Gibson es-339 question?

Eastman also has a really nice 339 style model, if I’m not mistaken it’s the T184MX. A used one could be a good value.

The T184 would be fully hollow iirc vs semi? Not 100% up to date on the eastman nomenclature - i know they have fully hollow models that iirc cost a bit more.

If you want to be shocked, try an Ibanez Artcore. Impeccable construction and finish and great tone at ridiculously low prices. Maybe too big? Not sure how it compares to the 339, but it was much better balanced and sounded as good to me.

IIRC, they're equipped with a post only under the bridge to couple the front and back vibrations and provide strength to mount the bridge, instead of a block under the pickups and bridge like on a semi-hollow. It also helps avoid uncontrollable feedback.

They changed overall construction of the back and sides at some point but that post is still supposed to be used.
Yep, and it does a great job, too! Still, mostly a hollowbody, just without the feedback issues. Seems to me that the block transmits the vibration from the bridge through to the back pretty well. Very alive guitars!

If you want to be shocked, try an Ibanez Artcore. Impeccable construction and finish and great tone at ridiculously low prices. Maybe too big? Not sure how it compares to the 339, but it was much better balanced and sounded as good to me.
I played one years ago. I'll check.
Just remembered the one I had was a 153?

Last edited:
So I was checking specifics on the Eastman T484-Body is same as 339. 12" radius-Ebony fingerboard. Says Center block. What is curious is the Traditional Even C Profile neck? I could not find an image for that. I know of course what a C profile is. Never heard of Even C? Anyone know cause I am really liking what I read about this guitar
Eastman says they are made in Beijing, China and are the ONLY guitars made there? Not sure if that's a fact.
I can get a new one for $1,345 and free shipping. I can also counter the offer and try and get less.
They are $1,599 most places. The sweetwater link is above in #25.

I've owned both the Gibson and Epiphone ES-339 and found that they both have the same 50's neck profile. Not until you reach up into the $5999 plus range will you find 60's-style slim taper neck profiles.

After some deliberation and research, I found that the D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC is that same body shape as the ES-339, espouses the 60's slim taper neck profile and is currently on sale with Sweetwater for $799. The XT DC also has the Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB pickups, another good reason for check this out.

So I was checking specifics on the Eastman T484-Body is same as 339. 12" radius-Ebony fingerboard. Says Center block. What is curious is the Traditional Even C Profile neck? I could not find an image for that. I know of course what a C profile is. Never heard of Even C? Anyone know cause I am really liking what I read about this guitar
Eastman says they are made in Beijing, China and are the ONLY guitars made there? Not sure if that's a fact.
I can get a new one for $1,345 and free shipping. I can also counter the offer and try and get less.
They are $1,599 most places. The sweetwater link is above in #25.
If its the same as their T486 its basically an R9-adjacent profile. Very comfortable, 83-93ish maybe? Im sure theres been eastman posts here and current owners can hopefully measure.

I can tell you that my T486 was just as well built as my 2019 and 2020 les paul standards, maybe a little cleaner fretboard sanding even.

If its the same as their T486 its basically an R9-adjacent profile. Very comfortable, 83-93ish maybe? Im sure theres been eastman posts here and current owners can hopefully measure.

I can tell you that my T486 was just as well built as my 2019 and 2020 les paul standards, maybe a little cleaner fretboard sanding even.
It is the same as the T486. seems all their semi hollows say Traditional Even C profile neck. was just looking at Sweetwater and NOW Eastman has this thinline model-something new-wasn't there yesterday. Not for me though.

It is the same as the T486. seems all their semi hollows say Traditional Even C profile neck. was just looking at Sweetwater and NOW Eastman has this thinline model-something new-wasn't there yesterday. Not for me though.
Their latest has been out for a few years, updated 2023 iirc - the one with a single in the neck?

I bought an ES-339 used several years ago. Never stayed in tune. I sold it for more than I paid for it. IMHO, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a guitar consider a comparable PRS or Kiesel. Better QC; better quality; better design.

Last edited:
The upper fret access is terrible if you have never played one and that is an issue. The ones I have had in sound very similar to 335s.

I have played both a 335 and 339 (Gibson). I still have the 339 (it's the one in my picture by the 1940's vintage Gibson amp). In my experience (take it for what it's worth), the 335 sounded better (more volume and clearer) below about the 8th fret (more or less). The 339 sounded better above the 8th fret. It came with the (in my opinion) typically poor cut nut that Gibson sends out in a lot of their guitars. The strings hang up (graphite is your friend here) and the tuners are too low a ratio, which taken together tends to make tuning a bit more of a job. It's light and well built and has that nice wood and nitro finish smell. The back of neck was sticky when my hands were sweaty for the first year or two but it got better on it's own (no sanding needed in my case).

Part of my experience with the 335 style was it sounded so close to my les paul style guitars (was paul-less at the time, imagine!) that it wasnt worth dealing with the large body for a small tonal change.

Hopefully not a derail, but im hoping a fully hollow p90 or bucker guitar would sound substantially different plugged in to warrant having around.

I bought an ES-339 used several years ago. Never stayed in tune. I sold it for more than I paid for it. IMHO, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a guitar consider a comparable PRS or Kiesel. Better QC; better quality; better design.
I don't like the PRS necks at all. But besides that I truly have always wanted an es-XXX type guitar. As stated above I am seriously looking at the Eastman T484.............

Back
Top Bottom