Gary Moore RIP!

When i first started playing gtr i heard his solo on "Shapes of Things" and tho it was out of my league at the time, it became my personal Mt Everest!

That solo was my first exposure to Gary Moore, really a magnificent solo. Great playing Andee, nice homage to Mr. Moore.

Really sad news, he was an essential influence for me in the end of the eighties :( I learned his live version solos of "Shapes of things", "Don't take me for a loser", "Empty rooms" at the time, and later "Over the hills" and "The loner", which I still play with various bands today…

RIP

Cant say he was a huge influence on me, but I really dug his stuff. To me, his playing didnt scream "look at me!", but, rather blended in with the music, and thats saying alot.
My first real exposure to him was "Shapes of things". Very excellent solo, just about perfect. He really seemed to cross boundaries better than most. From rock to Metal (?) and blues, he really nailed them. Not a "Jack of all trades, master of none", he had several styles down pat.

He will be missed.

I first heard Gary Moore in the late 70s whilst i was watching a late night music show.
He was playing guitar for Julian Webber (the cellist).
I just found the same video that i saw way back then.
I've posted a link because this is a little bit different - especially the other parts in the Variations.

He then popped up (for the 2nd time) in my favourite band at the time - Thin Lizzy.
I saw him live in Brisbane on that tour in 1978 - what a showman...what a player.
I didn't get into his 80s period but he played with undeniable passion.
I am saddened by his loss.

I first heard Gary Moore in the late 70s whilst i was watching a late night music show.
He was playing guitar for Julian Webber (the cellist).
I just found the same video that i saw way back then.
I've posted a link because this is a little bit different - especially the other parts in the Variations.

He then popped up (for the 2nd time) in my favourite band at the time - Thin Lizzy.
I saw him live in Brisbane on that tour in 1978 - what a showman...what a player.
I didn't get into his 80s period but he played with undeniable passion.
I am saddened by his loss.

You mean in colosseum ll John Hisemans band, they did the album that features on the southbank show sig.tune, I was privileged to be at a house in W-S-mare somerset when Garry and his brother cliff were there , and Garry played some of the riffs
he had to learn for the recording, he played them forward then reverse at blistering speed and took all our breath away. He was one of the nicest guys you could meet, and I am sure his death was a tragic accident, like so many- Bonham, Scot etc who had a late meal and a drink and then choked in their sleep. Big mistake especially food and fizzy drink before bed, as the reaction in
the stomach can be fatal, when alcohol is involved as well.What a tragic waste of a great man.

Wow.
I'm stunned.

He single handedly put blues back into the picture with 'Still got the blues'.
Definitely to early.

Back
Top Bottom