Fryette 2/90/2 makes a buzzing sound on power up

Sorenspete

Inspired
I just got this thing on Monday and it sounds great. There's no crackling or popping during operation, however it makes a quick buzz when powering up when the switch is hit.

Funnily enough the previous owner messaged me after I'd taken delivery offering to sell me replacement power tubes 🤨🧐

I will make a video if necessary but keen to see what people make of this...

I had an older vht 2902 and it did the same thing. I checked all voltages and bias current and they were fine. The amp worked like a charm. Those kt88s are great!

I grabbed two sets right when the tube situation got bad. Glad I did because it looks like they are running close to $300 as of today. Ugly
I'm not worried about prices so long as they're actually available. I think I heard some big company was going to start manufacturing tubes - anyone remember which one? Also who makes good KT88's?

I'm not worried about prices so long as they're actually available. I think I heard some big company was going to start manufacturing tubes - anyone remember which one? Also who makes good KT88's?
Western Electric. Seems a long ways out, if it happens at all, according to Steve Fryette.

China is up and running now though and JJ still exists. I can't really recommend a particular brand. Tubes are tubes to me.

Since we have a little 2/90/2 support group going here....How are you guys running yours? I think I like the low power mode with the voicing button out. I haven't really ever been able to crank it on either power setting though. This amp is such ridiculous overkill but just so cool at the same time.

That voicing setting doesn't make sense to me. It's too harsh in the out position.

Since we have a little 2/90/2 support group going here....How are you guys running yours? I think I like the low power mode with the voicing button out. I haven't really ever been able to crank it on either power setting though. This amp is such ridiculous overkill but just so cool at the same time.

That voicing setting doesn't make sense to me. It's too harsh in the out position.
You get more saturation from the 60w mode, yeah. I'm really keen for a MESA or Bogner 4x12 to replace my dry cab, so I think the full power mode would sound godly through one of those. I've played with mine a bit but still need to tweak more. I found I preferred to run quite a bit of presence.

I don't have the 2902 anymore. I had an original one and the enclosure was nearly 16" deep and I didn't have a rack to accommodate it. However, I have a (VHT) 2502 now and run it with JJE34Ls.

Back
Top Bottom