Friedman Launches ASC-12 500-Watt Powered Monitor

It looks like a real backline - very good. Only it weighs 59 pounds....not good for my back. But I love that now they starting to make something good looking.

I do recordings, etc. at home and have my ASM-12 on the floor near my feet, facing up at me. Works perfectly for me. If I were gigging, that new one would be a great addition.

I still think the Friedman FRFR cabs would benefit from two handles on the sides like a G-Flex cab. I used to gig with one of those and was so easy to haul around. Not sure how much tone is affected from something like that but would be a really great addition.

I do recordings, etc. at home and have my ASM-12 on the floor near my feet, facing up at me. Works perfectly for me. If I were gigging, that new one would be a great addition.

I still think the Friedman FRFR cabs would benefit from two handles on the sides like a G-Flex cab. I used to gig with one of those and was so easy to haul around. Not sure how much tone is affected from something like that but would be a really great addition.

For sure, I don't actually use my Axe Fx for home recordings much and using the ASM-12 as a backline hasn't been ideal as there seemingly aren't flight cases in production for it.

Yeah, it would definitely benefit from handles found on the likes of the AC30, since it's a similar size, or even better the G-Flex ones you mentioned.

I have the ASM-12 now, may get this for back line and use the ASM-12 as a monitor. Overkill for sure, but it'll should sound great.

Hi guys,

Just a heads up that these have been in Australia for a few weeks now. I sold my ASM-12 to buy one. They are absolutely fantastic build wise, sound great, and much easier to transport. Using mine with my AX8, sounds every bit as good as the ASM-12 did.

To make transport even easier, I installed some Ernie ball casters on mine. The beauty of the EB casters are that you can easily take off the wheels to get better bass response. I actually only put the wheels on to transport, then take them off once I arrive at a gig or practise then back on before I leave.

Just thought i'd share my experience.

Cheers

Very cool, but I have grown to love the ASM-12 behind me, tilted up. I hate carrying it, but once it is down I am happy. ;)

Hi guys,

Just a heads up that these have been in Australia for a few weeks now. I sold my ASM-12 to buy one. They are absolutely fantastic build wise, sound great, and much easier to transport. Using mine with my AX8, sounds every bit as good as the ASM-12 did.

To make transport even easier, I installed some Ernie ball casters on mine. The beauty of the EB casters are that you can easily take off the wheels to get better bass response. I actually only put the wheels on to transport, then take them off once I arrive at a gig or practise then back on before I leave.

Cheers
Since you used to own the ASM and now own the ASC, how do the two compare sound wise? I'm guessing they should sound identical, or at least similar, but since you have experience with both of them do you have any comments on this?

To be honest I couldn't really tell them apart as far as sound goes. They were both pretty much identical. There might have been maybe a little bit more bottom end on the ASM, but that is negligible.

So yeah, I'd pretty much put them on par sound wise mate.

So glad I brought the ASC though. I'm glad that Friedman listened to the its customers. Just meets my needs more than the awkward ASM.

But that's me.

Hi guys,

Cheers

Hey thanks man! Good to hear it is as good as the ASM-12. You know what the next thing will be, a 4x12. :)

To be honest I couldn't really tell them apart as far as sound goes. They were both pretty much identical. There might have been maybe a little bit more bottom end on the ASM, but that is negligible.

So yeah, I'd pretty much put them on par sound wise mate.

So glad I brought the ASC though. I'm glad that Friedman listened to the its customers. Just meets my needs more than the awkward ASM.

But that's me.
Thank you for your answer! I haven't seen any other person who actually owns the ASC, so your input is appreciated:)

I'm eager to try this. I'm generally not a fan of this type of port seems to contribute to "one note" bass, but it looks like an interesting design.

looks great, i'm sure you could fool people into thinking you're using a Friedman combo amp. The port design concerns me a bit too Matt. I have a question about the 12" Celestion, is it a guitar speaker? Or does it truly provide flat response (in conjunction with the HF horn)? Anyone here know? And I'm with SixString, why not a coaxial setup, 75 degree conical, meh. Nailed it on looks though!

Figures. I used my ASM for so long on the road and got tired of the form factor and bulk. Ended up going with a Matrix FR12 and a Gator rolling rack case. I miss the extra headroom that i did have for noisy nights but the ASM does sound great. Flat or not, if it sounds good, it sounds good.

but does this actually provide a flat response?

No, it doesn't. The Friedman is not a Flat Response speaker, nor does it try to be. If you look at their marketing they are actually talking about being a Full Range speaker built to sound good with guitar modellers such as the Axe Fx, Kemper, Helix, ... If it was, or tried to be, a Flat Response full range speaker - it would sound good with anything. Not just guitar. I have an ASM as well as Atomic CLR, Matrix FR10 and relatively high end studio monitors Adam A5X+Sub8 and it's very obvious that the ASM is not flat compared to either of them. I think that Friedman is definitely doing something to accentuate frequencies that make a guitar sound good so If you're worried about Flat Response I'd say get something else. I haven't tested but it would surprise me if it was anywhere near Full Range either since traditional guitar speakers doesn't really produce any frequencies above about 5k. But if you don't worry about any of that and just want something that sounds good I think the Friedman could be an excellent choice.

Thanks for the detailed insights, very informative! Since it's not a flat response I wouldn't use it to program presets, I doubt they'd translate well to other systems. So do you program via studio monitors then use the Friedman and like the sound or do you have to make further adjustments?

Back
Top Bottom