FW 12.02 Parallel Delay Level -80db

barhrecords

Axe-Master
The attached preset has a delay block with mix 100% level -80db.

The block is in parallel with the main line in the grid.

I still hear the delay with level at -80db.

I thought -80db on the level would make the delay inaudible or at least very low in the mix?

I'm not trying to turn of the delay using level. I'm trying to use level for the amount of delay.

I can't get the blend I want using mix 100 and level as the blend.

Richard

Attachments

• Jumped Plexi SC barH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm not sure what was with it. It had the problem the first time but I reimported it and it worked normally.

With or without AE connected?

The first time I imported it (in Axe-edit), I turned down the levels and it did not reduce the levels. I bypassed it an I could still hear the delay. I deleted the delay and readded it and it worked normally.
I went to another preset, imported it again and did not have the same issue. I can not recreate this again. It works normally.

you might have better results if you use input gain instead of level

I'll have a go with that. Thanks.

If I put the delay in series and kick in the drive block, I can hear the delay clearly with mix set to 1% also.

It's intermittent for me too Java. And yes, all using AE 3.0.3 Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64.

I loaded the preset, and Delay Level was at -14.6. When I turned it down to -80 there was no delay audible. With and without AE connected.

I loaded the preset, and Delay Level was at -14.6. When I turned it down to -80 there was no delay audible. With and without AE connected.

Strange

It might just be something with AE? I started with factory preset 76 but used AE to drag blocks all around to different spots in the grid.

Yep that is what I got. I think when I first load it, I may have had some communication problems with axeedit. I cannot recreate the issue. When at -80 db the delay is just barely audible.

Or maybe it's the Mono Tape delay type? I recall that one having random minor issues with spillover some time ago.

If I put the delay in series and kick in the drive block, I can hear the delay clearly with mix set to 1% also.

I also feel that the (digital mono) delay in series in the lower settings like 1-3% is already quit loud. Whereas in the higher mix range like 30-50% mix range I don't perceive really that much difference in level between 30 or 50%. 30% mix feels to me like what 50% should normally be whereas with 50% mix the repeats feel a bit louder than the dry signal. Hope this makes sense? It a bit hard too set subtle delay levels because of that.

that's the new delay mix law in operation

mix and level are not linear, so for fine control it can be quite tricky in certain ranges

use input gain instead. it's linear. stick the delay in parallel if you can at 100% mix

i'll say that again

use input gain

in italics

use input gain

and bold

use input gain

and with a smiley emoticon

use input gain :)

that's the new delay mix law in operation

mix and level are not linear, so for fine control it can be quite tricky in certain ranges

Yes I know. I start noticing this with the new mix law. Still I think it is strange that with 50% mix the delay repeats are louder than the dry signal when used in series. Normally I set the mix to 30% if I want the same dry/wet level when using delay in series. Guess I am still not used to/convinced about the new mix law.

Last edited:
"Strange" ....

There we go again.... ;)
It isn't strange. When you get near 50% the "wet" signal level (repeats) approaches the dry signal. Because of the summing this increases the overall signal level.
To avoid this, move the block to a parallel row.

Will you attend the Dutch Axe-Fest tomorrow?

"Strange" ....

There we go again.... ;)
It isn't strange. When you get near 50% the "wet" signal level (repeats) approaches the dry signal. Because of the summing this increases the overall signal level.
To avoid this, move the block to a parallel row.

Will you attend the Dutch Axe-Fest tomorrow?

Yes I know I am repeating myself. I knew you where going to say this! :). For me the new mix law is just counter intuitive when using in series. Sometimes I use parallel delay as well but also in parallel I feel that setting mix to 100% and input gain at 100% (delay level 0db) results in louder repeats then dry signal.

Have a gig tomorrow so unfortunately I can't be at the Axe fest. Have fun!

Yes I know I am repeating myself. I knew you where going to say this! :). For me the new mix law is just counter intuitive when using in series. Sometimes I use parallel delay as well but also in parallel I feel that setting mix to 100% and input gain at 100% (delay level 0db) results in louder repeats then dry signal.

Have a gig tomorrow so unfortunately I can't be at the Axe fest. Have fun!

Haha :)

BTW, I agree that a low Mix setting, such as 3%, in series results in (too) loud repeats.

Parallel: yes, that's how it's supposed to be. Just use Input Gain (with Level at 0) or Level (with Input Gain at 100) to dial in the desired loudness of the repeats.

Parallel: yes, that's how it's supposed to be. Just use Input Gain (with Level at 0) or Level (with Input Gain at 100) to dial in the desired loudness of the repeats.

So would 50% input gain (delay level 0db) when using delay in parallel result in exact the same volume of the repeats as the dry signal? or what settings should I use with parallel delay if I want the repeats to be at exactly the same volume as the dry signal?

Back
Top Bottom