FW 8.00 Noise Issue

rrhoads17

Inspired
Has anyone had a noise issue since they updated to the new FW? I get really bad background noise on high gain stuff and even some clean stuff. I never had this issue before. I have tried multiple cables and guitars.

As always, finding a problem is a process of elimination.
The fist place I'd start is to set a preset with only, input 1 block straight through to output 1 block....any noise?

Then add one block at a time to see if you can isolate the problem.

I haven't had any problems with 8.00, though I rarely use high gain stuff.

So with a straight through preset you're saying you've got noise that you didn't have before the new firmware? If this is the case I'd plug guitar/s and cables into something other than the AxeFX to eliminate them first.

Can you post a preset?

It must be something with my electrical outlets in my new apartment. I tried plugging into an interface and playing through guitar rig 5 and some issue, tried diff cables and guitars. I don't know what to do if it's the electrical outlets.

I'd do what Fractals has suggested, go back to previous firmware first. If it's still there, that eliminates firmware issue.

Also turn off any utilities using power at home that may be turned on. It's hard to tell if it's a gound issue or EFI or both without hearing the noise.

EDIT: Also, what are you monitoring through? Have you checked those cables too?

Last edited:
I've noticed background noise too, at a higher level. It's visible in the input meter in Axe-Edit III. I thought maybe it was environmental, but it happens at church and at home.

I now hear noise on input 3 on quiet material. I use it as a music source out to NF/MF desk monitors.

Very strange. Have not really time to track it down and isolated it absolutely.

But it is there and I don’t believe it was previously; unless the gain has really jumped up?

I have a low level high frequency noise on the left 1 output, which appears to be coming from my Fryette D60 More amp block 1, which is panned hard left. I moved the block to the right output side of my preset and it did the same thing on the right side, when I bypass it, either mute or through, the sound goes away.

Also, on powering up and using Axe edit, when bypassing or turning on amp block 1, it makes an audible pop and causes the pitch of the noise to waver. As the unit warms up and I bypass/turn on amp block 1, the pop and pitch waver of the noise goes away and the noise stays steady and continuous...

Yes. I use the Axe as a mastering soundcard for my Youtube stuff as well as the ultimate tone generator for my wood and wire. I can agree that there's something odd in the noise dept. but I cannot put my finger on it yet. When I track I can hear it (Logic) but if I switch to my PreSonus Quantum for playback and bounce, that noise is gone. So I have to assume that it's a Fractal anomaly. Kind of a digital high frequency artefact thing.

Firmware cannot add or remove noise. Anyone having noise problems needs to look elsewhere in their system. For example, the previous post indicates that noise isn't coming from the Axe-Fx since it didn't get recorded. Think about it a bit. If you record something and then play it back and the noise isn't there then noise wasn't recorded so it isn't originating in the Axe-Fx which was the source.

Firmware cannot add or remove noise. ...
Yep. Got it, and thank you for chipping in, Cliff. Makes perfect sense. I think my response was coincidental in that I'm having some odd noise issues and then I saw this thread which triggered my rant above. I shall continue to trace... Cheers.

Nothing changed in my studio environment other than firmware 8, yet I'd swear that the noise floor is higher on some presets. Specifically, JVM OD1. I've had to bump up the gate threshold to tamp it back down. Same guitar, same wireless, same sitting position in the room, etc., just playing and listening through my studio monitors. Nothing added to chain. Guitar > Line6 G10 > FX III. Different weather I guess......
Is it possible that the enhancements made to modeling may have brought out this side effect for that amp model?

Back
Top Bottom