AFIII Presets Fremen Presets masterthread (releases, updates etc.)

Third-party preset or preset pack for the Axe-Fx III
You're welcome. "Fremen's Picks" update has just been added to the website. Next one will be the "Cleans, Ambient & SFX" packs, which shouldn't take long.
I have among other your Rock & Metal presets. But when I log into my account on your website and download them I only get the old version, but not the cygnus updated presets. So how do I get the updated presets please?

Yes, open your browser session in ‘private’ mode (differs in each browser), it disables caching and you will see current content.

Funny side note. I just logged into my account to download the new packs. My last purchase had a purchase ID # of just under 12k. My first purchase back at the beginning of 2017 was purchase ID #21. It's been a long road... :)

Great presets every step of the way Freman!

I don't feel the presets needs re-dial from 16.00 to 16.01
….Do you feel a difference Thibault with your presets in Cygnus Fw16 ..?? Where are the differences ..?,
great that they need no ….re tweak
Tu as fait plus de la moitié de tes packs …!!!
I don't feel the presets needs re-dial from 16.00 to 16.01
Courage … Courage in English ;) :)

….Do you feel a difference Thibault with your presets in Cygnus Fw16 ..?? Where are the differences ..?,
great that they need no ….re tweak
Tu as fait plus de la moitié de tes packs …!!!

Courage … Courage in English ;) :)
Compared to pre-cygnus ? Yes this update is the one that was the most demanding for me, because many amps changed a lot ! But I have a trusted method : a looper (Fractal Audio FX8) connected into a A/B box (Radial Twin City ABY) connected into (A) the Axe-Fx III and (B) the FM3, with the same presets/modeling corresponding to the last Axe-Fx III version. So, for a pack like "Fremen's picks", first I updated the clean presets : I loop a few chords in the quack position of my Tom Anderson Strat, then I compare the sound between Axe-Fx III and FM3, and adjust where necessary. Then I did the same for the mid and high gain rhythm (this time looping a heavy riff with the bridge humbucker), then the leads, and last the special presets (song specific and special fx), for which I have to actually play (I can't use the looper for those). "Fremen's picks" took me 3 days

However now I'm waiting a bit... I could continue updating the clean pack but there's the new beta, I've not decided if I'll update with 16.00 or 16.01 yet

There is a noticeable difference in the Dual USA RTM patch (and others) from 16.0 to 16.1. Seems one side has a lower lever and needs balancing. And the tone changed. (Just one example from a preset I use a lot)

Compared to pre-cygnus ? Yes this update is the one that was the most demanding for me, because many amps changed a lot ! But I have a trusted method : a looper (Fractal Audio FX8) connected into a A/B box (Radial Twin City ABY) connected into (A) the Axe-Fx III and (B) the FM3, with the same presets/modeling corresponding to the last Axe-Fx III version. So, for a pack like "Fremen's picks", first I updated the clean presets : I loop a few chords in the quack position of my Tom Anderson Strat, then I compare the sound between Axe-Fx III and FM3, and adjust where necessary. Then I did the same for the mid and high gain rhythm (this time looping a heavy riff with the bridge humbucker), then the leads, and last the special presets (song specific and special fx), for which I have to actually play (I can't use the looper for those). "Fremen's picks" took me 3 days

However now I'm waiting a bit... I could continue updating the clean pack but there's the new beta, I've not decided if I'll update with 16.00 or 16.01 yet
Thanks for explaining your process ,
i was wondering if you had tried the new beta and so your impressions , if it changes the sound of the packs already updated to cygnus .....
thanks Thibault

There is a noticeable difference in the Dual USA RTM patch (and others) from 16.0 to 16.1. Seems one side has a lower lever and needs balancing. And the tone changed. (Just one example from a preset I use a lot)

I used my FX8 as a looper and played this short improvised riff through firmware 16.00, then 16.01. Is there a tonal difference ? A subtle one, yes, but I can't hear a drastic difference that would require a new preset update. And the levels seems fine here too. How do you guys hear it here ?

16.01 has a tighter sound I'm digging 16.0 with that more forgiving - looser tone & feel - that was the first thing I noticed - not a fan

IMO 16.0 sounds more natural - 16.01 reminds me of the Helix tight unforgiving tones

Avant de changer de firmware, je prends la courbe d'équalisation de mes sons avec HOFA Eq-Analizer pour voir les changements. Il semble que 16.1 ajoute plus ou moins 1.2 Db de 38 a 116 Hz.
L'ajout de basse dépends aussi du réglage du Speaker Compression et Speaker Time Constant.
il me semble que la courbe Speaker Imp Curve du 4x12 USA Lead a changée.
Courbe utilisé dans Story of Gravity.
Etant fan absolu de Steve Vai , c'est le preset que j'utilise le plus. Même si je l'ai un peu retouché pour avoir un peu plus de fizz comme dans son son dans Knappsack.
En tout cas, j'en profite pour te remercier pour tes presets. :-D

Before changing firmware, I take the equalisation curve of my sounds with HOFA Eq-Analizer to see the changes. It seems that 16.1 adds more or less 1.2 Db from 38 to 116 Hz.
The bass addition also depends on the Speaker Compression and Speaker Time Constant settings.
It seems to me that the Speaker Imp Curve of the 4x12 USA Lead has changed.
Curve used in Story of Gravity.
Being an absolute fan of Steve Vai, this is the preset I use the most. Even if I tweaked it a bit to have a little more fizz like in his sound in Knappsack.
Anyway, I take this opportunity to thank you for your presets. :-D

I use that preset with my Jem all the time too. What are the clean scenes based on? Which tracks?
No specific song but Steve's clean tone these days, how I could hear it at Vai Academy 5 ; it's also the clean channel of his Synergy module

It's weird. I love both 15 and 16 and could happily gig and record with either. Kinda like having 2 of the same amp with different revisions, you love one for one reason, love the other for a different reason. At this point I may still use both FW's. How's that for amazing progress!

I used my FX8 as a looper and played this short improvised riff through firmware 16.00, then 16.01. Is there a tonal difference ? A subtle one, yes, but I can't hear a drastic difference that would require a new preset update. And the levels seems fine here too. How do you guys hear it here ?

It's the levels in the stereo image. i.e. Ares preset sounded full and had a good stereo image. Upgrading to 16b and release changed the balance. The new preset in 16 corrected it and 16.01 changed the balance and level of the stereo image again.
In your example, the whole image shift to the right on 16.01

Last edited:
As promised here is what I think of the new gravity preset. I love, absolute,y love the leads one and 2. They will be my main lead sounds again like they were pre-cygnus. Lead 3 has a bit of a cocked wah sound to it which is not my cup of tea. The ballerina pitch shifter setting I put under a button so I can add it when I want to in my lead sounds. Nice for an ending or intro somewhere. The cleans I have no reference for. I love Vai but must admit I have not paid attention to recent work after fire garden. The cleans are fine and perfectly useable.
I have just spent some time working and comparing presets and am also very happy with the new cameron preset. It was great before, but what a beast it is now! Love it.
I watched a video on youtube where petrucci played his favourite riffs and loved the sound. I played it through my axe and frfrs to see how close I (read you lol) could get. I worked through the rock and metal pack and found a few presets that were close enough (after all I do not play the same guitar). I missed the massiveness though. Then I got to a few of your stereo patches and boom. There it was. So impressive, that massive sound coming out of my own set. Thank you. I would never be able to get this quality of sound without you. Rock on and please just keep adding packs.

Back
Top Bottom