Friedman amps in AXEFX3 vs Helix

Thanks for the insights!
Gotta take the FAS amps for a spin somewhere down the lane.
I like the cameron ccv a lot but am also tinkering with the HBE C45 these days. With sat switch engaged and aggressive low cut it sounds good in my ears (I am using it with a 27" baritone tuned to Bb though, I don't know what your musical endeavors call for).
Anyway, I hope you find that sound you are looking for eventually!
My god man your home must excavate itself when you chug😁 Sounds heavy

The axefx is the interface, daw is your recording software.
Yeah I read up on that. I've been looking at reaper, and a few free ones. Some silly stuff occurs when I attempt to load software though. I have a practical knowledge of my windows 10, but as you said, need to phone a more savvy friend.

The axefx is the interface, daw is your recording software.
Yeah I read up on that. I've been looking at reaper, and a few free ones
The BE model in the Axe can be a beast when you raise the master volume to 7 or above and change the tonestack to Plexi.
Interesting! I have done similar on the FAS crunch..I changed the tone stack to CAE3 ..it sounds just like the amp used on early Green Day/ Rancid records. Like, scary close to that "dookie" mod.

Yeah I read up on that. I've been looking at reaper, and a few free ones

Interesting! I have done similar on the FAS crunch..I changed the tone stack to CAE3 ..it sounds just like the amp used on early Green Day/ Rancid records. Like, scary close to that "dookie" mod.
Yeah it does make the BE more raw, more open and angry.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the BE100 design has changed over the years. Dave is constantly fiddling with things.

The original "Marsha" (which became the BE100 after the cease-and-desist) had the Gain control after the second stage. Later versions have the gain control after the third stage so even if you turn the gain down you may still get some distortion.

There were also numerous changes to component values, feedback tap, etc., etc. Our models are authentic recreations of the two particular versions we have. Whether those versions match your particular version is unknown.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the BE100 design has changed over the years. Dave is constantly fiddling with things.

The original "Marsha" (which became the BE100 after the cease-and-desist) had the Gain control after the second stage. Later versions have the gain control after the third stage so even if you turn the gain down you may still get some distortion.

There were also numerous changes to component values, feedback tap, etc., etc. Our models are authentic recreations of the two particular versions we have. Whether those versions match your particular version is unknown.

Good to see you posting again! Sorry about the crap you dealt with.

There’s really no single answer. Nothing sounds 100% the same but my favourite replacement has been the FAS Modern I and II. The Modern I is the most similar to the HBE C45 but is more compressed. The Modern II takes it into a more, well, modern direction. But a closer Marshall-y replacement is the JVM OD1 Orange and OD2 Orange. OD1 is perfect for everything and OD2 is more scooped and modern sounding. I tried the Splawns and the Atomica High and didn’t quite gel with them as much but the Splawn Nitro 1 did sound pretty cool with the treble and presence cranked to 9. Anyway, long story short, there’s no 1:1 replacement for the Ares HBE C45, but the Modern 1 and JVM OD1 Orange make for great alternatives.
I totally agree with you, as 2018 HBE C45 was my main amp model in AX8 for years.
If you want to get as close as possible (or even further), do this :

• cameron ccv 2C (not 2D not 2A, it´s important)
  • lower the gain from 5 to 3 (gain in this model is for adjusting FEEL, not amount of gain)
  • set treble to 6, presence to 3, master level 7, level -3db
  • set input trim from 0.65 to 0.80 for hot pickups or 0.80 to 1 for paf style pickups
  • set low cut in the input eq inside amp block from 50 to 70 hz
  • set speaker impedance curve to either friedman or fractal loadbox UK
  • load YA FDMN M25 PX ir, no low or hi cuts are needed

you will have this exact tone, I promise. I spent with this amp model hundreds of hours and had almost all big friedman amps and was quite frustrated with friedman in cygnus,

Enjoy !

