FW numbering system

It's sad to see that you can't even ask a simple question here without being jumped and made fun of with replies like "Why do you care?" and "Just enjoy your Axe, man..".
Perhaps he's just curious? Why is he being questioned for being curious? ...

So I will take it seriously.

What do you gain? The point here is that everyone wants to know what's coming before it drops. So if you know that it's firmware 210.34.98, then you KNOW exactly what it will contain, and will proceed to post mercilessly about how you need it 'NOW'. The numbering system means close to nothing, and I doubt Cliff (or even most software developers) really put a huge amount of thought into it. We get enough teasers and information about what's going to happen; so the expectation that anyones version of OCD proclaims that the numbering system follow some rigid scientific method is frankly ludicrous.

Although I don't neccessarily agree/disagree with anyone of you. Wouldn't just be simplier if FAS posted the release notes along with the download link, it's there when you download it. But end-user may be at work or whatever, but still interested knowing what's going on.

Most people try to post the release notes in the 1st few posts, but it's in the FW zip since, well, forever.

Either way, we're off to the lounge on this one as it's more comedic than informational...

R

So I will take it seriously.

What do you gain? The point here is that everyone wants to know what's coming before it drops. So if you know that it's firmware 210.34.98, then you KNOW exactly what it will contain, and will proceed to post mercilessly about how you need it 'NOW'. The numbering system means close to nothing, and I doubt Cliff (or even most software developers) really put a huge amount of thought into it. We get enough teasers and information about what's going to happen; so the expectation that anyones version of OCD proclaims that the numbering system follow some rigid scientific method is frankly ludicrous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see the OP "proclaim" anything of the sort? He just asked how the numbering system worked.
It may be "unimportant information" to some, but I don't think it's an invalid question like many in this thread seems to think.

Now that 7.01 has been designated to be 8.0 instead, where is the tipping point where the integer is changed versus the FRACTAL (pun intended) after the decimal point?

Either way, we're off to the lounge on this one as it's more comedic than informational...

So then you didn't take it seriously after all? :p

Yeah... and arguing how another company uses update version numbers is a smart use of everyone's time. It just seems silly to me. As silly as your reply

Again, he didn't argue at all. Seriously, have you taken some sort of pill or something that makes you read things that aren't there?
He just asked how Fractal decides when it's a point-release or when it's a full new version. Where's the argue? Please point that out for me.

And what "everyone's time"? It's they who take the time to post pointless replies and make fun of him. Haven't we left the playground 20 years ago?
The thing I'm having trouble grasping is.. even if it is a "pointless thread", why are people making fun of him? If it was a newcomer, would you do the same? Is that how you treat people in real life too? Make fun of people because they make something that is in your eyes a mistake or pointless? Even if it's a silly thing to ask, I think it's his right to ask whatever the hell he wants, as we all should be.

If you always just make fun of people for asking "the wrong things", then pretty soon no one will post here anymore except for the oldies, and that's how you kill a community forum as it would be the beginning of the end of this forum. Just treat him with some respect, even if he asks something funny or pointless or silly or whatever. And you will probably reply with that I don't show people respect either but I do respect other people. I just don't respect people who bully and put down other people for any reason.

I don't think people are making fun of the OP. It's just that the bickering (from other guys than the OP) about what decimals a FW release should have just seems.. well... pointless.

I could see a disadvantage of an over-enthusiastic FW numbering system in that people know the Axe-Fx Ultra's development haulted at FW 11.0, and going straight from 7 to 8 makes it seem like the Axe II's FW 11.0 is faster approaching, which people have kind of internalized as the Axe-Fx's maturity firmware number.

It's firmware, not the Mayan calendar. :lol

Back
Top Bottom