Fryette LXII New Poweramp...Any update about launching date??

Just slugged through the 3 videos.

Looks and sounds interesting. would love to hear some cleans and how much "clean" headroom it has.

None of the tones in the videos represented the type of cleans I want out of an amp (I am sure it has a lot to do with the Amp sims he used).. so hopefully more vids will be coming demonstrating the headroom of the amp.

A 40 watt tube amp might get loud -- but staying loud and clean is another matter.

For example, my old 30 watt Carol Ann OD2R could handle a loud gig and stay clean. My 40 Watt Victoria DD could not. It sounded awesome -- but I had to be real careful with her.

However, he made a pretty damn good argument as to why a modeler will sound better through an amp and a cab vs a FRFR monitor system.

Where is that argument? I've watched hos videos but i can't find the thing

I believe its in the eleven rack video one. I'm waiting for this amp but its not looking good. Would love a tube power amp thats pretty light..... PLEASE FRYETTE!

just saw the update from Fryette facebook:

LXII Low Profile Stereo Power Amp Update:

• Single Rack Space Stereo Tube Power Amp
• 40 WPC, 80W Bridge Mono, four 6L6 power tubes
• Unique Enhanced Mode sweetens the sound of your rig.
• NEW FEATURE: Built-In Valvulator puts a real tube stage in front of your modeler to improve feel and playability.

Yes, we've been a bit quiet about this one - and for good reason. Although already a great design to start with, we found a way to make it even better and more useful. Unfortunately, that has pushed back the production release date. We’re happy to announce that we now have a tentative release date of Spring 2014.

Thanks to all of you who have been waiting so patiently and constantly reminding us that you are out there and anxiously anticipating the release of the LXII.

We promise you won't be disappointed!

I guess this amp will come in super-useful to users of other modellers, but for the axe-fx, well it's just not needed. The Axe-Fx needs a neutral sounding power amp on the end of it, not a valve amp that imparts it's own tone on proceedings. all the tone, be it pre or power can be dialled in. Anybody not getting the right sounds out of it probably just hasn't found those ideal settings yet, so they think a valve power amp is the missing piece of the puzzle. So glad I ditched my VHT when I did. It sounded really nice, but didn't add anything that the Axe-Fx couldn't do all on its own.

There are subtle differences between SS and valve amplification methods that do affect how guitar feels through them, and even the AFX can benefit from it. The most basic is that a valve amp is a current amplifier where as a SS amp is a voltage amplifier. As Watts (power) = Volts x Amps they both give the same rise in power, but do so by amplifying different things. Because of the way a guitar speaker interacts with the amplifier its driving - it benefits from the current amplification method - ie valves - better than voltage. For driving Full range systems that benefit doesnt apply as much.

Its small - BUT for those who think a SS amp gives a more 2 dimensional, or flat result where as a valve amp doesnt --- this is why.

However, the down side is that valve amps almost always colour the tone, which isnt wanted in a modeller. Thats why this Fryette "could" be great. If it really is neutral, or flat response - with 80w mono power to stay clean at high volumes as well as being a current amplification device, it could be the holy grail for amp/cab guys.

Last edited:
sounds great to me in those videos and I'm quite happy with he 2/50/2 with KT-77's in it
A Fryette that is 1U and even flatter with an option to "unflatten it" is an easy choice for me :)

Questions from a VHT 2/90/2 owner thinking about looking into one of these things:

1. Will the LXVII have a fan and if it will, how loud is it compared to the 2/90/2's "low fan speed" mode?
2. How much will it weigh?

From the Fryette Facebook page:

• Single Rack Space Stereo Tube Power Amp
• 40 WPC, 80W Bridge Mono, four 6L6 power tubes
• Unique Enhanced Mode sweetens the sound of your rig.
• NEW FEATURE: Built-In Valvulator puts a real tube stage in front of your modeler to improve feel and playability.

Yes, we've been a bit quiet about this one - and for good reason. Although already a great design to start with, we found a way to make it even better and more useful. Unfortunately, that has pushed back the production release date. We’re happy to announce that we now have a tentative release date of Spring 2014.

Thanks to all of you who have been waiting so patiently and constantly reminding us that you are out there and anxiously anticipating the release of the LXII.

Man, I'll love a shoot-out between this, the Atomic SLR400 and the Matrix power amps.

