Get Yer 11.0 Beta Here!

Well, I've been a troll here since the forum started but only just registered last year. There are tons of great folks here. I still love my VG-99 and have just spent a whole day building different COSM guitar patches to front my Axe with. So far I'm very happy but I have gear guilt now. I used to only have guitar guilt with 5 or 6 guitars hanging around that only get played once in a while. This is why I'm trying to encorporate my VG-99 and GR-55 for the COSM models, tunings, and synths. Otherwise the gear will just collect dust. This will be a fun ride!

I'm a VG-99 user too..
and I still think it's a seriously good sounding, capable and solid piece of kit..

I've not tried integrating it with the Axe because I'm trying to keep my 'flying weight' down..
at some point though I certainly will for studio only stuff...

I really don't think it can get much better than the 11b firmware. If axe-edit comes out with firmware 11 sounding like this 11 beta I really don't see how it can get any better. I hope the finalized release sounds exactly like this

I've tried it both ways. I've been leaving it "on" these days... doesn't seem to hurt.

So, essentially... you guys using tube power amps AND leaving the Power Amp sims on in the Axe are essentially running your signal thru TWO levels of coloration by doing this. So, in fairness, your comparison of the tube power amps and the solid state offerings like Matrix, etc. are not apple to apples comparisons. Not saying that what you like isn't "correct"... it's just not a "fair" comparison. Only way to make that a fair comparison is to run two amp blocks in a preset (make sure Power Amp sims are ON in Global Settings) setup identical... one feeding Out1 to a SS amp like the Matrix, the other amp block with Sag set to zero (effectively turning off the Power Amp sim for that block) feeding Out2 to a tube power amp like the Mesa 2:90, Fryette 2:90:2, etc. THEN compare what they sound like. It would be a much more fair comparison between the two setups.

fair doesn't matter if something sounds better.

Absolutely. Which is why I stated in my previous post... "Not saying that what you like isn't "correct"...".

It's just not a fair statement by the tube power amp guys that the SS offerings "aren't even close, etc., etc." That might lead other forum members looking for a power amp solution away from good accurate SS power amp offerings. I'm of the opinion that good, solid information is key to forums like this.

I think people who are entertaining the idea of running the axe through a power amp into a real cab need to try both if they can
both have their positives and negatives. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.
I have been gushing about this Fryette lately because I am just blown away at how well it matches up with the Axe FX II.
if I was gigging and had to haul gear around I would maybe rethink my options as the Matrix is very, and I mean very good for an SS amp (easily the best I've ever tried).
Believe I've tried a few other tube amps in the past and the Matrix was a far better match than any of those were ( a couple of other SS power amps too that just IMO sucked);
But for the most part these days my rack just sits in one place so for me , I want to take advantage of the modeling and ease of recording (which I do) but I also want to
jam and practice through what I feel is the closest I can to to the amp models without cab sims on through a regular guitar cab.
for me ....this is it.
I'm actually a little taken back by all of this hoopla ....................why is this a point of contention?

Last edited:
I think people who are entertaining the idea of running the axe through a power amp into a real cab need to try both if they can
both have their positives and negatives. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.
I have been gushing about this Fryette lately because I am just blown away at how well it matches up with the Axe FX II.
if i was gigging and had to haul gear around I would maybe rethink my options as the Matrix is very, and I mean very good for an SS amp (easily the best I've ever tried).
Believe I've tried a few other tube amps in the past and the Matrix was a far better match than any of those were ( acouple of other SS power amps too that just IMO sucked);
But for the most part these day my rack just sits in one place so for me , I want to take advantage of the modeling and ease of recording (which I do) but I also want to
jam and practice through what I feel is the closest I can to to the amp models without cab sims on through a regular guitar cab.
for me ....this is it.
I'm actually a little taken back by all of this hoopla ....................why is this a point of contention?

I am one person you will never have to sell on the value of a good tube amp over a digital platform. However that being said -- I am beyond happy and satisfied with the Axe/matrix combination.

