Getting the best of both worlds (Axe FxII and Analog Amp)

fxman_31

Hi there,

Just a quick question and maybe someone can let me know how they go about this setup that I have in mind for my Axe Fx II and other gear. Currently I use my Axe FX II into a Carvin TS100 poweramp. I am considering purchasing a Victory Amplifier and cabinet and run in stereo with this current setup.

The 4CM looks like a good way to incorporate the analog amp, but is there a way you can rout the patch to run both an amp sim and the real amp (with fx loop block) so I can run both sounds in stereo?? Both poweramp/amplifiers will be sent to their respective 212 cabinets.

Surely there is a way you can rout, ie. a voodoo lab audio switcher or a mini midi gizmo?
Sure there's always a way. But 4cm typically uses all the I/O of the axe making it very difficult. For 4cm I just recommend mic'ing your cab like normal.

But personally I still don't understand having a real amp create your tone for some listeners and modeling create your tone for others. I tried it, but the tones were always different no matter how close they actually were. And I was adjusting both the real amp and modeled sound at different gigs anyway - too much work.

Indeed, and the Axe can be set-up to run dual modeling amps quite easily, with no headaches over connections, if you really want to create those type of layered tones

Currently that's how I have my tone setup up running dual amp blocks for the stereo sound, just the purist in me misses that warmth of a real amp. Be an awesome setup to have both running in perfect harmony, just how is doing my head in.

I'd wager that once it was all set-up, and assuming you didn't have any give away noise issues, that in a blind listen you couldn't pick the dual amp models vs the modeler/real amp hybrid rig....

Not saying its not worth the time and effort (which is will require, no doubt) but sonically, I don't think there will be any additional warmth et al.,

I know that in direct comparison with my single amp rigs, the Fractal sounded every bit as good (and actually better since it was quieter lol)

Back
Top Bottom