Gary Moore RIP!

I was just reading about it and couldn't find any solid news links. Looks like they're popping up now. RIP to one of my favorites.

One of my early guitar idols... very sad to hear this news. Had to sit down and play "Still Got The Blues". :(

Shocked and stunned! What terrible news. I was only listening to Gary's 'Bad For You Baby' album this morning thinking how outrageously talented the man is. His solos on that album are sublime and an inspiration to all guitarists. R.I.P. Gary Moore, we are going to miss you.

RIP Gary.
He was/is a major influence to the way I play.
Thin Lizzy, Solo - it didn't matter. One of the very few great ones.

Major downer. He was truly a guitar player's guitar player. A man of great passion behind a guitar (and vocals come to think of it), with the chops to stun.

RIP Gary Moore. For me he was one of the great rock'n'roll players although blues is certainly something he was excellent at.
As a teenager I used to crank up the volume and _try_ to play along to this record
(and this version of the solo) and his Live in Japan album for months on end. Maybe years :)

Last edited:
When i first started playing gtr i heard his solo on "Shapes of Things" and tho it was out of my league at the time, it became my personal Mt Everest!

i recorded a cover of it today in honor of the man:

Today it remains a textbook example of how to construct the ultimate rock solo.

Gary had it all: tone, technique, passion and style. He was a great singer and songwriter as well, something that doesn't get mentioned enough.

Really sad he's gone so soon. R.I.P.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i first started playing gtr i heard his solo on "Shapes of Things" and tho it was out of my league at the time, it became my personal Mt Everest!

i recorded a cover of it today in honor of the man:

Today it remains a textbook example of how to construct the ultimate rock solo.

Gary had it all: tone, technique, passion and style. He was a great singer and songwriter as well, something that doesn't get mentioned enough.

Really sad he's gone so soon. R.I.P.

I embedded it for you, Andee. Great solo. Great tribute!

-TK

A great player who really knew how to make a Les Paul sing...Gary had great phrasing and tasteful riffs. Gone but never forgotten....

I was reading about some of his gear tonight, and liked this quote from Mr. Moore:

Gary: "One of the guys from Metallica goes up to [producer] Bob Rock and says, 'This is the sound I want,' and plays him 'Oh Pretty Woman' from "Still Got The Blues". Then they proceed to go through all these pre-amps and processors to achieve it.

I felt I should write and say, 'That's not how to do it. You've got the money now guys, go out and buy a '59 Les Paul, a Guv'nor pedal and a JTM45!"

RIP

Back
Top Bottom