FX Loop overloading and poor integration with Big Sky

I hope you can help. I have a Big Sky, I have it patched in, in stereo out 2 from AX8 > Big Sky / Big Sky > AX8 fx return.

I see the FX Return meter sometimes gets clipped or go near the red. I get sound of course and it sounds just ok, but not like the depth of the reverbs in the some of the AX8's factory presets. It doesn't sound as 3 dimensional. I did a little research and heard the AX8's output 1 should be set to -10db. And output 2 should be 0db and not 12db. Can that be the problem?

+ Quote Reply

The Strymon stuff can handle line level so that shouldn't be an issue. Where are you placing the fx loop in the chain? If it's after amp/cab, try turning the amp or cab level down.

Hey Leon,
I watched your video on integrating B drive pedal into the AX8 which prompted me to look switching the fx loop output from 12db to 0db.

What I'm more concerned about is the fact that the reverbs from the Big Sky don't sound as enveloping as the reverbs in the AX8. The only reason why use it is to save CPU. I have the loop at the very end of the chain, and I have it being output back in to output 1. What are your thoughts?

Ok I will thank you. And I have a suggestion for a video for you to make.

If you can make a video on getting the most out of the of FX blocks for Flangers, Phaseers, choruses. I set up in stereo and just can't seem to get it really thick sounding. I put the phaser's before the amp

Ok I will thank you. And I have a suggestion for a video for you to make.

If you can make a video on getting the most out of the of FX blocks for Flangers, Phaseers, choruses. I set up in stereo and just can't seem to get it really thick sounding. I put the phaser's before the amp
Post the BigSky preset also.

You know I never went through any of the presets on the Big Sky. I'm going to do that soon. A just seems as though the reverb that's in the AX8 just sounds huge in comparison as going through an outboard reverb. Something must be incorrect. I wouldn't use the Big Sky if the AX8 didn't use up so much processing power on the reverbs

Yes...full stereo. I do route all of the effect blocks into the loop on grid level 2. I keep the mixer level close to zero. I did change the input 2 to 0db from 12db but haven't really explored the benefits of that yet.

I run chorus, delay and multi delay in parallel and they all run into the fx loop last and then to the ouput 1

Yes...full stereo. I do route all of the effect blocks into the loop on grid level 2. I keep the mixer level close to zero. I did change the input 2 to 0db from 12db but haven't really explored the benefits of that yet.

I run chorus, delay and multi delay in parallel and they all run into the fx loop last and then to the ouput 1

Post recordings and your presets and we can help.

Actually the Strymon boxes can only handle +8 dBu, which is lower than a typical box (compare to the AX8’s +20 dBu max input). Many players with line level loops struggle with Strymon. A lot of people use them in front of the amp and so wouldn’t know the difference.

So 2112’s advice of turning the amp block down could help, as will turning down the Out 2 knob.

Also. Parallel. If you’re running the Big Sky (via the FX Loop) in a parallel row, that could be an issue. You’re sending the signal out a DAC, into an ADC, out another DAC, and into another ADC. There is guaranteed latency, and running effects in parallel usually needs zero latency.

You’ve probably done this, but make sure you’ve set the Kill Dry option on the Big Sky. You don’t want it sending any dry signal back into the AX8.

Thank you. I run the fx loop/big sky in line. Running in the fx loop in parallel didn't sound good to me. Too forward. I do run the delays and chorus' in parallel BEFORE the fx loop

I run the fx block back into output 1. I use the xlr outputs to the mains and the 1/4" to QSC's in stereo.

Are there any settings in The AX8 that you recommend?

Thank you again for you help

it probably isn't any "AX8 setting."

if you export and upload your preset, we can help you better.

Actually the Strymon boxes can only handle +8 dBu, which is lower than a typical box (compare to the AX8’s +20 dBu max input). Many players with line level loops struggle with Strymon. A lot of people use them in front of the amp and so wouldn’t know the difference.

So 2112’s advice of turning the amp block down could help, as will turning down the Out 2 knob.

Also. Parallel. If you’re running the Big Sky (via the FX Loop) in a parallel row, that could be an issue. You’re sending the signal out a DAC, into an ADC, out another DAC, and into another ADC. There is guaranteed latency, and running effects in parallel usually needs zero latency.

You’ve probably done this, but make sure you’ve set the Kill Dry option on the Big Sky. You don’t want it sending any dry signal back into the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom