getting that we little 'Champ' tone

BillyZeppa

Power User
Anyone know how to get that little fender champ tone? The tone that sounds like a little speaker - sort of clean amp, but totally not direct tone, or dirty but small and cheeky? I've tried a number of clean amps, fender, others, but they all have a big, tone with a purr more than that bite i'm looking for.

1x10 Prince Tone IR's in Cab Pack 10 get dayum close.

One of my few regrets is selling my vintage champ. I played all of my first serious shows with a memory man delay, electric mistress flanger, crybaby and a champ and legend amp in stereo.

Yep- pick the applicable amp model (Champ) and start experimenting w/ different IRs. There are a number of good factory ones from FAS, more from their cab packs (and TAF) you can buy separately. It may take some time to find just the right one.. I use the factory oval 1x6 in at least one preset for each of my guitars. LOVE that IR and how it stands out in a mix.. not really the sound you're looking for though.

I still have two vintage Vibro Champs ('64 and '68) and one tweed champ that's been out on loan for a long time. Still use them around the house- they can sound huge in a room that's not too big. Mine all have really good alnico speakers (2 vintage and 1 newer Weber). All 3 sound vastly different. Love 'em for what they do.

Use the Champ model with a Champ IR?

Ya, that sounds like a good idea. I keep forgetting that not all the amps have presets, or presets with names like 'X' amp and cab, and amps are often called something other than 'X', so when i looked i couldn't find the champ amp, or the Champ cab... I guess the next stop is fractal wiki :encouragement: , right?

OK, the tweed (champ) amp and tweed 8" cab got me closer, but i think i may need to band pass somewhere to get just what i want - maybe pre EQ?
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll try them all.
I will also play around with 'proximity' and 'proximity freq' in the cab block - a higher frequency for the 'proximity freq' may be even better than pre EQ...
For this song i'm working on, i want to contrast a tiny sounding amp with attitude in one part with a huge sounding doubled up amp in the next part.

If you want tiny, blend in the 1x6 Oval. Or just use it by itself.

Thanks, Rex. You know, i just tired it, and found that the tweed 8 sounds smaller. The 'oval 6' sounds pretty big in fact to my ears...
Ah well...it was worth a shot.

Try the amp's GEQ. Start cutting here and there. With each adjustment, ask yourself whether it's closer to or farther from the target.

Thanks, Rex. You know, i just tired it, and found that the tweed 8 sounds smaller. The 'oval 6' sounds pretty big in fact to my ears...

Yea, I wouldn't call that speaker (oval 6) tiny in the least.. and if you need more low end from it, set the mic to null and adjust proximity.

Back
Top Bottom