Fryette LXII

I went to Fryette Amplifier Design today and saw this prototype LX II unit with my own eyes and photographed it with my own iPhone! This is one sexy beast.

So did you ask Steve what's up with delivery of this amp? I Mean even his website says that's it going to start delivering summer of 2016...

So did you ask Steve what's up with delivery of this amp? I Mean even his website says that's it going to start delivering summer of 2016...
I asked him and he walked me over to his workspace where he showed me the pictured unit. He told me soon, and I asked him if he had a time frame I could quote here, but he asked me not to quote anything. The unit was sitting right in front of him on his workbench, and whenever he does this, it always means that he's working on it and getting the unit ready for production. Also, the LX II is not as much as a one-off concept project as the GP/DI (that took a long time!) and I think the LX II will probably be built to ultimate build spec with a fresh perspective, but he's previously built the LX II and the 2/90/2 and he's familiar with these units and similar stereo tube amps, so my guess is a lot sooner than later. The Sound City line and Power Station ate up a lot of Steve's oxygen, and I suspect were partially responsible for pushing back the release of the LX II.

Last edited:
Latest email I received from Fryette -

"The LXII is in production now. Shipping the first units will probably take 6 weeks or so, but we’re that close."

Reactions: yek
Given that it's been mentioned some serious R&D was done to make things work in a 1U format ..... I can't help but wonder if they are capable of operating at 230/240V AC in Europe and similar rated countries without long term reliability problems?

I know I sound like a troll .... but I was seriously excited when it was announced ...... but that was 4 or so years ago to be fair. My Matrix GT1000FX and a play with the new features in Q7.02 might just kill off any remaining interest. I'm also wondering what the trans-atlantic journey might add to the already steep retail USD cost.

Yours sincerely

The Voice Of Doom and Gloom with a half empty cup

Given that it's been mentioned some serious R&D was done to make things work in a 1U format ..... I can't help but wonder if they are capable of operating at 230/240V AC in Europe and similar rated countries without long term reliability problems?

I know I sound like a troll .... but I was seriously excited when it was announced ...... but that was 4 or so years ago to be fair. My Matrix GT1000FX and a play with the new features in Q7.02 might just kill off any remaining interest. I'm also wondering what the trans-atlantic journey might add to the already steep retail USD cost.

Yours sincerely

I don't think you're trolling here.. I've had similar concerns or thoughts about this PA. I know Fryette does killer work, but I would not be an early adopter on this one. I'm hoping all this time for development results in it being near perfect from the start though.

Yours sincerely

Totally agree and defnitely not trolling. Thing was announced originally in 2012. On your sideof the pond I found a couple 1u tube amp makers though....

http://rnramp.com/products/PWR_150
http://www.garlandamps.com/index.php?p=
http://victor-custom.com/

Interesting. Thanks

The Garland one could be worth looking at a bit more as it seems to be of the same nature as the LXII as in it has a 'flat' switch option.

The RnR seems to be just mono only and the Victor while dual mono, is a bit too low on power so there'd likely be too much tube distortion and colour.

Yea the RNR stereo one is 20 watts but they have that 50 watt one. I thought victor has a mono 50 watt too but yea the Garland is the one if it works nicely. Cost, weight, reliability are all somewhat unknown is my problem. I'd be curious the price of the Garland one though. I don't need stereo but I'd like the option.

Fryette posted some info and pictures about the LXII on their FB page last month, and wrote that the delivery date will be announced shortly.

I love the Power Station II. I'm using it with the AX8. Having that as a 1U unit (LXII) will be awesome.

Last edited:
It is astounding how long its taken them. At this point even though the Synergy may not have a "flat" mode its probably a great option. There's probably a good spot to set the Presence and Depth knobs to keep it more neutral. The power station doesn't have a flat mode either and supposedly the presence and depth knobs at 0 are to be more flat. Maybe Synergy has an answer.

It is astounding how long its taken them. At this point even though the Synergy may not have a "flat" mode its probably a great option. There's probably a good spot to set the Presence and Depth knobs to keep it more neutral. The power station doesn't have a flat mode either and supposedly the presence and depth knobs at 0 are to be more flat. Maybe Synergy has an answer.

I think Steve said in that hours-long tone talk YouTube video that the Powerstation's poweramp was basically one half of the LXII, but without the enhance feature.

So if you like the Powerstation you'll probably like the LXII.

Now that Synergy is coming out, and Sound City seems to be in production, maybe he will have the time to finish the LXII.

I don't know how similar the Synergy 50/50 is to other Fryette poweramps, but you're probably right that you may be able to set depth / presence to a 'close enough' setting if 1u form factor is important enough. With my 2/50/2 it was not far off from flat with depth at 0 and presence prett low, like 8:00, though that will depend on what speakers you're using.

I'm considering a full synergy/axe fx setup. Having the best of all worlds really- synergy tube preamps, axe preamps and fx, synergy 50/50. My anti gas mechanism is telling me no though haha. (kids, wife, responsibilities!)

I am looking forward to the LXII. I love my Powestation 2...it just has a good tube spank to it. I like it better than the Matrix GT1000 and I had two of them at different times. I plan to keep the PS2 because it will be great as an attenuator for my real AC-30 so it is a versatile piece of kit.

Fryette posted some info and pictures about the LXII on their FB page last month, and wrote that the delivery date will be announced shortly.

I love the Power Station II. I'm using it with the AX8. Having that as a 1U unit (LXII) will be awesome.

I'm currently using the PS (v1) with the Axe Fx II and a 212 cab. I noticed that I have to use a PEQ/Filter block before the FXL output to balance the direct out (SPDIF) tonally. Any tips and experiences on this?

BTW, only difference between PS II and I is the balanced line in/out right? Not using the reactive load now

Back
Top Bottom