FRFR Upgrade

I had a couple of Headrush 108's a couple of years back. I was just getting into the FRFR thing and then I started to go down the rabbit hole a little. And still am to be honest. I was going between the Headrush wedges and using my Boogie 1x12 cab along with a Matrix power amp. I then decided to go full FRFR and sold one of the HR's.

I then got a Matrix FR12 Passive cab I would use with the Matrix and that sounded really good. I ended up selling the other HR I had and kept the Matrix for a while. Shortly after getting the FM3 I was on the hunt for a portable power amp to use with the Matrix cab and had the Powerstage 170 and the 200. I never really got on with those so I ended up selling the 170 and buying the 200 and then eventually returning the 200.

After that I decided to stupidly sell the Matrix cab and power amp and just use cabs with a built in power amp. I bought a couple of Friedman ASC10's which were also very good but a little dark sounding. I ended up selling those a few months later when the Red Sound Elis 8's were announced and bought a stereo bundle of those. And then eventually I bought the MF10 stereo bundle after that as I was blown away by the Elis 8's. They do sound really good!

This week though I ended up selling off a few pieces of gear and I've bought a Mission Gemini 1 powered cab. I was gonna get a passive Gemini 2 to use with the Matrix GT1000 (Which I've bought again lol) but the size and weight put me off so I went with the Gemini 1.I thought when the FM9 finally turns up in Europe I don't want to have a separate power amp for it unless I'm using my Axe and have my rack with me. So a powered cab is the way to go. Do I really need the Matrix now? Probably lol when I end up buying a Gemini 1 passive cab lol.

So far so good, I've only had it a couple of days and plan to play through it some more this weekend. But it's definitely more cab like compared to the Red Sounds. And the size is definitely big enough.

The answer to your question is yes they do make a difference, paying more for a decent FRFR will definitely sound a lot better. Well that's my opinion anyway!

Hope that helps!
I’m curious to hear how that powered Gemini 1 cab is treating you? I’m in the market for one. Especially compared to using a matrix power amp with a regular guitar cab?

I’m curious to hear how that powered Gemini 1 cab is treating you? I’m in the market for one. Especially compared to using a matrix power amp with a regular guitar cab?
I'm really liking it I must say. I put some castors on the bottom the other day and its raised it up off the floor a little and it seems to have got rid of some horrible low end I was experiencing. I think that was from my wooden flooring at home.

I had the JP2C Red model going through it the other day and it sounded glorious! If you'd closed your eyes you'd swear to was an actual Boogie in the room. It's crazy. I'm gonna be using it for a big gig next weekend so I'm really excited to see how it sounds with the castors on this time. I might take the Axe out for a run instead of the FM3 this time.

I'd like to try one of the passive Mission cabs with my Matrix and see what that sounds like. That's probably gonna be the next purchase. Maybe the Gemini 2 instead of the 1 this time. I've not decided yet. I'm gonna get my Boogie 1x12 out either today or tomorrow and compare that with the Mission. It should be interesting to hear the differences.

I've been through more than a few FRFR options, I have since landed on a pair of Accugroove Latte's and they sound amazing to me. They are only 29.5 lbs, loud as hell and the sound, like I said is amazing.

I'm really liking it I must say. I put some castors on the bottom the other day and its raised it up off the floor a little and it seems to have got rid of some horrible low end I was experiencing. I think that was from my wooden flooring at home.

I had the JP2C Red model going through it the other day and it sounded glorious! If you'd closed your eyes you'd swear to was an actual Boogie in the room. It's crazy. I'm gonna be using it for a big gig next weekend so I'm really excited to see how it sounds with the castors on this time. I might take the Axe out for a run instead of the FM3 this time.

I'd like to try one of the passive Mission cabs with my Matrix and see what that sounds like. That's probably gonna be the next purchase. Maybe the Gemini 2 instead of the 1 this time. I've not decided yet. I'm gonna get my Boogie 1x12 out either today or tomorrow and compare that with the Mission. It should be interesting to hear the differences.
I’ll probably check back with you in a couple of days and ask for another update haha thanks!

I‘m in Germany but Mirko will ship from Italy to the States too.
That's what I did.
I have both the 8‘s and the 10‘s the 8‘s are a bit more mid focused.
Both have serious punch and volume, our other guitarist plays a 4x12 Orange cab, obproblem to keep up with him.
To me, a 8 or 10 speaker reacts faster I prefer them clearly over a 12 speaker (in a FRFR cab).
I concur about the 8's, I haven't had the 10's. The ELIS.8 can pump out some major volume. They don't have the lows of a 10" but, then again, they're only 8" but it's surprising what they can put out. If someone has their Fractal running into the FOH system, then put the ELIS.8 in front of them next to their regular monitor cabinet, and be prepared for some nice acoustic-coupling.

That's what I did.

I concur about the 8's, I haven't had the 10's. The ELIS.8 can pump out some major volume. They don't have the lows of a 10" but, then again, they're only 8" but it's surprising what they can put out. If someone has their Fractal running into the FOH system, then put the ELIS.8 in front of them next to their regular monitor cabinet, and be prepared for some nice acoustic-coupling.
This!
I couldn’t describe it better, thank you!

I have two Friedman ASC-112's on stands, and I started with the 112 Headrush. I use them in combination with my old Bose computer speaker/subwoofer that sound great, and play regular music through them. I also want to upgrade, maybe try to use the Friedman's still but mix them down, they are dark sounding. Is anyone making the Celestion F12-X200s in cabinets? I'm searching but don't see them. I don't have the tools or skill to build a cabinet from their spec sheet. So looks like the answer is the CLRs? Thank you guys!

I have two Friedman ASC-112's on stands, and I started with the 112 Headrush. I use them in combination with my old Bose computer speaker/subwoofer that sound great, and play regular music through them. I also want to upgrade, maybe try to use the Friedman's still but mix them down, they are dark sounding. Is anyone making the Celestion F12-X200s in cabinets? I'm searching but don't see them. I don't have the tools or skill to build a cabinet from their spec sheet. So looks like the answer is the CLRs? Thank you guys!
They have some on Reverb. I thought these were the sh*t, but I don't know about a cabinet someone else built, other than checking out the wood they used. That's tough not being able to see the cab in person. I guess I'm getting a couple CLRs :cool:

I started with a Friedman ASM12 and then went to a Headrush oddly enough. The reason though was that the ASM12 was just too heavy for me to want to lug around - it did however sounds fantastic - little dark but still very guitar-cab like. I took a little hit downgrading to the Headrush, but it's not HORRIBLE - it's just not great. I'm thinking my next one will be a Xitone - talked to Mick who was very responsive and seemed like a good guy - someone that I'd want to buy from.
The Friedman's do sound like a regular amp. Punchy as hell. I am trying to decide if I need to upgrade. I've got GAS bad, so I could just get a new Turbo AXE FX. I've got the GAS sickness, bad.

I've got a couple diy f12 cabs...not sure they would be much of an upgrade from the Friedman tho. I hear they sound awesome. The f12 is a huge upgrade from the headrush and PA type speakers. If you got the cash to burn and gotta try one these look decent.
https://www.vboutiqueusa.com/shop/vboutique-usa-vboutique-usa-frlr-1-x-12-w-celestion-f12-x200/
Yeah I was looking at the celestions in the custom cabs (about $1200/pair), and there was only one Matrix GT100FX 2U poweramp I could find on ebay, with no description and not much detail on photographs ($1100). For what I do these Friedmans are killer +, and like that they sound more like an amp than the monitors I was using and then the Headrush. Headrush make a hell of a stereo system out of this macbook though! Every time I have some time and start getting into configuring the Axe itself, and the footswitches, I learn at least two or three things. I have so many killer presets, I am so happy to have a rig like this, this blows away anything I've ever had before especially in terms of versatility and clarity/definition of the tone. Saturday night, nothing going on, time to practice!

I'm still running my Friedman ASM-10s for my monitoring and live. They are awesome. I have them tilted up towards me and they work great. No problem being heard at all. I was only using 1 at rehearsal this afternoon and it was plenty loud.

I'm still running my Friedman ASM-10s for my monitoring and live. They are awesome. I have them tilted up towards me and they work great. No problem being heard at all. I was only using 1 at rehearsal this afternoon and it was plenty loud.
That's cool, it's great that you love them. It's kind of like when you dial an amp up to practice at home and it sounds great, but when you play with others, you have to modify it a lot to sit in the mix well. The Friedman's have a switch that take out some of the low end that sounds awesome at home, but gets it to cut through when you are playing in a live setting. That may be why it seems to sound dark, I was checking it out tonight messing with the switch and EQ, I have the 12s on stands.

That's cool, it's great that you love them. It's kind of like when you dial an amp up to practice at home and it sounds great, but when you play with others, you have to modify it a lot to sit in the mix well. The Friedman's have a switch that take out some of the low end that sounds awesome at home, but gets it to cut through when you are playing in a live setting. That may be why it seems to sound dark, I was checking it out tonight messing with the switch and EQ, I have the 12s on stands.

Now the thing with mine is that I modified them. I have some fender tilt back legs mounted to them and they point up to me. Never an issue cutting through. I do use the bass cut switch as well. Great cabs that punch very nicely!

Yeah I was looking at the celestions in the custom cabs (about $1200/pair), and there was only one Matrix GT100FX 2U poweramp I could find on ebay, with no description and not much detail on photographs ($1100). For what I do these Friedmans are killer +, and like that they sound more like an amp than the monitors I was using and then the Headrush. Headrush make a hell of a stereo system out of this macbook though! Every time I have some time and start getting into configuring the Axe itself, and the footswitches, I learn at least two or three things. I have so many killer presets, I am so happy to have a rig like this, this blows away anything I've ever had before especially in terms of versatility and clarity/definition of the tone. Saturday night, nothing going on, time to practice!
The f12 diy cabs do sound great and definitely more like a guitar cab than PA and headrush. The best part about it was doing the DIY and saving a ton of money for a great sounding feeling rig. Two cabs and a cheap power amp ran me about $650. I still kept both headrush FRFR12s but only use them for music and backing tracks. Since they have lower frequency response than the f12 they work great for that.

The f12 diy cabs do sound great and definitely more like a guitar cab than PA and headrush. The best part about it was doing the DIY and saving a ton of money for a great sounding feeling rig. Two cabs and a cheap power amp ran me about $650. I still kept both headrush FRFR12s but only use them for music and backing tracks. Since they have lower frequency response than the f12 they work great for that.
Can you post pics of the cabs? I bet that was fun to do, very rewarding to make something for your gear yourself.

Back
Top Bottom