FRFR Comparison

Thank you.

I own the Cubo, too and I like it very much on cleans, not sure what I'm doing wrong with the high-gain stuff though...

can I assume your volume knob is set to 12 oclock ?
Volume is only around 3.5 or so. It's wild how loud this little cab is.

With the Elis 8s, volume is around 7 to match the Cubo.

Very curious about a comparison of V2 FR10/12 <> Redsound <> CLR.
I imagine that the V2 (gold) preamp will add a lot to the fidelity of the FRs. That is one big area where the Elis 8s really shine. I haven't cranked them yet, but they don't seem to have a lot of volume. I hear a significant improvement in fidelity with the Blueamps Cubo as well, and that has plenty of volume. Obviously, there is no lack of power with the FRs. I remember the CLRs well. Very high fidelity, with more than sufficient volume.

Volume is only around 3.5 or so. It's wild how loud this little cab is.

With the Elis 8s, volume is around 7 to match the Cubo.
Is it ok if I asked if you're using only the your fractal for amp\cab\effects emulation, or also using VST3's ?

Also what is the output knob on your fractal turned to when using the cubo ?

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.

Is it ok if I asked if you're using only the your fractal for amp\cab\effects emulation, or also using VST3's ?

Also what is the output knob on your fractal turned to when using the cubo ?

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.
Actually, I've been only playing through my Ethos Clean Fusion Deluxe again for the past couple days. (Thanks to @Burgs for the introduction to this incredible amp/s in a box! It's been well worth it.)

It's quite satisfying.

I was just running out of its cab sim, into a Strymon Volante, into the Neunable Immerse MKII, and out to the Elis 8s, and having some fun with the Volante SoS.

The Elis 8s are high fidelity speakers, audiophile quality, for sure. The volume is plenty sufficient for my basement studio. And at high volume, their clarity is a completely different story. They begin to open up significantly; very full sounding with plenty of headroom.

If I needed a more compact solution than the FR-10s, I would probably gig with the Cubo over the Elis 8s. I'm kind of looking at the Elis 8s as a luxury at the moment. I'm not convinced I will keep them, because the the FR-10s are more practical with the line out, and I think they will come close to matching the sound quality once I receive the V2 preamp. I already have decent studio monitors. A huge advantage to the FR series is that line out (also the Redsound Pro/M line). If I was monitoring in stereo, but needed mono out to FoH, I would do what someone else mentioned and run L/R summed into a dual input DI. Note that the Cubo does not have a line out, but I'm assuming they would add that upon request when you order.

If I was using one of the Simplifier pedals, they have a separate line out. That's one feature not on the Ethos. I will be hooking the Simplifier back up to play through using the Cubo and the Elis 8s this weekend.

Very curious about a comparison of V2 FR10/12 <> Redsound <> CLR.
Austin Buddy and I did a quick comparison of the CLR, Redsound MF10 and Fender FR-12 v1 (so not the 10, but probably similar). Overall they all sounded good, and I don't know that there was a clear winner - the CLR had the sweetest high end, the MF10 was a little darker, and the FR-12 was to my ear in between the two in that respect. I toured with a pair of MF10s for a little while and found them really good, although I did end up jerry-rigging one of the pair to tilt back and up at my ears behind me so I could hear it better. I know Buddy really likes the combo of the MF10 and CLR as they mix well together.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three - there are subtle differences, but all are good.

Its awesome that we are finally at the point where sound reinforcement options for modeling is getting really good. For so long that was the weak point. Being on this forum since roughly 2011 when i started with the Axe Ultra and over the years seeing what FRFR solutions were favored by users here.. Sure, there were some great options like the CLR and others but now it feels the market is upping the game in this respect. Would be interesting to see what other offerings come up.

I was a little bit wrong about the Elis 8. Maybe they're sensitive to input, but playing the Simplifier X through them resulted in significantly more volume. I'm running the speakers around 9, X master volume around 6. Plenty of volume, wonderful tube-amp like thump.
But... playing the X through the Cubo (still on around 3.5 volume), was almost the same perceived volume, up close. Not quite the thump though.

Both the Cubo and Elis 8s are still completely quiet on their own with the X.

That being said, I'm still going to place my bet on the FR-10 with V2. I've had the CLR (original) and was a Xitone user for many years. There are plenty of great solutions out there. The EV PXM is also excellent. I plan on keeping that since it's a traditional wedge, but can also be mounted.

Back
Top Bottom