From the Fryette Facebook page:

<snip>

Man, I'll love a shoot-out between this, the Atomic SLR400 and the Matrix power amps.

How long before the pissing matches between circuit board vs hand-wired PTP tube amps for modeling start? LMAO!! With all the recent advances in the modeling and amplification/speaker tech and everything coming up, five years from now the bickering is going to be EPIC.

Seriously though I've been following this power amp for awhile as i've gradually dipped my toes into FRFR and I can't wait for it to drop. I love the Fryette models in the Axe but have never had a chance to play one in person. Here's to hoping they make their release date! :encouragement:

I guess this amp will come in super-useful to users of other modellers, but for the axe-fx, well it's just not needed. The Axe-Fx needs a neutral sounding power amp on the end of it, not a valve amp that imparts it's own tone on proceedings. all the tone, be it pre or power can be dialled in. Anybody not getting the right sounds out of it probably just hasn't found those ideal settings yet, so they think a valve power amp is the missing piece of the puzzle. So glad I ditched my VHT when I did. It sounded really nice, but didn't add anything that the Axe-Fx couldn't do all on its own.

That's just your opinion. I use a vht 2150 with my axe fx.

Why? Because NOTHING else came close, not even the matrix stuff for me.

IMO tube power and real cabs are the only way to go for authentic sounds. The axe cannot yet create the symbiotic relationship between power amp and speaker . It does not see the load presented. At this point I'm measuring drivers with a woofer tester and setting my speaker values that way. Still not perfect.

I do not use the power amps in the axe. Doubling up on the frequencies is not natural and sounds ultra hyped. Having 150 preamps is amazing to me. Those who think all the high gain preamps sound the same this way have no ear for gain structure or voicing. They all sound considerably different albeit less so than with the power amps included.

It also has me tickled pink that fryette has decided to add a valvulator into the amplifier.

I have been using a cathode follower of some type in front of my axe since the ultra. The complex symbiotic relationship between pickup and first tube grid is wonderfully emulated by the axes front input. Using a cathode follower into the rear input has always sounded better to me. Real tube grid and no special sauce. Real amplifier front end feel because it IS areal.

I will definitely buy one. This is the only way I would use the power amp sims with my axe, with an FRFR power amp. Really excited for axe fx 3 as I think these are some things cliff is already working on. He has mentioned thinking of ways for the axe to be load sensing.

Make note nowhere have I said the I dislike my axe. I love it and sold eight high gain heads after getting it. I am not a fanboy however, everything has it faults and can be improved. It's one of fractals mantra given the firmware is constantly updated.

That's just your opinion. I use a vht 2150 with my axe fx.
The 2150 is a huge monster.

IMO tube power and real cabs are the only way to go for authentic sounds. The axe cannot yet create the symbiotic relationship between power amp and speaker . It does not see the load presented. At this point I'm measuring drivers with a woofer tester and setting my speaker values that way. Still not perfect.

I do not use the power amps in the axe. Doubling up on the frequencies is not natural and sounds ultra hyped.
Yeah, if you are into the amp in room sound, this is the best and easiest way to do it. And yes, it's not recommended to have the power amp sims on when playing through a tube power amp.

It also has me tickled pink that fryette has decided to add a valvulator into the amplifier.
I'm interested in this too.

My only concern is that these will be too cramped and create problems in the long run. Ill still probably buy one as soon as its released. 1U tube power.... Drool

From their Facebook, if anyone hasn't read yet:

"NAMM day two wraps up with unveiling of the Fryette LXII 1RU All Tube 6L6 powered Stereo Power Amplifier. Special thanks to Tri-Tec Precision for helping us make our front panel design a reality in time for the show.

50 WPC Stereo
100W Bridge Mono.
Remote switchable Dual Voice modes:
Enhanced Mode for analog preamps, pedal preamps and slaved heads.
FRFR Mode for modeling applications.
Ultra quiet fan cooled operation.
Weighs just 22 pounds."

Yeah, it was sitting on a pedestal with no power/connections.

Trying to squeeze 6L6s in there would certainly be a challenge. My Mesa 20/20 has EL84s and even those are a pretty tight fit for 1U.

TT

Does anyone know why Fryette doesn't release it? It seems like a huge market for this product.
Deftones was/are using the prototype but there's no updates from fryette.

Back
Top Bottom