epiphone models, and upgrade the electronics + tuners, plus do a good fret job on it.

It doesn't matter that I could technically afford to just buy the genuine Gibson reissue. I'm very practical about my needs, and I don't see any point in the $5000 price tag for a guitar I could have custom built for $1500 and have a higher-quality result.

I'm not afraid to open up my wallet to pay for great gear. I am delighted with my AxeFX system, and it was worth every penny I paid.

For a guy in a tunic, you speak the truth.

Steady, which seller did you get your Chibby from? I've been looking into this as well. Any major pit falls to avoid? I don't really care what's on the headstock, Gibson or wtf ever, just something workable.

Ah, just another good reason to go with small builders.. go completely custom (inlay, frets, woods, finish, fiber optics, hardware, electronics, etc.) for hundreds or even thousands less than some hit or miss brand. :mrgreen

For a guy in a tunic, you speak the truth.

Steady, which seller did you get your Chibby from? I've been looking into this as well. Any major pit falls to avoid? I don't really care what's on the headstock, Gibson or wtf ever, just something workable.
I bought mine from aliexpress. The main pitfall is that you have no idea what is going to show up at your door, if it gets there at all. They don't always look like the pictures, and some people have received a different guitar altogether. You may get unlucky and receive a guitar with a major flaw, or customs might seize it if the headstock displays brand name. So far, I've had good luck. All of the guitars needed a fret leveling/dressing, so if you don't already have the tools, you have to add that to the initial price. The pickups were crap, so I replaced them with Stumac Golden Age pickups, or other pickups I had laying around. And the nut was junk, but that's an easy fix. The tuning machines are light-weight metal, but they are smooth and tune accurately. The bridge is also lightweight and the saddle slots are sloppy, but it can be improved with a bit of work. The guitars are not nearly as dense as a Gibson and are much lighter, but I like that...a lot. The top is an extremely thin veneer of flamed maple as opposed to a real flamed top, but it looks good. As the guitars arrived, they were not useable. But with a little bit of work and materials, they can play, sound, and look great. Think of them as project guitars. I had fun fixing them up.

It's all because of the scarcity of good wood; glad I got plenty of that ;) ... so no worries here and a Les Paul Custom in Silverburst that I love and will not go to my grave with me but will be sold by my wife long after I've gone.

What the hell is Richlite anyway?

Back
Top Bottom