FRFR: I Admit I Prefer It

I never in anyway implied that the DXR10 is as flat or as good an FRFR monitor as the CLR, in fact I recommended the CLR above the DXR10 - I did say however that the DXR10 is more flat and true FRFR than the DXR12, which I've experienced myself and also remember "somebody somewhere" measured and posted about on another forum.
The CLR is king of the hill from what I've tried so far, but in a slightly tighter budget I think that the DXR10 is very good indeed.

Ah, I misinterpreted your post! your post reads that you had tested the DXR10 with the DXR12 and the CLR through your AX II xl+ stating the DXR10 sounded more flat than the 12's. I took that as both the DXR12 and the CLR.

Both statements are mostly true. I can't have something that doesn't keep with full-on drumset with second guitar player with 120W valve head and 4x12 cabinet. Hearing myself well is mandatory. Bying something that's easy to carry around, but if it doesn't hold in the band, makes no sense.

CLR is no-go - 1250 EUR is a total deal breaker. DB Technologies Flexsys FM10 has only 300W and can't be put on a stand.
XiTones are too expensive. Matrix FR12 remains (tho out of reach atm). 4x12 cabinet + power amp defies most of AX8 advantages and is expensive too.
Hell... I will probably just go to a shop a try whatever they have. But it will be hard to imagine in a band context. I really hoped for some metalhead to show up here with a possible way to go. Thank you gentlemans.

Demoing is the only way to go of whatever you can get your hands on! Did you look at the Flexsys FM12? Also the wattages they spec out are RMS so that means it can do that all day long! The CLR's are rated at 500 watts RMS and I think it's 400 to the woofer and 100 to the highs (RMS) Peak wattages are roughly twice that that is why a lot of prosumer gear advertises peak wattages.

It's really no good in the real world as peak wattages are just that peak! meaning at the verge of self destruction. You really can't go on peak SPL either as they don't tell you at what freq they measured the freq at, (uausaly 1 kHz) but we don't make music at just 1 kHz now do we. 126 db means nothing other than it will produce 126 db of SPL at 1 kHz which would be very painful to listen to.

If you can make 112-116 db with any monitor continuously at the freqs you need it will hang with your buddies 120 watt head, but I highly recommend you wear ear plugs at those volumes.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks so much for the feedback!

D

Offering an update as promised in my earlier post.

So the gig with the new rig went well Saturday.

Axe Fx II through Matrix GT800 to a passive 12” XiTone wedge on each side placed behind like traditional back line. My bass player used a 2x12 cab on each side turned vertical. I placed the wedges on their sides on top of the bass cabs.

The first good indication I got was when the sound guy asked me to turn down the stage volume a bit (I thought the volume was fine -of course- but just asked for more guitar in the monitor to reciprocate). This gave me a clue that the setup should be ok volume-wise for a slightly larger stage. As everyone says, the dispersion was great. I didn’t find myself walking over to my cab bending down and putting my ear to a speaker to see what the audience was hearing. I would often do that at least a couple times a night for some reason or another.

I still have some tweaking to do tone wise. But I’m overall happy with the new set up.

I ran the matrix volumes at about 3 o’clock because I read in other areas that it seems to impact the tone. I agree with this. Feels more tuby, if that’s a word.

For genre reference.
This is a hard rock band that does everything from Aerosmith and Van Halen to Avenged 7x and Disturbed. So the rig is definitely put through it’s paces on any given night.

My only hang up at this point is looks. I am so used to the fear factor of big cabs that this seems a bit dainty. I may order some scrims to fill the area. I gues we can get a few different ones for variety and have some fun with it...

Axe Fx II through Matrix GT800 to a passive 12” XiTone wedge on each side placed behind like traditional back line. My bass player used a 2x12 cab on each side turned vertical. I placed the wedges on their sides on top of the bass cabs.

The first good indication I got was when the sound guy asked me to turn down the stage volume a bit (I thought the volume was fine -of course- but just asked for more guitar in the monitor to reciprocate). This gave me a clue that the setup should be ok volume-wise for a slightly larger stage. As everyone says, the dispersion was great. I didn’t find myself walking over to my cab bending down and putting my ear to a speaker to see what the audience was hearing. I would often do that at least a couple times a night for some reason or another.

I still have some tweaking to do tone wise. But I’m overall happy with the new set up.

I ran the matrix volumes at about 3 o’clock because I read in other areas that it seems to impact the tone. I agree with this. Feels more tuby, if that’s a word.

For genre reference.
This is a hard rock band that does everything from Aerosmith and Van Halen to Avenged 7x and Disturbed. So the rig is definitely put through it’s paces on any given night.

My only hang up at this point is looks. I am so used to the fear factor of big cabs that this seems a bit dainty. I may order some scrims to fill the area. I gues we can get a few different ones for variety and have some fun with it...

great, thank you so much for the feedback!

For genre reference.

Glad the gig went good. My first XiTone's were passive as well and used them with the Matrix GT1000. I quickly realized that I was sold on FRFR and picked up some powered XiTone's so I could ditch the Matrix and have less to carry. FYI, the scrims work great. Being in an Ozzy tribute, it doesn't look very cool on stage with a little 12" speaker sitting behind me. LOL! So we have 3 different scrims we use for our shows. They look great.

Seems I’m on a very similar path! I picked up the AX8 and just ordered a powered wedge. I will make it a pair soon but need to make some room. I’m def going to do the scrim thing...
I saw some video that you posted of your act as well. Good stuff! Nice see the equipment at work too!

Back
Top Bottom