FW 16 Bass Presets

indeloon85

Inspired
So I've geeked out hard with the new FW, and moved onto laying some bass down, which brings me to my question. Has anyone checked out their bass presets with the new FW? Wow! I kinda stopped using the AXE for Bass but figured I would revisit it with all this talk of "knock" and "thunk" (which is what I felt the bass was kinda lacking when plugging into the axe fx). I highly recommend it if you haven't yet. It seems to have given it quite a bit of girth! Would love to hear what you guys think.

which bass presets are talking about? did something change to the bass amps specifically?

I think OP was talking about presets us bass players have made - there still are none included from FAS. I haven't yet dug into v16 too much, so I can't say whether or not it's made a change for me.

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I meant in the bass presets that you have already built on. They just seem to have a bit more chunk to them. Not an insane amount, but just that bit more that makes the bass gear more punchy and (to me) more usable in mixes.

My bass presets are downright clinically obese with this new firmware.

I love what happened to the amp component interaction.

It really pushes air now.

In 100% agreement here. I pulled up my main bass preset. I'm too lazy to post a recording tonight. The highs ring like a bell, and the low end is extremely articulate now. I can really hit the strings hard without the low end getting fuzzy, which was a problem before. One damned firmware update. Boom. Problems solved. Nice work Team Fractal.

I can honestly hear no difference between my 15.08 and 16.00. No recordings to verify, but in the studio and in the jam room, no difference that I can pick out. If I go in and tweak some of the new parameters yeah, things change, but before that nope.

I can honestly hear no difference between my 15.08 and 16.00. No recordings to verify, but in the studio and in the jam room, no difference that I can pick out. If I go in and tweak some of the new parameters yeah, things change, but before that nope.

15.08 had most of the changes that are in 16.00. Where you got 15.08, however, is the question as that was only released as a beta to the beta testers. I hope one of our beta testers isn't violating their NDA.

Er, sorry, 15.07. I knew 15.08 sounded odd in my head, but my hands decided to type it anyway. Sorry for the confusion.

Probably more that I should sit down and listen to my instrument without about 11 other instruments/voices going at the same time. Or just use my IEMs at next rehearsal... Some day hopefully soon I'll get time to do a true demo and take a recording of FW16 and compare to some 15.07 rough takes I have laying around :).

Edit to add: I do know violin sounds much, much improved with this FW over 15.07. But that's beyond the scope of the OP :p

I spent some time playing bass through the AxeII today (f/w 16.0) and something has changed - for the better. The low end just sounds more... right. Not very descriptive, I know, but up until now I have consistently preferred playing through my Markbass 1x15 combo - at any volume. Today is the first time I've played bass through the AxeII/CLR's rig and enjoyed it as much as or more than my analog rig. It sounded and felt amazing! Tried several of the bass amp models and bass cab IR's, all with excellent results. Very cool!

I have yet to try playing bass into the AxeFXII through the CLR's at anything near gigging or rehearsal levels though. Not sure how far to push them with bass.

I would personally love more bass discussion in overall here. A whole new main topic in the forum regions would kick ass. "Axe-FX II Bass discussion" "Axe-FX II preset exhange" etc. etc. etc...
It could courage people to share more of their intel and discuss more about bass stuff :)

Hey Selta, try re-amping a dry DI'd track to both FW15.7 and FW16 and then compare those in the mix. I guarantee you'll hear/feel the change, for the better! The difference isn't HUGE to my ears, but at this point how much better can it get! Even the subtle improvements are incredible.
Awesome update!!

I would personally love more bass discussion in overall here. A whole new main topic in the forum regions would kick ass. "Axe-FX II Bass discussion" "Axe-FX II preset exhange" etc. etc. etc...
It could courage people to share more of their intel and discuss more about bass stuff :)
While I do very much appreciate your snide remarks, there are several key factors at play:
1) FAS isn't marketed towards bass players at all, and "out of the box" is not exactly the best experience for us bassists - there isn't a single preset at all geared toward bass players. Each of us essentially needs to start from scratch, or other community presets instead of being able to have a useable tool from the time we first plug it in.
2) Which leads to no many bass players using the Axe - which then leads to not many bass players on the forums. I don't believe there are enough of us here to warrant the already-present sub-forums. There just isn't enough traffic there at all. The last thread that was started is a week stale, and not even a bass specific topic.
3) The traffic on these other sub-forums is much higher, so these threads get much more exposure there, and conversation actually happens.

With all of that said, I look forward to the day that FAS throws us a bit more of a bone, and that more bass players get on board with this. As a whole, we bassists are extremely open to new concepts, tossing out the old and bringing in something new and exciting (which the Axe totally is). As pointed out, I began that thread on TalkBass.com, which is the largest online community at present for bassists (electric and upright). Just by starting that thread I've engaged a massive amount of people, and have had a flood of PMs asking for more info, help, demo opportunities and so on. The interest is most certainly there. I seriously contend that if 25 factor presets, a B7K, and a bit of marketing focus were all done, you'd see more bass players coming around to this thing. This is especially true with the FX8 around the corner - right now, the champion multi-FX box that bass players go to is the Line6 M13. Knowing FAS and the Axe as I do, I know the FX8 will blow that thing out of the water, but most bass players won't even know it is an option.

Hey Selta, try re-amping a dry DI'd track to both FW15.7 and FW16 and then compare those in the mix. I guarantee you'll hear/feel the change, for the better! The difference isn't HUGE to my ears, but at this point how much better can it get! Even the subtle improvements are incredible.
Awesome update!!
Yeah, I definitely plan on doing things like this. The main issue I'm fighting right now is just time. The change wasn't obvious in a band setting, but honestly, it's hard to pick out minor changes in our setting. I'm sure it's there as others are saying it is, but I haven't had a chance to pick up my bass alone in a way to try it out and critically listen. Re-amping sounds like a great idea... maybe I can carve out an hour or two this weekend or next to give that a whirl.
Like I said before, I know this change is great for violin - that was almost a night and day difference with the same preset. When I drove through a couple of my high-gain guitar presets as well, those were pretty obvious changes, though not near the extent that things helped with violin.
I always welcome improvement, even if I'm not in an immediate situation to appreciate them :). I'm just playing too much to sit down and really tweak and listen to my own instrument in a solo "practice" type situation. Either that, or I have terrible ears!

Back
Top Bottom