Here are a couple of the pedalboards I use to haul around in addition to a full rack (with dumblator/eclipse etc), 60 pound amp head and god knows how much my cabs weighed (speakers alone were 20 plus pounds) - sometimes even two amp rigs in addition to the boards

This is just a small sample :shock

Laz1.jpg

Laz2-1.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

boardlc.jpg

The list of amp rigs is long and were equally as painful to lug around.

All of that is gone.

Simple rack and one small board that allows me to control more stuff and without having the fear of patch cables failing on me during gig etcs.

Tubes are great and as fair and as I am concerned they have nothing to worry about -- but even for a tube amp snob like me -- the Axe/matrix is just as satisfying and when I factor in the weight loss and how compact it is -- it is a no brainer - especially after fw10.

So, essentially... you guys using tube power amps AND leaving the Power Amp sims on in the Axe are essentially running your signal thru TWO levels of coloration by doing this. So, in fairness, your comparison of the tube power amps and the solid state offerings like Matrix, etc. are not apple to apples comparisons. Not saying that what you like isn't "correct"... it's just not a "fair" comparison. Only way to make that a fair comparison is to run two amp blocks in a preset (make sure Power Amp sims are ON in Global Settings) setup identical... one feeding Out1 to a SS amp like the Matrix, the other amp block with Sag set to zero (effectively turning off the Power Amp sim for that block) feeding Out2 to a tube power amp like the Mesa 2:90, Fryette 2:90:2, etc. THEN compare what they sound like. It would be a much more fair comparison between the two setups.

The mesa 2:Ninety still sounds better with the power amp simulator "on" or "off, so I really doesn't understand your point.

I tried them both in both in "identical" configurations. What's not a fair comparison? With a real cabinet the Matrix always came up short, NOT even close by a long shot (in any configuration). It's really that obvious. More to the point...even my Mesa 2:Twenty sounds fuller and louder (no joke).

That's my story I'm sticking to it.

So I have the power amp simulator "on"... ? Consider it virtual re-amping.

I am one person you will never have to sell on the value of a good tube amp over a digital platform. However that being said -- I am beyond happy and satisfied with the Axe/matrix combination.

Here are a couple of the pedalboards I use to haul around in addition to a full rack (with dumblator/eclipse etc), 60 pound amp head and god knows how much my cabs weighed (speakers alone were 20 plus pounds) - sometimes even two amp rigs in addition to the boards

This is just a small sample :shock

Laz1.jpg

Laz2-1.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

boardlc.jpg

The list of amp rigs is long and were equally as painful to lug around.

All of that is gone.

Simple rack and one small board that allows me to control more stuff and without having the fear of patch cables failing on me during gig etcs.

Tubes are great and as fair and as I am concerned they have nothing to worry about -- but even for a tube amp snob like me -- the Axe/matrix is just as satisfying and when I factor in the weight loss and how compact it is -- it is a no brainer - especially after fw10.
dude, buy a POD. line 6 makes 'em. it'll replace all those pedals!

I personally treat my Axe FX as the 'tube' and then my Matrix as just the power. I record direct and love it, and running that through the matrix to my cab is just like having the head on my cab. As long as you adjust your low feq response, it sounds wonderful!

Edit: Sounds AND feels wonderful :)

The mesa 2:Ninety still sounds better with the power amp simulator "on" or "off, so I really doesn't understand your point.

I tried them both in both in "identical" configurations. What's not a fair comparison? With a real cabinet the Matrix always came up short, NOT even close by a long shot (in any configuration). It's really that obvious. More to the point...even my Mesa 2:Twenty sounds fuller and louder (no joke).

That's my story I'm sticking to it.

So I have the power amp simulator "on"... ? Consider it virtual re-amping.

My point was simply that if you're using a tube power amp (especially one that doesn't claim to be "flat"), and you're also using the Axe-Fx with Power Amp sims ON, then your signal is essentially going thru two sections of power amp tone coloration, and therefore probably isn't accurate. If accuracy is not what you're looking for, then no worries! Seriously, if you dig the way it sounds, then that IS all that matters. To YOU.

