FRFR: I Admit I Prefer It

rrogers

Inspired
Spent a few hours today going back and forth between FRFR, a Marshall 2x12 w/ V30s, a Marshall 4x12 with same speakers, and stock Dual Rectifier 4x12 (whatever Mesa loads in those).

I actually prefer FRFR, even with a bass and drummer chugging along and the FRFR setup (I have some EVs and recently picked up the Friedman unit) is my sole source of volume.

Mentally I feel like I should like the regular guitar cabs better, but I truly don’t. I find it interesting how working in a non-traditional environment (Axe and FRFR) has led me to abandon some preconceived notions about tone and listen more objectively.

I did the same thing, first with a real be-100 and 2x12 cab, then with the Axe, matrix amp, into 2x12, then the Axe into a Friedman ASM, the last option sounded best so that’s where I landed.

I totally agree. There are some really annoying characteristics of a real guitar cab. I particularly hate how much it changes depending on where you stand relative to the cab. Right in front: too shrill. Too far off center: muffled.

I totally agree. There are some really annoying characteristics of a real guitar cab. I particularly hate how much it changes depending on where you stand relative to the cab. Right in front: too shrill. Too far off center: muffled.
This is the main reason I embraced FRFR, no more beamy cabs pointing at the back of my knees sounding like mud, yet cutting the face off the people down the front.

Yes, and when we got our second guitar player to move to FRFR also, that changed everything much more than just one guitar going frfr. So much easier to get a good mix

Funny, after playing with FRFRs for the past 7 years or so I just yesterday bought a SD PowerStage 170 and a 1x12" open cab with a G12M and had a lot of fun playing that. ;-) And open back 1x12" cabs aren't that directional (I actually prefer them to Xx12" cabs).
What's REALLY interesting (although I already knew that) is, that many amps sound quite similar when played through the same guitar cab, especially the more gainy ones.

Funny, after playing with FRFRs for the past 7 years or so I just yesterday bought a SD PowerStage 170 and a 1x12" open cab with a G12M and had a lot of fun playing that. ;-) And open back 1x12" cabs aren't that directional (I actually prefer them to Xx12" cabs).
What's REALLY interesting (although I already knew that) is, that many amps sound quite similar when played through the same guitar cab, especially the more gainy ones.

I disagree with the assertion that an open back 1x12 isn't very direction. My primary cab before the Axe II was an open back 1x12. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of annoying, directional guitar cabs.

That said, I'm not saying that I entirely dislike playing a real guitar cab. They can be really fun, especially when you're just playing by yourself. The cons just out weight the benefits for me, especially when you start thinking about a full mix.

After moving to the Axe FX chasing a means to get real amp-cab tones, it did seem a bit odd not using the amps and cabs I'd played all my musical life. Like the OP, I'd spent years hoping to find something as good as that. Now I don't have any desire to go back. I still have a bunch of amps, and still like playing on them from time to time. But they never leave the house anymore, and haven't in years. I like the new normal.

It took me a while to get my head around it of coarse back then it was a fairly new concept. I wanted to make sure it was the right move before I ditched all my guitar cabs, there is so much more versatility.

Every once in a while I will play through a guitar cab and when I do, It's not long before remember why I use a full range cab.

I figured it would be a difficult change for me when I first tried it but wasn’t at all. Going on 2 years now and never going back. I do not miss the beaminess of regular guitar cabs. The consistent sound from standing anywhere around a FRFR speaker and the sound dispersion is just awesome.

Looking back at the time and money spent on cabs and speakers kills me , now that I've experienced an FRFR. Playing shows , bent over , with my head - a foot in front of a 4x12 cab , trying to hear myself. Ahhh , the days of ringing ears 2 days after a gig.
FRFR believer here. My AX8 has never sounded so good.
Kinda wondering what the newest Xitone version is....

I’m totally in the FRFR camp. For years now. I know what I’m hearing, and I have a better idea of what it sounds like in the house. And you just can’t approach that range of tones with a traditional cab. I don’t miss the old way at all.

While on the wait list for the III, I picked up an Atomic CLR as the port setup on it allows me to use it with all my gear and my SO's DJ setup. It was harder to justify (rationalize) the cost without the extra uses.

