Presets Fremen FM9 presets masterthread

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
My first FM9 presets packs, Pink Floyd and Amp Packs Bundle, are now available !

First , the Pink Floyd ones :

About that video : Two years and a half after the final "Mauritian Tribute to Pink Floyd" show (2h26 min), I played all my guitar parts live in my studio (the original guitar track is muted in the live recording of my band), using my brand new FM9. The purpose was to show all the presets I use, and which scene is used in which part of each song (that's why you see FM9-Edit, and my feet). It wasn't easy, specially that I tried to record everything in one shot, I didn't rehearse and had forgot many parts (*) ! But here it is, as some sort of "video manual" for my FM9/FM3/Axe-Fx III presets.
Songs : 0:00 intro, 1:08 In the flesh, 4:22 Time, 11:13 Mother, 17:51 Have a cigar, 22:42 Wish you were here, 28:40 Us and them/Any color you like/Brain damage/Eclipse, 44:32 Money, 53:44 Marooned, 59:13 Echoes, 1:06:53 Run like hell, 1:12:30 Breathe, 1:15:58 Sorrow (intro), 1:17:33 Young lust, 1:21:25 On the turning away, 1:28:54 Shine on you crazy diamond, 1:42:17 Hey you, 1:47:06 High hopes, 1:54:41 The great gig in the sky, 2:00:06 Goodbye blue sky, 2:02:45 The final cut, 2:08:18 Another brick in the wall pt 1/Happiest days of our life/Another brick in the wall pt 2, 2:17:37 Comfortably numb

The actual guitar recording took me 4 hours, and the video editing, two full days. The guitar performance is far from perfect, I didn't play most of these songs for 30+ months and forgot many details, plus I currently have big arms/fingers pain, that didn't help ! Watch on youtube for more details on the performance

Pack available here : https://fremenpresets.com/fm9/

The other pack I released is the Amp Packs bundle

The purpose of the presets in this pack is that each one can be used for a full song, or even a full gig – I used a similar preset in my Axe-Fx III for a full show.
Based on my Axe-Fx III Amp Packs (*), but re-dialed for the FM9, each of these 89 presets is meant to be used live, with 8 scenes :
1 Rhythm
2 Crunch (less gain)
3 Lead 1
4 lead 2 (wetter, fatter than lead 1)
5 Fender style clean
6 Fender style clean with chorus
7 Eighties style glassy clean
8 Acoustic simulation

Scenes 1 to 4 uses the same amp model/channel, with various amount of gain, so there's no sound cut going from rhythm to crunch to lead, unlike what you have when using different channels. Each preset use a different amp model. The amount of gain in scenes 1 to 4 goes from rock to metal, except for the 13 presets using boutique amps, which are more suitable for classic rock/blues-rock/fusion. Scenes 5 to 8 have the same amps/effects settings in each preset – the effects settings in the 13 “boutique” presets are slightly different. Those 13 boutique presets also uses a different “clean” amp for scenes 5 & 6. Also included are 26 custom cabs, including one for acoustic simulation. As usual, those presets are for FRFR systems.

Both packs are not direct port of the FM3 or Axe-Fx III versions. They're probably compatible with the Axe-Fx III (with possible conversion bugs), but not with the FM3. It took me two weeks to optimize both of them for the FM9, as I wanted to use all the CPU power available.

both are 2x12. I used a variety of speakers in them (Celestion V30/G12-65/EVH, Eminence Cannabis Rex, Eminence GB128... I also made IRs from cabs belonging to friends, Marshall 4x12, Diezel 4x12, Engl 2x12...) and then applied some post processing, depending on the result I want. Note that I use the name "Palmer 2x12" as a generic term, I don't have that Palmer cab anymore, but I have a Matrix 2x12, a Recto 2x12 (whose IRs I use the most now), a Blackstar 1x12, and some custom made 1x12 coming

The Amp Packs Bundle is now updated to firmware 2.02. The Pink Floyd one will follow soon, and I will also release FM9 version of all my other packs. Fremen's Picks will be the first one, it is almost ready, I just need to check the user cabs and write the usual presentation.

Making FM9 versions of my existing presets packs has been way more time consuming that I thought. I always import the Axe-Fx III versions, not the FM3 ones, and I found many discrepancies, as listed here (list far from complete) :
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-00-06.183245/post-2262933

Plus, I use different controller settings with the FM9, as I use the PEDAL 1/2/3 for my expression pedals instead of a FC-12, that adds a lot the amount of work... Wish I could automate these changes !

Anyway, it's good to be back to work :cool: I spent almost 3 weeks without touching a guitar, first because I was traveling, then because of health issues (not completely resolved yet). My goal is to have all my Axe-Fx III packs available for the FM9 by the end of next week, which should be doable if I don't have too many conversion errors

5 new packs are now available for the FM9 (fw 2.02) : Fremen's Essentials, Rock & Metal vol 1 & 2, The Brit Pack, and Cleans, Ambient & SFX. More will follow very soon !

