FRFR SOLUTION (opinions?)

CLR Wedge. You can flip on on its side and use it as a standard backline if you don't want to use it as a wedge, but the angle really let's you hear it.

I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything, plus it keeps up with my other guitarists 4x12 and weighs 33lbs (I have a NEO).

I have 2 CLR wedges and they are great. I am very pleased with them. I keep them on their side like a backline to save my ears :)

There are other options as well if you are open to them. Talk to Mic from XiTone. Not only does he build outstanding and reasonably priced products but he also has unparalleled customer service and communication. He built me a pair of 12" passive wedges with midi switching between FRFR-mode and a guitar cab mode. I freaking love them! He is a custom shop so he will build you exactly what you want. Lots of information on this topic as well if you head over to the Amps and Cabs sub-forum. Good luck!

Last edited:
There are other options as well if you are open to them. Talk to Mic from XiTone. Not only does he build outstanding and reasonably priced products but he also has unparalleled customer service and communication. He built me a pair of 12' passive wedges with midi switching between FRFR-mode and a guitar cab mode. I freaking love them! He is a custom shop so he will build you exactly what you want. Lots of information on this topic as well if you head over to the Amps and Cabs sub-forum. Good luck!

+ 1 000 000!

Mic built me a 1x12 Active wedge and it is AMAZING. Crystal clear, loud as you want/need it and Mic is an awesome guy to work with.

Don't limit yourself... there are so many great other FRFR options that are rarely mentioned here. Just because something popular in forum is not a guarantee it will be right for you.

Plus, know what you are getting into... If you have never tried an FRFR setup, I recommend trying one first to see if you even like it. Hearing is believing, if you have an opportunity to try an FRFR rig, take advantage of it.

Not to be discouraging, but there are those that are expecting something else, and just don't like the "feel" of FRFR. They wind up disappoint, expecting that amp in room "feel". It's not for everyone. People in here tend to get overly zealous and skip that part.

Good luck!

+1000 on Mick / XiTone costumer service, I was drilling his brain for the past week or so before I placed my order for 2 cabs.
Decided to go with a traditional look, and few more options, all customized to my taste, Mick was super friendly and patient with me.
Can't wait to try them.

I love my JBL SRX812. Amazing crystal clear tone and so much headroom I cant even begin to think about turning it up past 5. Expensive and well worth it.
And the great thing about it is you can purchase it on the in house 12 pay plan through American Musical so its roughly $120 per month. Very affordable.

I own a CLR Active Wedge & a Gemini 2. Prefer the Gemini for my use. I play mostly at home and at low volumes with friends. The Gemini translates very well from recording / headphones to live. I usually have to set up my presets specifically for the CLR at louder volume.The Gemini has some useful features, Bluetooth,USB & Empower (eq from cab to FRFR) that are nice to have. I also use the Gemini for Bass and the 2X12 sounds really good. Not much media on the Gemini but Cooper Carter's video is probably the best.

#1 - Search this topic in the forum. There are dozens of lengthy threads about it already.
# 2 There is truth to what Sharka says.
#3, The CLR's are popular here, and it's for a good reason. They are not the only solution, but they are a good solution.

I have 2 CLR wedges. I have used them as monitors, as PA tops, and as a backline for about the last year. They are pretty darned good. I've personally never really heard a more clear and articulate monitor. There is not much low end in them, and they will not give you a real (4x12) amp in the room. They are loud and can compete though. There is no thump, no real air moving at you if you care about that sort of thing. The reproduction of the tone is accurate, but they do not sound the same as my tone coming out of our PA mains (QSC KW 153's) Mainly, the tone in the 153's is fatter, fuller, and awesome.

But, for monitors in front of me, they do a great job of letting me hear what I need. I often use IEM's now, but I still always have my CLR's there so I can feel something, and so I can get feedback etc.

Friedman FRFR
Matrix Q12 or FR212
Atomic CLR
XiTone
Gemini

If you are located in Europe, also check out HK Audio Equipment. (I don't know if it is available in US)

These are all very good options, though i have not heard them all, people like them.

We tested Q12a, CLR and HK Audio Pro12MA today. A little different but I could live with any of them.
I bought the CLR of a friend and will test it over the weekend. A lot :D

I personally don't like FRFR. I need the "amp in the room" feel. I guess I'm an old dog that doesn't learn new tricks. I like guitar cabs and their limited frequency range.

I personally don't like FRFR. I need the "amp in the room" feel. I guess I'm an old dog that doesn't learn new tricks. I like guitar cabs and their limited frequency range.

That's whats great about the Gemini you can have either or a combination. Stereo image, controlled feedback (at low volume), plenty loud as my neighbors will tell you...

There are other options as well if you are open to them. Talk to Mic from XiTone. Not only does he build outstanding and reasonably priced products but he also has unparalleled customer service and communication. He built me a pair of 12" passive wedges with midi switching between FRFR-mode and a guitar cab mode. I freaking love them! He is a custom shop so he will build you exactly what you want. Lots of information on this topic as well if you head over to the Amps and Cabs sub-forum. Good luck!

I second the xitone recommendation! I had two active wedges and Mics customers service is killer. I loaned them to a guitarist in santo domingo, and he doesn't want to give them back. he has my old Axe II and MFC and using the xitones in stereo, won him over from using the Axe for FX only.

He is going to buy my xitones as importing to DR is a royal pain in ass. I am likely going to replace with CLR. Sort of torn as I really like the xitones and they sound sort of a hybrid of FRFR and guitar cab. But. . . I run 2 axes and having two inputs on CLR with ability to sum them and send the output of each to FOH is appealing. I could eliminate a RJM mini line mixer from rack.

Also it is time to upgrade my meh tapco studio monitors and CLRs can serve dual duty.

Even if I go CLR I can see my ordering a custom xitone from mic in the future!

Back
Top Bottom