I plugged the CLR into my Mesa V:25 head's DI port for giggles the other day and I'll be damned if it isn't far better sounding now than with the 1x12 Black Shadow equipped Mesa cab I usually use. The cab's going to get very lonely.

I figured it would be a difficult change for me when I first tried it but wasn’t at all. Going on 2 years now and never going back. I do not miss the beaminess of regular guitar cabs. The consistent sound from standing anywhere around a FRFR speaker and the sound dispersion is just awesome.

I play metal (classic/traditional/power) in a band with a 2nd guitarist, and picked up a GT1000 to go with my AX8 (replacing JVM410 & 6505+ heads), to feed 1960a & Mesa OS Recto 4x12 cabs. If I were to try FRFR, what would you (and everyone else) advise I get, considering I already have a GT1000, and need to push air equivalent to the 4x12's ? - Live stage volume, and uniformity, is important for the band sound (it is metal, after all) and I fear going direct with IEM's would feel unnatural for myself (hard to generate feedback), some of the band, and to the audience directly in front of the stage.

I play metal (classic/traditional/power) in a band with a 2nd guitarist, and picked up a GT1000 to go with my AX8 (replacing JVM410 & 6505+ heads), to feed 1960a & Mesa OS Recto 4x12 cabs. If I were to try FRFR, what would you (and everyone else) advise I get, considering I already have a GT1000, and need to push air equivalent to the 4x12's ? - Live stage volume, and uniformity, is important for the band sound (it is metal, after all) and I fear going direct with IEM's would feel unnatural for myself (hard to generate feedback), some of the band, and to the audience directly in front of the stage.
I would sell the GT1000 and put the money towards getting 2 Friedman ASC-12’s. They are the closest sounding FRFR’s to a real 4x12 cab.

I hear you!
In the past on varies cabinets, have used "Beam Blockers" on the speakers, and they work very well but can cause other problems (nothing major). But still ...... Something else to compensate for. The speaker of choice at the time was V30's. In the end I went to Guitar Warehouse Speakers the "Veteran 30. The V30 flavor for sure, with was less shrill, at first disliked what I was hearing, just so use to compensating for the shrill. That they sounded kind of flat to me, in the end liked them allot. But that's history now.

Been a FRFR guy for about 6-7 years now, don't see myself going back, and don't get me wrong I love the real deal !
Don't have to list reasons why I feel this way since everybody who posted above me has it covered.

John

I would sell the GT1000 and put the money towards getting 2 Friedman ASC-12’s. They are the closest sounding FRFR’s to a real 4x12 cab.

I'm gonna keep the GT1000 for traditional cabs. Depending on the set up, I may need it. It's also practical to keep it for backup/redundancy, and a safe familiarity when doing a fly/session/rehearsal gig/situation, where a 2nd guitarist is gonna be running through a cab. Otherwise, it looks like an ASC-12 is in my future. - My goal has been to slim down and minimize my gear. So weight and convenience for travel is paramount. Considering all of this, a DXR10 looks attractive too. I'm prob going to sell my tube amps, keep my cabs, and add the ASC-12's.

I'm gonna keep the GT1000 for traditional cabs. Depending on the set up, I may need it. It's also practical to keep it for backup/redundancy, and a safe familiarity when doing a fly/session/rehearsal gig/situation, where a 2nd guitarist is gonna be running through a cab. Otherwise, it looks like an ASC-12 is in my future. - My goal has been to slim down and minimize my gear. So weight and convenience for travel is paramount. Considering all of this, a DXR10 looks attractive too. I'm prob going to sell my tube amps, keep my cabs, and add the ASC-12's.
Right on. I kept my Matrix GT1000 and 2x12 recto cab around for a few years just in case. But I never used them so I recently sold them to help fund the purchase of my III.

Most of the sounds people chase are heard on recordings - when people want the EVH brown sound they are almost always referencing eddie’s recorded sound on some song, not the sound they heard in eddie’s living room while he was jamming in front of them. I am puzzled why guitarists think they should be able to replicate studio recordings of their favorite guitarists with an amp in the room.

Back
Top Bottom