"FRFR" suggestion... (yes, another one..!)

I hear you, grape. What do you suggest to me? What would be the "cheapest" in the good models then, if I had to take only one?

You aren't going to like my answer....

Atomic CLR (if used, get the Neo version for nearly half the weight).
I've tested these against several monitors and still think they are the best option.
The others do not have the sound nor the range.

If you hadn't mentioned 8-string or the importance of bass, then I may have answered differently.

Holy molly! I wish I could... but its not even an option for me... I am canadian and they are way too expensive, especially with the money rate from USD to CAD... Its already expensive as hell and it will cost a lot more to import it to here. I really can't afford that option..

The ELX is really not a bad speaker! That is just a very good price for them. If you want to go with just one powered speaker like grape suggested (which is pretty good advice) you can definitely get by with something cheaper than a CLR. I personally use an EV ELX115P and it sounds great for bass and low tuned guitar!

So, do you think the 15" speaker version is moe suitable for 8 string guitar or the 12" would be enough? Or both are kinda the same? Their freq. ranges seemed to be the same.

The ELX has a plywood cabinet and the ZLX has a plastic cabinet. Wood generally has better characteristics than plastic. Also, I actually own the ELX so I know for sure it sounds good with bass (I also play bass guitar) and drop tuned metal! I've also used it for just playing music at parties and weddings and they just sound good in general! The ZLX should sound pretty close but I've never heard them before.
The 15 inch speaker will be able to reproduce the bass frequencies at a higher volume but will be a bit beamy at the crossover point which means off axis the frequency response will change more dramatically than with a 12 inch speaker. I think that's one of the things that makes it sound more like a guitar cab (guitar cabs are VERY beamy). You would probably be fine with a 12 until you try and keep up with a drummer and then the 15 would be better.

Ok! Than you for your infos! I've already read that 15" might be good for some reasons but less tight than 12"... thats why I am a bit in a dilema between 12 and 15.... -_- And I still am haha!

Go with 12". They're easier to transport, and they fit in more cars.

Ok! Than you for your infos! I've already read that 15" might be good for some reasons but less tight than 12"... thats why I am a bit in a dilema between 12 and 15.... -_- And I still am haha!
The EV ELX115Ps sound great! You won't need to worry about them being loose. The twelves will have a more accurate off axis response but won't be as loud.
Is there any chance you could go to a music store and try some out? Rule of thumb is pretty much pointless in modern powered speakers.
When it comes down to it an ELX112p is going to sound great and it is affordable. You should be very happy with it until you need crazy loud volume! At that point you will want to purchase some ear plugs as well so you don't destroy your hearing!!!

Back
Top Bottom