Last edited:
let us know, once you’ll try it :)
So I spent a couple of hours with the CCV 2c just now and it's frickin' awesome! It has that kerrang that plexis have and yet sounds heavy as hell. I even A/B'd a couple of tracks with the Ares HBE C45 2018 and I could get them sounding really close. But I think it "feels" more Marshall-esque than the Friedman, so even though they sound quite similar in some settings, there is something very different in the way they feel under the hands. In fact, to be honest, it's closer to the JVM OD2 Orange. It's nearly identical to the JVM (at least the way I have both amps set up) and I was kinda hard pressed to point out the difference between the two in an A/B. I was surprised it had MORE noise than the JVM! But yes, loved the amp. It's beaten the Splawn Nitrous in my book. Thanks for the amazing suggestion!

curious to know how you set up jvm. when I tried it, I didn’t like it, but ccv is my no1 amp model, so it’s interesting. :)
So I spent a couple of hours with the CCV 2c just now and it's frickin' awesome! It has that kerrang that plexis have and yet sounds heavy as hell. I even A/B'd a couple of tracks with the Ares HBE C45 2018 and I could get them sounding really close. But I think it "feels" more Marshall-esque than the Friedman, so even though they sound quite similar in some settings, there is something very different in the way they feel under the hands. In fact, to be honest, it's closer to the JVM OD2 Orange. It's nearly identical to the JVM (at least the way I have both amps set up) and I was kinda hard pressed to point out the difference between the two in an A/B. I was surprised it had MORE noise than the JVM! But yes, loved the amp. It's beaten the Splawn Nitrous in my book. Thanks for the amazing suggestion!

I totally agree with you, as 2018 HBE C45 was my main amp model in AX8 for years.
If you want to get as close as possible (or even further), do this :

• cameron ccv 2C (not 2D not 2A, it´s important)
  • lower the gain from 5 to 3 (gain in this model is for adjusting FEEL, not amount of gain)
  • set treble to 6, presence to 3, master level 7, level -3db
  • set input trim from 0.65 to 0.80 for hot pickups or 0.80 to 1 for paf style pickups
  • set low cut in the input eq inside amp block from 50 to 70 hz
  • set speaker impedance curve to either friedman or fractal loadbox UK
  • load YA FDMN M25 PX ir, no low or hi cuts are needed

you will have this exact tone, I promise. I spent with this amp model hundreds of hours and had almost all big friedman amps and was quite frustrated with friedman in cygnus,

Enjoy !

Tried this today and I loved the result. I ended up making a Dynacab with the Friedman GB. Thanks for the tips!!!

Hey guys, semi-new AFX3 mk2 owner for a couple of months. I also own a Helix Lt. Since I'm an audiophile, I love tweaking and turning knobs, and learning with my ears along the way. I've been on a Jerry Cantrell tone chase this past few weeks, and finally auditioned some of the Friedman models in the Axe FX 3. My only prior knowledge comes from the "Placater" model in my Helix. Not nearly as much options, but it dawned on me..why does Helix have the "fat", "C45","HBE", and "saturation" switches modeled in the amp block, but in AXEFX3, Cliff seems to need a selection of different versions of the amp with those switches on/off? Wasn't really impressed with the Friedmans so far. And I KNOW it's HIGHLY likely that's on me. AxeFX 3 has been many times better than my Helix right out of the box, sans two amps I like better on the Helix. Those amps are the Dual Rectifier, and the Friedman. I ALMOST sold my Helix, but those 2 amps, and the fact I spent HOURS of work/time creating and tweaking a few dozen presets to actually sound good, I'm not gonna just sell that hard work away. The AFX3 has been literally the opposite ( with the exception of this special case) Any bigger nerds than me that can tell me what I don't know? Cantrell fans with any suggestions on amps to blend would help as well. ( Bogner Shiva with a Friedman? I love amp blending) Thanks in advance guys.
That's just the way the Fractal modeling paradigm works.

Sounds really, really familiar for some reason... ;)

I know what they say about imitation and flattery but this is a little creepy.

Given its the only post, yep.
die sci-fi GIF
AI has finally seeped its way into the forum.

Back
Top Bottom