GetGood Drums snare comparison + ML Bulb Zilla + Darkglass

Which two snares did you like the most?

• Total voters

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

My good buddy Nolly and the guys from Periphery just released GetGood Drums and their first product The Matt Halpern Signature Pack. I was playing around with the pack and it's exactly what I was hoping it'd be. All the snares are incredibly punchy and well tuned. I have to say that I've been having a lot of problems with programmed snares over the years and there are only a couple that I can work with but all the snares in this pack sound incredible. That is why I created this video to sort of ask for an opinion on something that's not at all guitar related. :D There's close to no processing done on these drums except for an 1176 style comp with around 3dB gain reduction and a+3dB high shelf. You can also choose between two kicks and different cymbals and the drum heads for toms.

The guitars are using the USA Lead amp sim running the upcoming Zilla Cab Pack that I'm working on with Misha Mansoor from Periphery. The IR I'm using here is called "Flattest" and so far the beta guys keep telling me it's my best work to date. :) I know I know.. when is it out? I hate that four letter word as much as you guys so I'm not making any promises. Once Misha gets back home we'll be doing the final touches to the pack and it's good to go.

Other than that the bass is running a Darkglass drive pedal for that dirt/compression. It's got quite a drastic EQ curve on it to achieve that sound it's known for. :)

My good buddy Nolly and the guys from Periphery just released GetGood Drums and their first product The Matt Halpern Signature Pack. I was playing around with the pack and it's exactly what I was hoping it'd be. All the snares are incredibly punchy and well tuned. I have to say that I've been having a lot of problems with programmed snares over the years and there are only a couple that I can work with but all the snares in this pack sound incredible. That is why I created this video to sort of ask for an opinion on something that's not at all guitar related. :D There's close to no processing done on these drums except for an 1176 style comp with around 3dB gain reduction and a+3dB high shelf. You can also choose between two kicks and different cymbals and the drum heads for toms.

The guitars are using the USA Lead amp sim running the upcoming Zilla Cab Pack that I'm working on with Misha Mansoor from Periphery. The IR I'm using here is called "Flattest" and so far the beta guys keep telling me it's my best work to date. :) I know I know.. when is it out? I hate that four letter word as much as you guys so I'm not making any promises. Once Misha gets back home we'll be doing the final touches to the pack and it's good to go.

Other than that the bass is running a Darkglass drive pedal for that dirt/compression. It's got quite a drastic EQ curve on it to achieve that sound it's known for. :)

Would like to try them but they are pricey :(

Would like to try them but they are pricey :(
They're definitely enough bang for the buck. I've personally spent quite a lot on drum software and this one already has more usable snares than the others put together. Drums are so much about how you hit them. Not only how hard but also where you hit them. Is there a better person for the job than Matt? Probably not. :) I almost posted a comparison between other drum programs but it seemed unfair.

I want these sample so bad, but I dont know why. Maybe because I based a lot of my mixing style after nollys and I just like how how he gets matt's drums to sound. I will prolly gave soon and get them.

done!

Can you tell us a bit more about the darkglass drive pedal settings and about the drastic eq curve you talked about?
Sure! I run it in the boost mode and fat mode which is the most aggressive mode I guess. I have the blend on full and record the DI and drive separetely so I can adjust how much drive I need in post. Drive varies a bit. I have it around noon... I kind of want to have it higher than that but usually I end up sounding better with it lower. The drastic EQ is actually quite natural for a bass but what usually happens with drive pedals is that you end up getting too much mids and not enough bass so what the Darkglass does is you get that huge low end and that middle area is a bit scooped and the high end is really pleasant. So it's kind of mix-ready straight out of the box. I know it's not very present in this mix as I'm demonstrating the drums here but I might do a better clip a bit later on.

i even wish there was a "lower" snare (i like thuddy snares)
Low(my favourite) and Medium would probably work by themselves
but the high/13" would only use them to blend for more crack

i even wish there was a "lower" snare (i like thuddy snares)
Low(my favourite) and Medium would probably work by themselves
but the high/13" would only use them to blend for more crack
I was actually thinking about the same thing. Would be so cool to have the ghost notes of the higher snares but the punch and thud of the low snare. Gotta love that 13 inch ring as well for more aggressive genres.

They all sound pretty phenomenal to me
:) Have to wait a week or two but looking forward to giving them a go with the vdrum kit! Can't wait to see what else you guys cook up

I would if I had kontakt, but I don't have the money to drop on that AND the samples so slate 4 platinum it is for the time being
Yeah that'll most likely be the main problem for many people. If you have Slate Trigger the pack comes with .tci files. Not sure if they work with other Slate programs as well.

They all sound pretty phenomenal to me
:) Have to wait a week or two but looking forward to giving them a go with the vdrum kit! Can't wait to see what else you guys cook up
Nolly and Matt did such an awesome job tuning the drums and hitting them well. There really are no bad sounds in the pack. :)

How much velocity layers are in this? i didn´t find anythin on the site. do you have a fast metal example? maybe with blasts? :)

Back
Top Bottom