Two more FM9 packs are available : Boutique+Blues, Synthpads & Drones. Next will be the acoustic one, then I'll update the Pink Floyd one. Not sure I'll make a FM9 version of Richard Hallebeek's pack, as he doesn't have a FM9

The Acoustic Simulation pack for FM9 is now available, as is the 2.02 update for the Pink Floyd pack, with two more songs, Coming back to life & Dogs. The distortion sounds for that new version have been redialed to be warmer soundings as you can hear in the Axe-Fx III version (the FM9 version sounds the same) :

The FM9 Amp Packs Bundle is now updated to firmware 3.0 !

Here's a quick demo of some sounds :

I had to remove the rotary block in a few presets. In the video, the CPU warning is caused by the USB In block, which isn't in the presets, I just added it for reamping some DI tracks for the video

Today I worked on the Axe-Fx III version Synth & Drones pack (that one is easy as it uses only one channel in the amp block, and there's like 10 different amp settings in the 41 presets). The 3.00 update for it is already on my website, both for the Axe-Fx III and for the FM9. But, to be honest... that wasn't necessary. For each preset, I copied the pre-20.04 version of the amp block to channel B, reset the channel A and updated it, and after that compared A & B, and they sounded almost the same ! I did it anyway, and one thing I fixed is the key of the "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" preset. As my band played it in A I forgot that the song was in fact in C.

I also started working on the Cleans, Ambient & SFX pack before realizing, after 5 or 6 presets, that it wasn't necessary either. Updated amps sounds more or less the same than the previous version. I'll check other packs tomorrow, but I suspect that the presets needing an update will be minimal in them too. It's really the amp packs that needed revision !

Last edited:
Well, I finally updated the Cleans, Ambient and SFX pack to firmware 3.00 : the drive blocks (only used in some scenes) needed it. It's a minor change but I didn't want to left any stone unturned :)

I also updated three more packs, again, mostly for the drive blocks : Fremen's Essentials, Pink Floyd, and Boutique+Blues. This last one have 6 more presets and their corresponding cabs, plus I added the Klon in many presets, and a second scenes in some presets that had only one.

Next on the list : Rock & Metal vol 1 & 2, The Brit pack and Richard Hallebeek jazz-rock pack. As it's mostly a drive block update, I should finish everything before the week-end. That is, unless I receive a new guitar tomorrow (Yamaha Revstar) ;)

Well, I finally updated the Cleans, Ambient and SFX pack to firmware 3.00 : the drive blocks (only used in some scenes) needed it. It's a minor change but I didn't want to left any stone unturned :)

I also updated three more packs, again, mostly for the drive blocks : Fremen's Essentials, Pink Floyd, and Boutique+Blues. This last one have 6 more presets and their corresponding cabs, plus I added the Klon in many presets, and a second scenes in some presets that had only one.

Next on the list : Rock & Metal vol 1 & 2, The Brit pack and Richard Hallebeek jazz-rock pack. As it's mostly a drive block update, I should finish everything before the week-end. That is, unless I receive a new guitar tomorrow (Yamaha Revstar) ;)
Yaman revstar Nice! Have you ever thought about making line 6/Yamaha Variax presets? Could also make variax + fractal combined presets

Yaman revstar Nice! Have you ever thought about making line 6/Yamaha Variax presets? Could also make variax + fractal combined presets
I got confirmation on Wednesday that it arrived, I'm going to get it Thursday. As I'm insomniac, I just spent the last 90 minutes updating presets for two and a half more packs - it's currently 3:00 am, yes I'm crazy :p

Regarding the Variax, for Fractal, at some point I wanted to, finally I sold my Variax so it won't happen
However, my Pink Floyd pack for the Helix has a version for Variax ;)

Are now fully updated to firmware 3.00 : Rock & Metal vol 1 & vol 2. For the first two packs, beside the drives, I redialed many amp blocks, some are sounding really spectacular ! Try the dual amp Recto presets and let me know what you think :)

I now need to record demos for most of my FM9 packs. So many things to do, so little time...

Last edited:
I finally re-dialed almost all the Amp blocks of The Brit Pack, I'm proud of this 3.0 update and will record a demo soon !

The Richard Hallebeek Jazz-Rock pack is now available for the FM9, for firmware 3.0. mea culpa, I though it was already available (for firmware 2.02), but either I forgot to send it to my webmaster, or he forgot to upload it !

I just released a video for the "Cleans, Ambient & SFX" FM9 pack, with the latest firmware (3.00) :

No fancy playing or songs here, I just wanted to show various sounds. The pack has 61 presets, including 21 special effects and 38 pristine clean presets, each with 8 scenes, the first 4 being tonal variations (standard, scooped, fat, edge of breakup) and the other 4 “effects” scenes (*). These 38 presets uses 33 different amp models. They can also be used as pedal platform – just bypass the compressor for that. Those presets are also great for P&W, specially the edge of breakup and ambient scenes !

Back
Top Bottom