FW numbering system

This is so great. I can't tell if this thread was made completely for sarcasm, or if some are really serious. It's hilarious either way.

....my turn......
....And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith Cliff, that many false prophets shall arise and prophesy, "Modelers! Modelers!" but nay, verily, shall there be any modelers in the land, for the Fractal King of the northeast has overwhelmed the land, and its inhabitants have taken his number, so that no other modelers be bought or sold to the children of men.

Simple, whatever the majority is using is two versions behind what Cliff is tinkering with, and four behind what he is hearing in his head .......

The numbering bit is right up there with people who let the eight ball bother them. Next we'll have a poll asking about what number the FW should be next.

In any software release it *usually* works like:

- X.00 is a major release. Revamp and/or fundamental change to the software
- 0.X0 Minor changes to the software (additional features and/or options)
- 0.0X Bug fixes and improvements.

Generally.

In FAS any even order software release contain only even harmonics. Guitarists say it's "mojo tone". :lol

This would benefit you how exactly? Don't be *too* hurt, but I've heard very many silly things to worry about, and this one is up there...

Simple. The numbering scheme can help distinguish if the update is just a minor bug fix or a major update. This way you don't have to necessarily read the release notes (which if I remember correctly are not quickly accessible from the Fractal website) but can gauge if you should update now or when for example your gig schedule allows and if it will possibly change how your patches sound.

Simple. The numbering scheme can help distinguish if the update is just a minor bug fix or a major update. This way you don't have to necessarily read the release notes (which if I remember correctly are not quickly accessible from the Fractal website) but can gauge if you should update now or when for example your gig schedule allows and if it will possibly change how your patches sound.

Although I don't neccessarily agree/disagree with anyone of you. Wouldn't just be simplier if FAS posted the release notes along with the download link, it's there when you download it. But end-user may be at work or whatever, but still interested knowing what's going on. Now forum people usually takes care of this anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. But then they can use whatever numbering system they want, I guess it's there for their traceabilities not ours... just IMHO.

I'd still like to see the FW get names as was discussed a while back. "The Mustard Sandwich version sounds so much better than the Astroglide version".

It's sad to see that you can't even ask a simple question here without being jumped and made fun of with replies like "Why do you care?" and "Just enjoy your Axe, man..".
Perhaps he's just curious? Why is he being questioned for being curious? ...

Cliff said in the V8 thread something like this. Version numbers change integers when the firmware changes the basic sound of presets which the presence reworking (and I'd guess the PI reworking) does.

Now back to comedy.

Please dont stop this thread. This is the funniest thing i read in quite a while.

Edit: FW8 done loading. Ill be back next year woooooosh :) Thx FAS

x.x.1 - bug fix
x.1.0 - minor firmware revision adds cool new functionality to existing features
1.x.x - major revision which is incompatible with Axe Edit, causes you to re-tweak your favorite patches and may completely hose TMA based presets.

I could see a disadvantage of an over-enthusiastic FW numbering system in that people know the Axe-Fx Ultra's development haulted at FW 11.0, and going straight from 7 to 8 makes it seem like the Axe II's FW 11.0 is faster approaching, which people have kind of internalized as the Axe-Fx's maturity firmware number.

Of course, it's all arbitrary and the Axe-Fx II's "mature" firmware could end up being anything from 8.0 to, I don't know, FW 78.3. But still, it's something people might think about, and because of that, could hold off on buying an Axe-Fx II because hey, with the FW numbers getting so high, who knows, maybe there's an Axe-Fx III on the horizon somewhere we should hold out for.

They could name it Kitty.Smashed.Carcass for all I care.

squizgar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom