FRFR Upgrade

It took me a while to find something FR FR that I could live with . I use Xitone passive edges with F12x200 Celestion and a Matrix GT100FX 2U, best so far but always looking.
What other solutions did you try before landing on the celestion f12-x200? I tried Yamaha PA, headrush FRFR12s, and Yamaha studio monitors eventually rolling the dice on the F12s. Glad I did cuz these F12s rock.

Videos of what a monitor speaker sounds like just seem absurd to me. Of course people want to know if they'll like them, without buying them and shipping them, both ways of you don't. But whether you do or don't like what you hear on YouTube tells you exactly nothing. IMO.

I'd be a bit nervous about getting them repaired in the US though. Has anyone here had to do that? How'd it go?
I've had to ship the amps from mine to their headquarters in New Jersey a few years back. They replaced both amps and returned them free of charge.
Just last year I had to replace the diaphragm on the drivers. For that, I went through a local RCF dealer.
Both times things were handled quite quickly and with about as much ease as you could expect. Especially the diaphragms since that need came up in the middle of the pandemic. I think it still took less than 2 weeks.

What other solutions did you try before landing on the celestion f12-x200? I tried Yamaha PA, headrush FRFR12s, and Yamaha studio monitors eventually rolling the dice on the F12s. Glad I did cuz these F12s rock.
VHT 2/50/2 and a Marshall 4x12 (the best but one trick pony) Mesa 20/20 2/90 and 395. Cabs Mesa recto 2x12 and EVthiele . FRFR, mission Friedman, CLR.

Which demo?
Sound is like Taste, there is no right or wrong.
Everyone is king when it comes to personal preference.
The one at the beginning of the thread and there is objective good and bad until you get very high up the food chain . I want my Axe to sound exactly like a high end tube amp and with a lot (most) of the FR FR solutions it comes nowhere near.

The one at the beginning of the thread and there is objective good and bad until you get very high up the food chain . I want my Axe to sound exactly like a high end tube amp and with a lot (most) of the FR FR solutions it comes nowhere near.
I understand what you mean and this is the reason you should definitely try out the Red Sound Speaker.
I tried them in comparison with my Friedman, an old late 60’s VOX and Mesa Tube amps.
This is the only speaker that I have tried out, that sounds as good as a tube amp.
And for the Clip of the beginning, did you watch the whole Video?
The Sound in the Video is not the Sound from the Red Sound speaker.

Thats what blew me away with the celestion f12. Sounds and feels more like a high end tube amp than the stuff I tried. Best part is doing the diy build cost half as much as the other turn key solutions. Super happy with them personally. Thanks for the reply Andy.

I'd be a bit nervous about getting them repaired in the US though. Has anyone here had to do that? How'd it go?
Hey I have two, the first one I bought new from Mike Pyle and it had to be repaired, went to NJ was fixed no questions asked and at no cost to me, have gigged it heavily since then with no issues (years and years).

had a headrush 112 and thought it sounded fine
got a clr and realized the clr was better
$700 better?
idk
but its kind of like the whole tone chase
Im fine with an agile les paul til I
play a Gibson lp standard
then Im fine with a gibson lp standard til I
play a historic
same thing with amps
Im fine with stock tubes til I get my hamds on mullards and so on
Theyre worth 2k more imo. When you a/b them sitting next to each other it really is mind blowing.

The other thing the CLR does amazingly well is it floods the area fairly evenly. Not a lot of beam compared to others.

On the celestion f12 front, they sound pretty good if you build the box to their spec sheet.

I rank them clr, redsound, then f12 in a correct box. 👍

Regarding "beam," at least some of that good dispersion is caused by a coaxial design with a good high-frequency driver. Again, I'd pit the EV PXM-12MP against my old CLR neo any day in this area.

I agree here. I've been used to 4x12s onstage for decades, and FR boxes don't make me happy. Folding back my rig after a mic at the monitor console doesn't make me happy in exactly the same way.

Happily, running Axe3 into a bigass poweramp into 4x12s sounds better than ever.

RCF NX12 SMA's for me. Have been using them with the AXE since the early days and they still kick ass.
Same. Tried Friedman 12" and Xitone 12". Only complaint is I can't trust what I'm dialing in on my Yamaha reference monitors to translate to the RCF. RCF is considerably darker and more bass heavy. Still the best I've experienced by far though.

I play the smaller Elis8 ones in a rock and heavy band, no issues here.
The other guitarist plays a Orange Rockverb with a Orange 4x12 and the Red Sound cut through the mix like a hot knife trough butter.
They are loud as hell and have serious punch.
I did choose them against CLR etc. for a reason.
The Video from Sukh (Zenrigs) does explain this very well, better than I could.
Are you in the states? If yes where did you buy them and why 8's over 10's?

Are you in the states? If yes where did you buy them and why 8's over 10's?
I‘m in Germany but Mirko will ship from Italy to the States too.
I have both the 8‘s and the 10‘s the 8‘s are a bit more mid focused.
Both have serious punch and volume, our other guitarist plays a 4x12 Orange cab, obproblem to keep up with him.
To me, a 8 or 10 speaker reacts faster I prefer them clearly over a 12 speaker (in a FRFR cab).

Hi @Sashman,

how roadworthy / durable are those Elis8’s? I’m very interested in them and think of buying a stereo package eventually; at the moment using 2 headrush 108’s in stereo (more than enough punch too btw so not afraid of 8” and really worth your money). However, on screen the Elis8 look more like studio monitors than suited for live use and I wonder if they would survive transportation and use in rehearsal and on stage (whenever that will be overhere: the umpteenth lockdown).

Thx

I do use them on stage and on rehearsals and they are made very sturdy, I wouldn’t worry about that. Way more robust than a Studio Monitor, they are more like a P.A Speaker.
They are made of Plywood (I think) and coated with a scratch resistant color.
You can get gigbags for them but I don’t need them.

Back
Top Bottom