Wish FX-8 Rackmount & Made in the US

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd really like to see a US made FX-8 that is rack mounted.
I use a heavily modded Mesa Formula preamp with a 20/20 power amp.
My FX-8 (Mark I) sounds and works incredibly well with this setup, but I don't like having a ton of cabling involved with my setup.
If the FX were racked, I could have 2 cables on the floor (instrument & midi) and significantly cut down on noise, hum, potential damage, etc..

And....I know it would cost a bit more, but I'd like to see it made in the US.

Anyway.....that's it!

Ax-8 rack mount would be cool too. If anything it should be cheaper, considering the foot switch aspect would not apply. I don't know. I guess the r&d of making a separate rack device, at a cheaper price point, would add to the cost. Hmmm

until your wish comes true, mount them in a rack. I don't know about the fx-8 but with the AX-8 there are many things then can be controlled via an external midi controller. Or just buy an Axe fx XL+ and an mfc, this will work as AX-8 or FX-8 except for the amp switching.

Is your chief concern price or best-in-class effects in a rackmount form?

The Axe-Fx II XL+ is the perfect rackmount for 4CM. Many top tier guitarists (Vai, Petrucci, etc) are using the Axe-Fx II (or several) in this configuration. And at least for now, I think it is still made in the US.

If you need amp relay control, add an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo. Rackmount wireless to eliminate one more cable.

MFC or RJM Mastermind for your controller, and you're left with just a single XLR, Ethercon or MIDI cable on the floor.

Is your chief concern price or best-in-class effects in a rackmount form?

The Axe-Fx II XL+ is the perfect rackmount for 4CM. Many top tier guitarists (Vai, Petrucci, etc) are using the Axe-Fx II (or several) in this configuration. And at least for now, I think it is still made in the US.

If you need amp relay control, add an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo. Rackmount wireless to eliminate one more cable.

MFC or RJM Mastermind for your controller, and you're left with just a single XLR, Ethercon or MIDI cable on the floor.

I guess my concern is that I don't need amp or cab sims. I have a heavily modded tube preamp that gets the sounds I want.
I really do like the FX on my FX-8, but don't want all of the cabling on the floor. I use a custom cable snake with midi,hum-buster, signal, etc. all in one, but it's heavy and about 90' of cable that I want to eliminate from my signal chain.

I've got a few midi relay switchers, just want FX in a rack mount unit that sound as good as my FX-8.

If I were to go with Axe FX, I would have to get the II so that I can use scenes. I change presets (other units, such as Digitech GSP1101) and scenes a lot within songs and delay trails with no drop outs in sound are very important to me.
Not sure I need the newest, latest, greatest, but people seem to want new prices for the older models.......seems like new may be the way to go so I get the warranty as well.

Totally back this. I bought an xl+ just for the effects. It'd be nice to sell the xl+ and only pay for the features I need.

I picked up an XL. I love it, but it's not what I want for 4CM. For starters, I just don't have room for a 2 space unit in my rack.

I'll use the XL for recording or running into my old Rivera S-120.
For my Mesa rig, I think I'll use the FX8 or my trusty old Digitech GSP1101.

If you guys at Fractal are listening, I'll buy a 1 space FX only processor if you make one!

I sorta agree. If it wasn't merely Fx2 ports...
I mean the only reason right now the fx8 sits unused is that the treble booster isn't ported.
I couldn't care less if there is a PRS amp or bass pre peda coming for my axe2.
IMO there's a lot more work to be done in delays...can't get closed to 42, chorus...nothing like a Tri, and still no SD9.
Yet everyone wants what's in Helix. Well..

The FX8 doesn't have the Treb Boost type in the Drive Block? That would be surprising.

What parameter(s) would you like to see added to the Delay block? It has everything the PCM42 had on the front panel.

My bad Shimmer Drive is what I'm talking about.

As for the 42 it would need a new drive block that reacts like a cranked 42.
I'm okay using other stuff for this instead.
But the endless amp updates, to me it's a fx processor not an amp modeller, that's why I dig the FX even though it can't do some of the more elaborate fx2 things.

For me the most important thing is quality of effects. I have classic setup with amp, cabinet, some effects in front of amp and digital effects processor in effects loop (TC G-Force).

I know that Axe-FX 2 (XL+) would perfect works as effects processor, but there are some things...

As far as I know, Axe-fx 2(XL+) is not as perfect in 4cm as FX8. Mr. Vai or Petrucci don't use it in 4cm, but only in effects loop of amps.
Size: for me better is 1U size rack device. I don't need very big (colour) LCD display.
Price: of course. If FX8 can be chipper than Axe.. than rack device similar to FX8 may be even chipper.

If my wishes could be true, I would like rack device with 1U size (not so deep as Axe-Fx) and
not amp and cab simulations, not necessary relays,
with all ins and outs on rear panel (maybe with duplicated guitar in / before preamp effects on front and rear panel), with usb on front panel,
working in 4cm like FX8 (with true bypass for 'in front of amp' effects) and overall quality of Afe-Fx...

Yes, It would be looking like Fractal FX8 inside of TC G-force case.
I hope that someday Fractal make it for us :)

As far as I know, Axe-fx 2(XL+) is not as perfect in 4cm as FX8.
The XL+ doesn't have the dry-contact switching or the MIDI output that the FX8 has, but sonically, it's every bit as good as the FX8 in 4CM.

Back
Top Bottom