Getting distortion out of 50w Marshall jumpered...

guitartripp

Inspired
I've asked this before to no avail... is there anyone that has some great 60's/70's distortion out of their jumpered plexi amp? I've tried with my '87 Strat, as well as a 7 String...I can barely get any distortion/gain from this one...What am I doing wrong?

Don't know anything about "60's/70's distortion", but I have no trouble at all getting "distortion/gain" out of the Plexi 50W Jumpered at default settings (double tap BYPASS when AMP-block is selected) with my ESP Horizon NT-II and JP12 7 String.

Find a cab with greenbacks. I prefer the Basketweave Green Mix. Put a TS-808, a Fuzzface, or a Big Muff Pi in front of the amp. Make sure that your that your Master Volume is all the way up. The '72 didn't have a master volume. I don't know whether this is one of them with the tone stack in front of the gain stages like the the 1987XL or the JTM-45, but it doesn't sound like it is. On those, you dime the EQ. On this one, I set it at 4850.(i.e. Bass/Mid/Treble/Pres) to start dialing it in. Set the gain on both channels around 5. A Plexi on 4 will take your head off, so most people didn't play it cracked open much farther than that. Eventually, I wound up somewhere around 4724 with the TS-808 on 5 and 5. Use the TS-808 tone control as a gross EQ control when switching guitars and control your distortion level with that by using both the volume and the distortion knobs. You can also use the treble side gain as a treble control and normal side gain as a bass control, so you can mix the differing distortions. If it sounds muddy, turn down the bass level, because you are getting overtones of the bass frequencies. The thing to remember is that the tone stack on the Marshalls were pretty cross coupled.

Also, remember that there were no effects loops, so any effects had to go in front of the amp. In those days, delays were tape based or analog bucket brigade type. The tape delay can cut some of the top end off of the amp from replicative fading, so you can use that to make things smoother. That's how you head toward the classic 70's lead tone.

Tell me how it sounds to you. And, we can work on issues from there. The problem might be your pick ups are not hot enough. Fender laces were pretty low output. I don't have the '90 Strat Plus anymore, but I was just checking out things with a '69 Strat Relic. That guitar went right there.

Last edited:
Make sure poweramp modeling is ON since this model gets distorded with the master volume all the way up!! This way, you should get plenty of gain with the drive pass 3. If not, you're doing something wrong because this model has plenty of gain under the hood!!

Find a cab with greenbacks. I prefer the Basketweave Green Mix. Put a TS-808, a Fuzzface, or a Big Muff Pi in front of the amp. Make sure that your that your Master Volume is all the way up. The '72 didn't have a master volume. I don't know whether this is one of them with the tone stack in front of the gain stages like the the 1987XL or the JTM-45, but it doesn't sound like it is. On those, you dime the EQ. On this one, I set it at 4850.(i.e. Bass/Mid/Treble/Pres) to start dialing it in. Set the gain on both channels around 5. A Plexi on 4 will take your head off, so most people didn't play it cracked open much farther than that. Eventually, I wound up somewhere around 4724 with the TS-808 on 5 and 5. Use the TS-808 tone control as a gross EQ control when switching guitars and control your distortion level with that by using both the volume and the distortion knobs. You can also use the treble side gain as a treble control and normal side gain as a bass control, so you can mix the differing distortions. If it sounds muddy, turn down the bass level, because you are getting overtones of the bass frequencies. The thing to remember is that the tone stack on the Marshalls were pretty cross coupled.

Also, remember that there were no effects loops, so any effects had to go in front of the amp. In those days, delays were tape based or analog bucket brigade type. The tape delay can cut some of the top end off of the amp from replicative fading, so you can use that to make things smoother. That's how you head toward the classic 70's lead tone.

Tell me how it sounds to you. And, we can work on issues from there. The problem might be your pick ups are not hot enough. Fender laces were pretty low output. I don't have 90 Strat Plus anymore, but I was just checking out things with a '69 Strat Relic. That guitar went right there.

Do 5150 refer to settings? Hmmm.... Brown with 5150 setting. Got to try that.

I'm hoping I don't come off sounding condescending here, but are you sure your input gain is set right on the soft knobs? You'd have problems with all the other amp models and presets too, so I'd imagine you'd have adjusted by now if that's the case, but this screams of gain staging issues to me.

With the soft knobs, I can see someone wailing on their high gain presets with some actives, then switch guits to vintage singles and wonder what happened.

Edit: Ouch, no difference with your 7 String either? Throws my suggestion out the window...

I'm hoping I don't come off sounding condescending here, but are you sure your input gain is set right on the soft knobs? You'd have problems with all the other amp models and presets too, so I'd imagine you'd have adjusted by now if that's the case, but this screams of gain staging issues to me.

With the soft knobs, I can see someone wailing on their high gain presets with some actives, then switch guits to vintage singles and wonder what happened.

Edit: Ouch, no difference with your 7 String either? Throws my suggestion out the window...

Input levels will not affect gain unless they are EXTREMELY low. The input level soft buttons adjust the levels pre A/D conversion.The Axe-fx compensates by inversely boosting/cutting the signal after A/D conversion to keep unity gain.

Yep. Well, I mainly use my 7 string for Dream Theater type stuff...gonna see if there's a difference in those tones now.

Yes, what about a DiMarzio HS2? Any experience?

Back
Top Bottom