For others that may be after as much accuracy as possible (this would include me), especially for guys trying to determine what power amp they'd like to go with, I wanted to express another opinion besides "tube power amps are much better than SS power amps". Especially when they might not have been compared accurately. That is all.

I picked up a GT1000FX a few weeks ago. Like everyone else I was dying to hear how it sounded compared to my tube amps. When I run the Axe thru guitar cabs I use 4CM through a THD Flexi 50, a pretty nice amp. Doing a straight comparison the Matrix sounded kind of flat. But that's expected! After just a bit of tweaking with the patch and the Axe's global EQ...add some mids, add a bit of top end...I was able to get them sounding pretty damn close. So with all due respect to some of the folks here, some of these "comparisons" just don't add up in my mind. You can't expect a solid state amp and your tube amp to sound the same without turning some knobs to match them, and it doesn't seem like some of you are doing that. I know some are, but the folks that are like "I made a patch and it sounds way different between my tube and solid state amps"...well, no $h1t. If you don't want to spend the time dialing stuff in that's fine, but to say the sounds aren't there...well, that's *your* fault. Identical? Maybe not, but I've gotten my tube amps and Matrix/Axe (thru both guitar cabs and FRFR) sounding close enough I bet I could probably fool people.

My point was simply that if you're using a tube power amp (especially one that doesn't claim to be "flat"), and you're also using the Axe-Fx with Power Amp sims ON, then your signal is essentially going thru two sections of power amp tone coloration, and therefore probably isn't accurate. If accuracy is not what you're looking for, then no worries! Seriously, if you dig the way it sounds, then that IS all that matters. To YOU.

For others that may be after as much accuracy as possible (this would include me), especially for guys trying to determine what power amp they'd like to go with, I wanted to express another opinion besides "tube power amps are much better than SS power amps". Especially when they might not have been compared accurately. That is all.

I'm not worried. Like I said in my original statement... "IMHO". You don't have to agree with it.

That's why I bought a Matrix amp. Reading all the hoopla on these message boards, just turned out it wasn't my cup of tea. That's okay, not everything works for everybody.

"Especially when they might not have been compared accurately." WTF? I didn't know I was suppose to report lab statics.

I did my diligence and spent MUCH time tweaking, and whatnot... I work with the one of the folks at Matrix (Matt, who was very helpful), who sent some very detailed suggested settings. Unfortunately it wasn't happening for me. I was able to EQ "some" of the flatness out, but that added synthetic coloration that made the sound too murky. So for me the trade off wasn't working.

Believe me, nothing would have made more happy if I could get away with using 8lb amp vs. a 35lb amp.

That's my experience... yours may vary.

All the best.

I picked up a GT1000FX a few weeks ago. Like everyone else I was dying to hear how it sounded compared to my tube amps. When I run the Axe thru guitar cabs I use 4CM through a THD Flexi 50, a pretty nice amp. Doing a straight comparison the Matrix sounded kind of flat. But that's expected! After just a bit of tweaking with the patch and the Axe's global EQ...add some mids, add a bit of top end...I was able to get them sounding pretty damn close. So with all due respect to some of the folks here, some of these "comparisons" just don't add up in my mind. You can't expect a solid state amp and your tube amp to sound the same without turning some knobs to match them, and it doesn't seem like some of you are doing that. I know some are, but the folks that are like "I made a patch and it sounds way different between my tube and solid state amps"...well, no $h1t. If you don't want to spend the time dialing stuff in that's fine, but to say the sounds aren't there...well, that's *your* fault. Identical? Maybe not, but I've gotten my tube amps and Matrix/Axe (thru both guitar cabs and FRFR) sounding close enough I bet I could probably fool people.

I've spent a week in tweeking my patches and eq but I think my matrix Will never sound like my peavey 50 50 tube Power amp.
With beta11 matrix sounds quite good but tube are always far better...
I'm sorry for that but for now I'll stay with tubes :)
Sorry because tube amps are heavy :) :)

Back
Top Bottom