G3 modeling thread

If any frustration is directed at FAS or Cliff, it's unwarranted. My only concern is rooted in the fact that I received the AXE like, a week ago. I had visions of me and my AXE frolicking through the meadows catching firmware updates for years to come, can't a man dream?!

All the XL brings to the G3-relevant table is X/Y parameter sets for additional block types. This means larger syx files and extra non-volatile storage requirements in the black box... those additional Y sets of parameters have to be stored somewhere. There's ~zero reason to fear that G3 won't run on mk 1/2... unless the new modelling engine deploys a much larger number of amp block parameters than before, which I doubt. <-- and even if it did, CC could presumably reduce the number of presets (or user IR slots) down from 384 to make up the difference.

Worry ye not!

Someone panicking about the possibility of a measly 256 presets in 3, 2, 1...

Last edited:
Not directing this at anyone in particular but I think the Axe is a lot of users first high end digital audio device. If your a "dumb" guitarist (I say that lovingly) updating OS etc is kind of a a foreign concept compared to analog hardware gear.

I see the same thing on photo forums, where a lot of users don't know how to update a camera firmware, are afraid to do so etc. Other users can't wait for each new firmware as it adds new features, improved focus etc.

I think most Axe users who have had the units a while know about updates and can't wait for them. If you just bought your unit though, have no clue about all the cool stuff it adds, its just this kind of scary concept you've never done before and that makes you worry about doing something to break your new $2300 toy.

Understandable I think, at least until you do it, and realize how quick and easy it is, then you join the masses that check the site 3 times a day hoping for news of a new FW update lol

I understand your point.

But I would call that "cautious" or "confused" and not "afraid".

It's the fears an angst I was commenting on, not the noob users who aren't familiar with FW updates. It just seems like each cool new breakthrough is kinda squashed by fear and complaining before it even comes out.

This forum has proven over and over noobs are helped pretty well in my opinion.

Hmm, I missed what you're talking about. Link?

Well, at fb-site of G66 there was yesterday a post that there is now fb- and tutorialsite in the web from Chris. have a lokk at the fb-site of G66 and you'll find it. They are saying thatt the G3 modeling will come "soon" and we should not do much tweaking anymore as there will be a big firmware update. So for Axe FX II will be included to the G3.

This is part of what they have posted:
“G2 Modeling Technology” was introduced in tandem with the Axe-Fx II, if I remember correctly. I doubt this means a new hardware version, as Cliff recently said he hasn’t even begun to think about an Axe III design. However, the fact that the Axe-Fx II line is still being updated (we’re on FW 17!) is great!
I’ve been practicing a bunch of new songs and I’ve redone all my main tones with FW17. It’s just so hard for me to believe that it can get even better than it is now! But I’ve been saying that since the Ultra days. With something being called G3 Modeling, I can only imagine that it’s going to be a big difference, compared to a regular Firmware Update.

The new homepage of Chris is: G3 Modeling coming soon?! | Axe-Fx Tutorials

Well, this sounds exciting! I hope there is a lighter CPU load overall somehow. There's so many high res type of things that are hard to use all on high quality at the same time when you run dual amps.

But hey, I don't give a shit haha. If it sounds better I'll take it in a heart beat.

well that's all great, but now I need to re-work all of my presets! GAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

.... :devilish:

Don't worry, it will be available for all versions of the Axe-Fx II.

This saved the entire thread from being meaningless, but the title is still misleading as fuuuu...

But I read it all anyhow. Learned my lesson from the "scared to update" thread :/

Back
Top Bottom