FRFR tests : Atomic CLR, Redsound RS-LG12A... and Boss Katana Artist

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
I wanted to compare all the FRFR solutions I have to amplify my modelers : Atomic CLR, Redsound RS-LG12A... but also a Boss Katana Artist, which I use mainly for an acoustic guitar, but which is also used by some modeler users.
I used the same presets (one clean, one high gain rhythm) from an AX8, and an Ibanez guitar with Bare Knuckle pickups.

Disclaimer : I used a camcorder to record this, with its microphones pointing just between the CLR and the Redsound, and the recording is much more brighter than what I actually heard. The camcorder was 1 meter from the speakers, which is probably way too close. A reference microphone would have been much better but I don't have one. So it's not a scientific comparison - however, it illustrates the sound differences between the three contenders quite well here.

Technically speaking, only the Atomic CLR is a true FRFR monitor, as it's the only one which is flat. In fact, I use a pair of those for all my home studio monitoring works, the CLR is that good. Unsurprisingly, it was the most transparent of the three monitoring solutions here - the only one transparent, to be fair.

The Redsound is made for modelers, but with less high end. Its speaker has an extended range compared to a standard guitar speaker, but not up to 20 khz. It's interesting if you want a rounder, warmer tone, with less piercing highs - not exactly like like using a "real amp in the room", but closer. It's also lighter, around 6 kg less than the Atomic CLR (non-Neo version). I found that I prefer to boost the high end with the AX8 global equalizer, but not much, for acoustic simulation tones (not demoed here).

The Boss Katana Artist, of course, is not a FRFR amp, but many modeler users have had good results with it using the acoustic model, which I did, with a graphic EQ block too. It's much less transparent than the other two, but it has the most guitar amp like punch, and having a amp tonestack (B/M/T) to tweak on the fly is a good thing. I wouldn't have any problem gigging with it.

Wow, the Redsound adds a massive amount of mid range to that preset! Is it like that for the Acoustic tones as well?

Interesting. The Katana doesn’t sound bad and you could use it as a backup if you needed to. Which Bare Knuckle pups are those?

Interesting. The Katana doesn’t sound bad and you could use it as a backup if you needed to. Which Bare Knuckle pups are those?
Holydiver in bridge, Emerald in neck. Stock DiMarzio True Velvet in the middle.

I think there is a bit of an unfair comparison as the Redsound is used in flat and in active EQ where the CLR is only used flat so they are not on a level playing ground. I'd like to hear a comparison with both under identical conditions.

I think there is a bit of an unfair comparison as the Redsound is used in flat and in active EQ where the CLR is only used flat so they are not on a level playing ground. I'd like to hear a comparison with both under identical conditions.
The Redsound is not flat so I used an EQ to try to compensate. The CLR is flat so it didn't need any/
It's not an unfair comparison ; but, it's not a scientific one, that's for sure and I made it clear from the start :)

As mentioned above the Redsound definitely seems to have more midrange bite than the CLR which sounds almost dark in comparison. I thought it sounded better than the CLR and I have two CLR's I use myself at home to create my presets and practice on. Interesting. This is the first I've heard of Redsound.

As mentioned above the Redsound definitely seems to have more midrange bite than the CLR which sounds almost dark in comparison. I thought it sounded better than the CLR and I have two CLR's I use myself at home to create my presets and practice on. Interesting. This is the first I've heard of Redsound.

I was thinking the same thing with regards to the Redsound! The extra EQ'ing definitely made it sound really good. It would be interesting to hear what it would sound like if the preset was EQ'd to match that of the Redsound using the CLR then play it through the Redsound.

I'm going to redo this test using a looped riff so the playing will be the same. I'll also use an Audiotechnica AT2035 mic, and record with my smartphone (LGV30) along with the Sony camcorder. Last, I'll also display the sound of the Katana through its effect loop return

Right now there are pros and cons for the Redsound and the clr. As weight is an issue for me I'll tend to favor the Redsound

@fremen : any updates to share on this after a few months?
Looking to combine the Redsound cab with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170.... good idea?

I still love the Redsound, for sure ! I don't know the SD Powerstage though. Don't forget that the Redsound is active. It has the warmer sound of all, which also means it's the less flat

I would love to do a better video demo, now that I also have the Line 6 Powercab... However, my CLRs and the Powercab are at my tribute to Pink Floyd project rehearsal studio, one hour drive from here, and there too heavy to carry, specially that my appartment is at the third floor, there's no elevator, and I have lower back pain problems. But I'll probably get them back around mid-December, as the rehearsals will be put on hold until mid-January

Back
Top Bottom