FRFR SOLUTION (opinions?)

I personally don't like FRFR. I need the "amp in the room" feel. I guess I'm an old dog that doesn't learn new tricks. I like guitar cabs and their limited frequency range.

All well and good, but as soon as you stick a mic in front of that cab, either to record it, or to mic it for the venue's PA system, it suddenly sounds like a FRFR speaker. Not to say FRFR is "better", but at least the tone you dial in for your own monitoring is also the tone (or darn close at least) to how an audience, or people listening to a recording hear your guitar.

I used to love my tone during rehearsal but then would go into the studio and would hate it. I wanted it to sound like it did standing in front of my 4x12, but that just isn't possible with a mic'd cab. I've come to embrace FRFR now (with cab models) but now my tone, good or bad, really translates to every way someone might hear it.

Its still not as great as standing in from of my old Marshall 1970's 4x12 with large checkerboard grill and vintage 4x12's, BUT, at least any time I spend tweaking now will still hold up on other systems, which is nice, because now I feel like my tone, is always "my tone" and I don't have to worry about getting to the venue and not sounding right, or wondering if the audience is hearing me differently than I do on stage (not that they probably care aways, but you get the idea)

There is a lot to be said for FRFR

Love love love my active CLR wedges, can't imagine my rig without them at this point.
I did a lenghty review of them, and I love them as much or more now than I did at the time of the review.
If you want to read it just do a search on my name and "sonic bliss"

Located in Australia, so options are somewhat limited (power supply, fright and duty plus exchange rate issues make life somewhat limited)

Have used Alto 112A with a Pod HD in a past life so am ok with the "lack of amp in room" effect with FRFR.

As far as high end (decent) FRFR, one importer does both CLR and Gemini (hence the interest), note though that they are 3000km from my location (yes 3000) so opinions of the forum are really valued!!!

I purchased a pair of Xitones. They're being shipped out as a type, but with all the raves on here about quality, and I can definitely vouch for Mick's stellar customer service, I know I'll be happy with them when they get here.

The takeaway from these kind of topics is that that there are now several stellar FRFR options now available. That's a good thing for all of us and there's no need to limit oneself to only one or two options.

I was looking at the XiTones and considering them, as well. Would running a Mesa Boogie 2/90 into the passive wedges still color the sound too much? I'm at the point to where I'm getting tired of missing out.

The Mesa 2/90 has a tube amp character / profile, but it's a fairly flat wide-range amp. I know people who use them in home theater setups in lieu of a Macintosh.

I have a Carvin class D amp in my touring rack, that I use to power either my backline cabs, or the Xitone wedge.

Another happy K12 camper here. I use a single K12 at home, but have a pair to use as the guitar rig in a big venues with big PAs. At most gigs though, we use the K12s for FOH, and run the FOH mix to a pair of K10s used as wedge monitors in front of us. As an acoustic/electric band, we're not real loud, so this arrangement works for us.

Back
Top Bottom